Upgrading a theme, and WordPress and Plug-ins

I just wanted to make sure that I upgrade a WordPress site correctly. I have a few questions please...
1) Does it matter if you upgrade a custom purchased theme (from ThemeForest) first or WordPress first? Which is the correct order for WP, Theme and plug-ins to be upgraded?
2) the newest version of WordPress on my hosting server is 4.3.1, so I'm trying to determine if the latest version of Salient Theme is compatible with 4.3.1? On the ThemeForest site it only lists 4.3, not 4.3.1, so do you know if that matters? If it will work with 4.3 does that mean it will work with 4.3.1?
4) I am using a child theme, so am I correct that all I need to do to upgrade the parent theme Salient, is to replace the Salient folder under /themes/?
5) Do you happen to know... when I download the zip file from Theme Forest, how do I tell if it's the latest version of the theme?

I realize this is not a ThemeForest forum, but I need to get this site updated today, and it does take a long time for the theme author to reply, so I was hoping you might know the answer to some of these questions.

Thank you so much!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @webdesyne,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

1) Does it matter if you upgrade a custom purchased theme (from ThemeForest) first or WordPress first? Which is the correct order for WP, Theme and plug-ins to be upgraded?

There's no really any difference in which order you do the update especially if there is no major difference in version you are upgrading from.
    Either way it's best to make full site backup before performing the updates so you stay on the safe side.

2) the newest version of WordPress on my hosting server is 4.3.1, so I'm trying to determine if the latest version of Salient Theme is compatible with 4.3.1? On the ThemeForest site it only lists 4.3, not 4.3.1, so do you know if that matters? If it will work with 4.3 does that mean it will work with 4.3.1?

Salient theme has frequent updates so you shouldn't have any issues after updating to WP 4.3.1, I've also checked their changelog and since the theme update for WP 4.3 there were quite a few updates to the theme so if there were any issues with 4.3.1 they probably ironed that out already.
    Also, 4.3.1 is just a minor update from 4.3 and shouldn't affect any of your theme or plugin functionality.

4) I am using a child theme, so am I correct that all I need to do to upgrade the parent theme Salient, is to replace the Salient folder under /themes/?

That is correct, main purpose of child theme is to allow you to update your parent theme but still keep the custom changes made in child theme.

5) Do you happen to know... when I download the zip file from Theme Forest, how do I tell if it's the latest version of the theme?

I haven't downloaded the theme from themeforest for quite some time now so not sure how the process work now but I remember from before that downloading something from your account will get you latest version.

If you do want to check it anyways, in order to be sure about it, you can unzip your theme and in main folder you should see style.css file, open that file and in first couple of lines you should see theme info including the version number, it will look like this:
    Version: 1.2

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.