Upgrades plugin. A few questions.

Hello again

Guys, I started using your Upgrades plugin a while ago.
I'm happy with it so long, but I want to add a few more features (plugins) that users have to pay for.

For example I have a forum plugin from http://simplepressforum.com/ and ecommerce plugin from http://www.instinct.co.nz/e-commerce/
Also I have Donncha's domain mapping plugin.

I want to make these features paid.
So a question - how do I do this?
Is there a piece of code I need to add into each plugin, like for example WPMU plugin filter requires (http://wpmudev.org/project/Wordpress-MU-Plugin-Filter)?
In other words - how do I 'mark' a plugin that I want to make paid and how do I set the amount of credits and 'billing periods' for it?

Thanks in advance.

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

There's some code you have to add into each plugin. Look at the ads plugin for an example.

Basically you add this:

upgrades_register_feature('UNIQUE_PHRASE', 'PLUGIN_NAME', 'PLUGIN_DESCRIPTION');

UNIQUE_PHRASE - just a unique string. I usually us an md5 hash of the name
    PLUGIN_NAME - self explanatory
    PLUGIN_DESCRIPTION - self explanatory

Then you add the upgrades check to the plugin:

if (upgrades_active_feature('UNIQUE_PHRASE') == 'active'){
    //feature enabled
    } else {
    //feature disabled
    }

how do I set the amount of credits and 'billing periods' for it?

After you've done the above and have the plugin uploaded you just add the plugin to a package.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• idealizer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

O-o-h, I should have guessed this :slight_smile:

So basically I need to edit main php file (file that loads the plugin) of each plugin I want to make paid, right?

I find a file that loads the plugin - usually this is a file that contains plugin name, description, author, version and other info.

After first <?php I add this code (of course I fill the data as you instructed):

upgrades_register_feature('UNIQUE_PHRASE', 'PLUGIN_NAME', 'PLUGIN_DESCRIPTION');

Right after the above line I add this code:

} else {
    die
    }

[... here goes the rest of plugin code ...]

Do I understand it right?

Thanks a lot.

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

So basically I need to edit main php file (file that loads the plugin) of each plugin I want to make paid, right?

Exactly.

Do I understand it right?

Almost. Example:

add_action('blah', 'blah_function');
    //other plugin actions filters go here
    }

Thanks,
    Andrew

• idealizer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey,

So all plugins I want to make premium have to be placed into /wp-content/mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/

This pertains 'common' plugins that I usually put into /wp-content/plugins/ and those I put into /wp-content/mu-plugins/ (for example domain mapping).
    Do I get it right?

Also I know that if I put a plugin into /wp-content/plugins/ it can be in its own directory, but if I want the same plugin in /wp-content/mu-plugins/ then it's 'main' file has to be copied into /wp-content/mu-plugins/

What about /wp-content/mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/?
    Can my paid plugins have their own directories inside /wp-content/mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/ or should their 'main' file be copied to /wp-content/mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/ ?

I think this is my last question :slight_smile:
    I'm learning a lot from you guys.

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

So all plugins I want to make premium have to be placed into /wp-content/mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/

It's not required but some plugins may not work if they aren't in that directory.

This pertains 'common' plugins that I usually put into /wp-content/plugins/ and those I put into /wp-content/mu-plugins/ (for example domain mapping).
    Do I get it right?

Correct. Note that some regular wp plugins don't work well outside of /plugins/ and there's not much you can do except open up the plugin and hack it to work.

Also I know that if I put a plugin into /wp-content/plugins/ it can be in its own directory, but if I want the same plugin in /wp-content/mu-plugins/ then it's 'main' file has to be copied into /wp-content/mu-plugins/

Yep. Again some regular wp plugins don't run well outside of /plugins/.

What about /wp-content/mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/?
    Can my paid plugins have their own directories inside /wp-content/mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/ or should their 'main' file be copied to /wp-content/mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/ ?

Main file :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    Andrew

• akares
    • New Recruit

I am also struggling with this a bit. Initially I assumed this plugin would define any plugin in the /plugins or /mu-plugins directories could be made either a paid for feature, or available for free.

Is there really no better way than hacking the existing plugins to work?

I hope I dont seem too forward, but it seems like when I initially saw the Upgrades plugin that this functionality was implied, when really you only get the 4 it comes with, otherwise you are on your own to hack other plugins to show as an upgrade option.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Or is there another place to get compatible plugins?

• idealizer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Andrew,

I have 4 files which came with Upgrades plugin in /wp-content/mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/ directory.
    In other words it look like this:

/mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/ad_removal.php
    /mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/privacy.php
    /mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/quota.php
    /mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins/widget_upgrades_badge.php

Now when I go to my WPMU backend then Site Admin then Upgrades then create a package (wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php?page=upgrades&action=new_package) I don't see any plugins in 15 drop-downs...

I feel I'm missing something obvious but still don't know what it is.

• Newclear
    • New Recruit

Is there a an example (snippet) of a external plugin (not one that comes with the install) that works with this plugin?

I've read all topics on this Plugin and still baffled. The custom plugins I create don't appear in WP-Admin backend (http://www.somewebsite.com/wp-admin/plugins.php)

My sample plugin, named sampleplugin.php, has the following code:
    <?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: MyPluginName
    Version: 1.0
    Plugin URI:
    Author URI:
    Description: Lorem Ipsum.
    */

class MyClass {
    function MyFunction() {
    //some code here
    }
    }

$MyClass = new MyClass();
    ?>

Where in the world does this go:

add_action('blah', 'blah_function');
    //other plugin actions filters go here
    }

And then where exactly to I place sampleplugin.php?

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

it doesn't appear in the Plugins listing

It shouldn't be listed on that page. Only plugins installed in /plugins/ will be listed on the plugins page.

it automatically activates the custom plugin

Make sure you've placed the plugin in the mu-plugins/upgrade-plugins directory as indicated in the instructions.

I was with the impression that it would only "simply make certain plugins available".

You have to modify plugins to work with the Upgrades plugin.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.