Upgrading CleanStart by ThemeForest author: PlethoraThemes

I am new to many aspects of WordPress, and one of them is upgrading a theme, especially when I'm using a child-theme. Can you please tell me how to upgrade a theme, when I'm using a child theme? In my child theme folder, I only have the files: function.php, style.css and screenshot.png, as well as a folder named "extend."

I know I need to backup all files and the database, but I'm not clear on how I keep my settings and customizations from being lost. Not knowing, has kept me from upgrading.

I'm currently using version 1.1, and I'm told there is now a version 1.4.4

I know this is dumb, but isn' t the point of having a child theme so that your customizations are not lost during an upgrade?

Should the upgrade be done manually, or does it need to be done through the WP Admin? If the admin, then do you switch to the parent theme and upgrade then back to the child theme? I'm having a problem wrapping my brain around how all my settings and options will be saved if I upgrade. I've been working on this site for a client for 5 months, and if I mess anything up by upgrading, then I'll have to eat that time. However, I need to upgrade to get the menu to work properly on mobile devices, a client requirement.

Can you please be as specific as possible pertaining to this theme, if there is someone who has worked with this theme before, and can help me understand, I would be very grateful how to upgrade without losing my settings.

Is there a private way I can send you the URL?

Thank you so much,
elizabeth

• Michelle Shull

Hi, elizabeth!

I have very good news for you. All you need to do is run the update for the parent theme. Your changes are all tucked into your child theme, so they won't be affected by the update at all. You don't need to switch to the parent theme to update, either, you can leave things exactly as they are.

The backup is just a precaution, 99 times out of 100, updating a parent theme won't cause you any more worries than waiting a minute or two for the update to complete. Backing up your site is still a good idea before you do anything major (like a really complex plugin with an update, or updating to a new version of WordPress) as well as taking regular backups in case something went horribly awry, but a theme update is one area where it's not super, super, super critical. It won't hurt anything to take a backup anyway, just in case, but you shouldn't need it.

PS, have you seen our Snapshot backup tool? I think you'd like it. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

You're all good. Make a cup of coffee, hit update, and let WordPress handle this whole thing for you, stress free. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.