Upgrading a user

I put the [renewform] shortcode on my page and it only shows what level I'm at, but no ugrade button

Any ideas?

• Mason

HIya rbellevi,

It could be several things. My first thought would be that your other subscriptions are not public and active. Let's check that first? Also, note that you can set the amount of time that a person has to wait before they are allowed to upgrade under Membership>Options.

Let us know. There's a lot of other things to check, but those are the first that come to mind.

Thanks!

• rbellevi

So I checked out the option you mention and it was set to 30 days. I changed it to 1 day and I still saw the same problem. I created a new user just to make sure it wasn't a grandfathering issue.

I was able to narrow down my issue a little further however. I noticed that the payment gateway was set to admin default on all users. When I played with the gateway, setting it to the free gateway and I saw a cancel subscription button

Looked good, however it said that upgrades were not available, and displayed my premium membership details.

Then I changed the gateway to paypal with subscription, and my cancel subscription button changed to a paypal cancel button, and upgrades were available in a paypal button. Looks better, but now I can't cancel a free gateway membership

I need to use the free gateway to accept 0.00 memberships. These need to be able to upgrade to a paid membership with paypal.

Issues/bugs?:

1) The default gateway for my users is being set to admin default which does not provide any useful options for my users.
    2) When on the free gateway, I can't upgrade, but I can cancel my membership.
    3) When I move to the paypal subscription gateway, I get paypal buttons, and upgrades work, but the user can't cancel their membership because it goes to paypal.
    4) Once a user cancels, there's no way for the user to change their mind, or an "are you sure" question.

Questions:

1) Can I set the default payment gateway?
    2) Is there a way to tie the payment gateway to the membership level? In other words, I need the cancel button to apply to the users current level payment gateway, and the upgrade option to be tied to the payment gateway required for the new level?
    3) How can a user downgrade from a paid to a free membership?

• aecnu

Greetings rbellevi,

1) Can I set the default payment gateway?

Yes and you must set a gateway for every level for it to work.

2) Is there a way to tie the payment gateway to the membership level?

Yes it is the only way.

2b) In other words, I need the cancel button to apply to the users current level payment gateway, and the upgrade option to be tied to the payment gateway required for the new level?

Well if using PayPal when the end users cancels their subsciption on PayPal, no matter what PayPal is going to send the IPN to the originating url telling that the subscription has been cancelled.

3) How can a user downgrade from a paid to a free membership?

I think cancelling their subscription will do the trick - but unknown if it prorates or shuts em down on the spot.

Each subscription must have an active gateway assigned to it and must be activated itself to work.

With Membership plugin every little detail must be observed for it to work correctly.

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.