Upgrading Membership Plugin White Screens Register Page

Upgrading from free version 3.4 of Membership to Membership Premium 3.5 causes the plugin to break / white screen.

I understand there is a potential conflict between Membership and Contact Form 7 and Captscha, so I removed those plugins. Still Membership doesn't work properly. So, I removed every other plugin I had but the Membership plugin still doesn't work. I also changed themes and this doesn't make the plugin work. I also tried regenerating permalinks. Arrrgh! Looks like I may need to downgrade to a full version of Membership but older than the current one, yes?

When I say it doesn't work properly, I mean... the subscription signup box that is added to the registration page whitescreens the page. When plugin is deactivated, the page shows up again. I also tried switching to a different page for signup. Same problem.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

• Ash

Hello @H.Cherdon

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

Do you mean were you using the free version of membership plugin which is hosted in wp.org?

Would you please enable debug mode and check if any error is shown in that page?

To enable debug mode please edit a line in your wp-config.php:
    Change

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

to

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Please let us know.

Cheers
    Ash

• H.Cherdon

Hi Ash, thank you.

Debug enabled and this is the error:

Notice: load_plugin_textdomain was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.7 with no alternative available. in /home4/austinf6/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3195

I checked the functions file and this is what is shows:

add_shortcode( 'et_pb_login', 'et_pb_login' );
    function et_pb_login( $atts, $content = null ) {
    extract( shortcode_atts( array(
    'module_id' => '',
    'module_class' => '',
    'title' => '',
    'background_color' => et_get_option( 'accent_color', '#7EBEC5' ),
    'background_layout' => 'dark',
    (line 3195) 'text_orientation' => 'left',
    'use_background_color' => 'on',
    'current_page_redirect' => 'off',
    ), $atts
    ) );

• Michael Bissett

Hey @H.Cherdon,

While version 3.4 was released over a year & a half ago, you can obtain it by going to the project page:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

And clicking on the "changelog" link on the right, that'll allow you to browse the list of past versions released. The version numbers will be shown as links while you're logged in, just click on that link to download a past version.

Before you do that though, there's a couple of things I'd like to ask.

One being, how did you upgrade from the free 3.4 version to the premium 3.5 version? Did you uninstall the free version first before upgrading to the premium version?

Also, in regards to adding WP_DEBUG to wp-config.php, could you replace:

with this:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors',0);

That'll allow you to output the errors to a log file, found in wp-content/debug.log. That notice you posted earlier doesn't look like it's indicating a problem, but I'd be curious to see what the log file would look like when you try going to the registration page.

Could you try doing that for me first, and posting the output of the log file? If it's particularly long, could you instead attach the log as a .txt file?

Thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Michael

• H.Cherdon

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the help.

The first time I upgraded I had already installed the free Membership plug-in through the WordPress admin plug-in downloader. I did not uninstall it before I installed Membership Premium. I just uploaded Membership Premium as a zip file in the admin window. After it didn't work, and some troubleshooting, I deactivated and uninstalled membership, then did a fresh install of membership premium. No worky.

I think it's worth mentioning that I'm using elegantthemes.com's Divi 2.0 theme. I just found another thread that sells the membership plug-in and Divi are not compatible. Maybe this is the problem? I have built more than 100 pages using the Divi page builder, so this is a real bummer if I can't use these two together.

I tried switching to a different theme on the website but it still didn't seem to work. Perhaps because of whatever the Divi page builder does to the pages still wouldn't allow the Membership code to work?

I did the debug thing and have attached the file. Or at least I think I did.

I sure appreciate the help.

Thanks,
    Cherdon

• Michael Bissett

Hey @H.Cherdon,

Thanks for all the info, appreciate it! :slight_smile:

The debug log doesn't appear to be giving any signals as to what's going on, and if it were the Divi theme, the issue should have cleared up when you switched themes.

It looks like a deeper look is necessary here. Can you please send in:

- In the subject field add "Attn: Michael Bissett”
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details
    - Include FTP log-in details
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.