Upgrading to CoursePress Pro

I am new to WPMUDEV. Just started trial period today. I am interested in upgrading from CoursePress to CoursePress Pro. I have CoursePress currently configured on this site. I wish to load/upgrade CPPro without losing the (single) course I have already set up. Could you please assist or advise?

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well today.

Please follow these steps to upgrade from CoursePress to CoursePressPro.

1. Take a backup of your site. You can use our Snapshot Pro plugin for this.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/
    2. Deactivate the free version of CoursePress and then delete it.
    NOTE: Since all the content is in the database, nothing should be lost.
    3. Install and activate CoursePressPro.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/coursepress-pro/

Please let me know if you require further help with this process, I will be more than happy to help. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Alex :smiley:

• Charles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks. It appears I was able to upgrade successfully. I am now trying to get CPPro to work (look) properly. I am struggling a bit after I modified the slug for "courses". I changed it to "Academy" and have lost the page somehow. I believe I did it as described. I also changed it in my menu settings. Are you abel to go in and see what I might have done wrong? I am trying to add a link to my menu that will take users directly to a listing of all my current courses. Pretty basic stuff. Thx. http://www.firstsecuritysystems.com

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are having a great day!

Firstly, sorry for asking for the link again, I did not see your previous reply.

Second, could you please complete a plugin/theme compatibility test so we can figure out this weird issue?
    1. Deactivate all plugins but CoursePressPro.
    2. Activate your plugins one by one until you find the plugin that is causing the issue.
    3. If plugins don't turn anything up, please switch your theme over to the Twenty Fifteen theme to see if this fixes the issue.

Also you should clear all caching plugins and server side caches.

Please let me know the results.

Cheers,

• Charles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you. Deactivating the plugins and adding them back one by one seems to have worked. Although I have not identified the exact one that is causing the conflict, it was apparently not one that I need/want too much.

Now that you can see my Academy landing page, can you please show me how to remove the side panel on that page?http://www.firstsecuritysystems.com/academy/

Thanks!

c

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

Unfortunately, I actually cannot see the page, could you please try the compatibility test again? Be sure to test in a private browsing window to make sure cache does not effect your testing results. Here is the private browsing view of the link above.

Please let me know when the page is accessible.

Cheers,

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

I just logged in with support access and added the following CSS code in your Divi theme Custom CSS box, can you please check and confirm this is how the site should look?

.post-type-archive-course #sidebar {
    display: none;
    }
    .post-type-archive-course #left-area {
    width: 100%;
    }

Have a great day! Cheers,

• Charles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Alex,

Thank you for your help. It does appear that you have removed the side bar content on that page. Unfortunately, if you look at your screen grab, you will still see a vertical line where the side bar was... Also, the side bar remains on all the other CPPro "pages"... I am coming to the conclusion that CP doesn't play well with my Elegant Theme DIVI. I haven't updated it in a while either. I may have to choose to switch themes.

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

I am sorry for the delay on this ticket, Divi proved to be a bit of a challenge. I have just finished adding this CSS, could you please check to make sure it is showing desired results?

Incorrect code edited, new CSS posted below.

Please let me know if I can help you in any other styling changes.

Cheers,

• Alex Stine
      • System Administrator

Hello,

Sorry, wrong CSS code, I added this.

/*Hide sidebar on course page*/
      .post-type-archive-course #main-content .container:before {
      width: 0;
      }
      .post-type-archive-course #sidebar {
      }
      .post-type-archive-course #left-area {
      }
      .single-course #sidebar {
      }
      .single-course #left-area {
      }
      .single-course #main-content .container:before {
      width: 0;
      }`
      Cheers,

• Charles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks again for all your efforts. The "Academy" page looks great. Unfortunately, whatever is causing the sidebar to show on the CPPro "main page" is causing it throughout the rest of the plugin. Take a look at all the (sub pages) course pages. It's as if there is a setting that pulls a default page layout. If I could just find the default layout for CPPro, I would set it to full wide page.

• Charles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Looks like I may need to get away from the Divi theme if I expect to solve this.

I have a bigger issue to solve with your help please. I am about to send out invites to students to try my first course. But before I do, I want to run a complete dry run myself. I began by sending another email I have an invite. I got the email and opened the link in the invite email to take the next step. My expectation is that I would go to a page that would allow me to enter the PASSCODE given in the email and start the process. Here is the link in the email: http://www.firstsecuritysystems.com/academy/the-hills-church-drivers-training-course/

From this page, I can find no options for entering my PASSCODE or going anywhere. I don't think it is a cache issue, and I used another browser, but I am stuck. Could you please advise? Thx.

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

If your current theme is just not working out, we do have a default CoursePress theme that should work quite a bit better with CoursePressPro. You can learn how to activate it on the product usage page.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/coursepress-pro#product-usage

I think switching to the default theme is best so you know there will be no further compatibility issues between CoursePressPro and your theme. On my theme, I can see an option to SIGNUP. That button will open a popup to create an account and enter the Course Passcode.

Please let me know if I can help you in any further questions.

Cheers,

• Charles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Well, the further I go, the farther away I seem to be. I switched to the CPP theme and that didn't seem to work. I tried the default WP theme and that didn't work either. I can't seem to get the CPP plugin to work as advertised and I am running out of time. Surely it has to work? Is there anything at all you can do? Feel free to run tests and experiment with themes overnight. I ran a backup incase I lost some of the website.

• Charles
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

That is correct. Still no sign up button. Thin that is all I lack. It should work and I am really looking forward to it. If you are seeing it, maybe you could send me a screen shot and tell me what OS platform you are using. Thx!

charles

• Alex Stine
    • System Administrator

Hello,
    Hope you are well.

I have successfully fixed this issue on your site. I went to Settings > General and checked the option Anyone can register. The default role that is given to a registered user is currently set at Subscriber. The SIGNUP button is now showing. Could you please check and confirm?

If there is anymore styling questions you have, please let me know and I will try my best to help you out.

Cheers,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.