upgrading

I am about to upgrade to MarketPress from MP Lite, in order to get help here on 2 issues I have been having with Lite on this site that I am launching this week:
http://www.hickoryhillheather.com

I am worried that I could lose all my work customizing MP Lite.
What can I expect when I upgrade?

I have modified the icons.css as well as the marketpress.php

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya tblue,

It's difficult to say as we don't know what modifications you've made to marketpress.php.

All the information about your site and ecommerce setup are kept in the database - so there's no danger of losing that. I'd keep a copy of the lite version you've modified and then do a full upgrade. Then, add your custom functions/designs back in.

Ideally, you'd add custom styles into a child-theme so that you wouldn't need to edit the core plugin and face this during upgrades.

If you have more specific questions or run into any issues, just let us know though.

Thanks!

• tblue
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks for your response. All I have done to the marketpress.php is to change the "Products" to read "Plants" in a couple of places--I do have a copy saved separately but didn't want to use it to overwrite anything newer or different with it that may be in the MP upgrade.

I also have the customized icons.css saved and can reload it after install. Again, I wasn't sure if the any of the styles would be different with the MP upgrade. I thought I read that when you upgrade you have a lot more options for customizing css.

I have created a child theme, but wasn't sure how to save a plugin css file correctly to my child theme since the plugins are not in the themes folder.

Any advice appreciated.
    I am going to go ahead and upgrade form Lite now and cross my fingers.

• tblue

Quick question:
    The upgrade is called "marketpress" and the old lite version is called "wordpress-ecommerce"?
    After upgrading I am still seeing 2 versions on my server and want to delete the old (Or should I leave it there?).
    Just wanted to double-check.
    Thanks.

Otherwise, upgrade seems fine, no problems so far!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Thanks David for chiming in.

Also, tblue, there are other ways of changing the word 'products' to plants so that you don't have to go back through and change it with each plugin update.

If you let us know what where your looking to change this word (admin, the url, frontend) we can help provide that so you can update the plugin anytime :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• tblue

Ooh that would be fantastic, masonjames--hey but we are in the wrong thread!
    David helped me with this in [Minor php customization].

But I would love to know how to do this without worrying about it every time I upgrade--especially since it may not be me doing the upgrade.

• tblue

masonjames:
    you said:

"Also, tblue, there are other ways of changing the word 'products' to plants so that you don't have to go back through and change it with each plugin update."

Can you tell me how to do this?

Thanks a bunch!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.