Upgrading Ultimate Branding Above Version 1.8.0.1 CSS Panel Does Not Work

Hello,

When upgrading Ultimate Branding above Version 1.8.0.1 on a WP 4.3.2 multisite network the CSS panel will not work. It does not display an editable area for CSS.

The upgrade also breaks Debug Bar and it will no longer work.

This appears in the error logs after upgrade.

29-Jan-2016 04:06:18 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function set_ub_url() in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding.php on line 40

[29-Jan-2016 04:06:18 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function set_ub_url() in /home/soobabiz/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding.php on line 40

Rolling the plugin back to Version 1.8.0.1 the CSS panel works fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Sajid

Hi @SooBahkDo,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am using Ultimate Branding version 1.8.2 on WordPress Multisite 4.4.1 on my own site and CSS section is working just fine for me.

Please update your WordPress to latest version first and then update the Ultimate Branding plugin. We only support compatibility with latest version of WordPress.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• SooBahkDo

Hi Sajid,

Thanks for weighing in; however, I have already tried that and many more troubleshooting tactics and everytime, they point back to a change that was made after v1.8.0.1 as the root issue.

Whatever was changed in the next incremental version above 1.8.01. started the conflict and we have tried upgrading every version since without success.

Usually attempts to upgrade result in a crashed site.

It appears to result in some kind of conflict and I have already done the deactivate all plugins and reactivate one-by-one until the site breaks and that process identified Special Recent Posts as the plugin conflicting with Ultimate Branding. I provided both plugins to the WPMUDEV rep assisting at that time and they were unable to reproduce the conflict locally, so I dropped the issue hoping time and upgrades would fix it.

I also reported the issue to the Developer and sine then it appears the developer of Special Recent Posts has abandoned the plugin. No one has been able to identify what changed after UB 1.8.01 that has since resulted in conflicts that prevent us from upgrading. It is apparently a quirky issue.

We just solved a similar strange issue with another plugin crashing another site after a LOT LOT LOT of hair pulling and the problem was a single space in the code where it should not have been. The plugin worked fine EXCEPT in combination with one other plugin. Once the extra space was identified and removed, then both plugins lived together happily ever after. I suspect that may be the kind of issue at play here.

This newest version of Ultimate Branding is the only one that did not initially crash the site, so I went through all the plugin functions to see if I could find anything strange and that is when I discovered the Admin CSS panels did not work. Whatever was conflicting also BREAKS DEGUG Bar. It turns red and becomes totally unresponsive.

I thought the fact that the Admin CSS panel was not working might provide a clue as to the source of the issue.

This may or may not be related but it is reported by Query Monitor.

Strict Non-static method UB_Admin_Bar::_prefix_styles() should not be called statically 1 wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/custom-admin-bar-files/inc/UB_Admin_Bar.php:441 UB_Admin_Bar::_prefix_styles()
    UB_Admin_Bar::styles()
    UB_Admin_Bar->before_admin_bar_render()
    do_action('wp_before_admin_bar_render')
    wp_admin_bar_render()
    do_action('wp_footer')
    wp_footer()
    load_template('~/wp-content/themes/magnium/footer.php')
    locate_template()
    get_footer() Plugin: ultimate-branding

• Sajid

Hu @SooBahkDo,

I can see the plugin you mention is no loner being supported by the plugin developer itself. I would suggest you to find alternate plugin instead of using an obsolete one. This can cause you serious security issues sooner or later as well as compatibility issues with other plugins.

The notice and warnings you posted are not causing this issue. They are just notifications for developers only to optimize the code accordingly.

If you really want to figure this out and don't know the code then perhaps you might need to hired a third party developer to this job for you. Because digging into an obsolete plugin is complex job and beyond the level of support we can provide here.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• SooBahkDo

Hello Sajid,

I understand your remarks; however, I still submit that there is a code problem of some kind in Ultimate branding.

Maybe our installation is just more sensitive to it but SOMETHING changed after version 1.8.0.1 which has prevented upgrades for us since then.

I have reported this at each point version upgrade since then.

If I was a developer who was responding to our unusual issue by diligently looking for any possible cause in the code, I might wonder if fixing this issue in the code might have any effect.

Warning: getimagesize(/wp-content/uploads/ultimate-branding/includes/login-image/login-form-image.png): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
    wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/login-image.php 120

Not only does the directory being called for not exist in the plugin, but neither does the image. Apparently not a major issue, for the majority of users, but might it cause a hiccup on our site? Who knows? Would it hurt to fix it? Probably not.

What about this one:

WARNING: wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/custom-admin-bar-files/inc/UB_Admin_Bar.php:612 - in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given
    require('wp-admin/plugins.php'), require_once('wp-admin/admin-header.php'), do_action('in_admin_header'), call_user_func_array, wp_admin_bar_render, do_action_ref_array, call_user_func_array, UB_Admin_Bar->remove_menus_from_admin_bar, in_array

Again, apparently not a major issue, for the majority of users, but might it cause a hiccup on our site? Who knows? Would it hurt to fix it? Probably not.

What about this one:

NOTICE: wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/custom-admin-bar-files/inc/UB_Admin_Bar.php:612 - Undefined index: wp_menu_roles
    require('wp-admin/plugins.php'), require_once('wp-admin/admin-header.php'), do_action('in_admin_header'), call_user_func_array, wp_admin_bar_render, do_action_ref_array, call_user_func_array, UB_Admin_Bar->remove_menus_from_admin_bar

The kind of support I would hope for is the kind that would say, "Hey we'll fix these various notices, warnings, etc. in a new point version and let you try that just to help eliminate variables that might be contributing to your issue."

The majority of other developers that I take the time to report notices, warnings, errors, etc. to (and there are a LOT of them) then take the time and opportunity to implement improvements to their code and release a new point version that resolves the reported issues.

I am not experiencing that here which is a big disappointment because I am such a fan of WPMUDEV.

WHAT I HAVE DETERMINED IS THIS:

When I upgrade from 1.8.01 to 1.8.2 it crashes our server with a 500 error.

If I leave all version 1.8.2 files on the server and begin overwriting those files one by one via FTP with version 1.8.0.1 files which are all known to work fine, the server returns to working condition upon replacing this single file:

admin-help-content.php

Even the Admin CSS feature originally cited in this ticket returns to working order after replacing this file with the older version.

Comparing the 1.8.01 version of this file to the 1.8.2 version of the file, there are significant coding differences and I submit that SOMETHING about the changes in this file results in whatever conflict or issue we are experiencing.

• SooBahkDo

Any new perspectives on this?

WHAT I HAVE DETERMINED IS THIS:

When I upgrade from 1.8.01 to 1.8.2 it crashes our server with a 500 error.

If I leave all version 1.8.2 files on the server and begin overwriting those files one by one via FTP with version 1.8.0.1 files which are all known to work fine, the server returns to working condition upon replacing this single file:

admin-help-content.php

Even the Admin CSS feature originally cited in this ticket returns to working order after replacing this file with the older version.

Comparing the 1.8.01 version of this file to the 1.8.2 version of the file, there are significant coding differences and I submit that SOMETHING about the changes in this file results in whatever conflict or issue we are experiencing.

• Sajid

Hi @SooBahkDo,

I am sorry for confusion, I did mean we would not fix the notices warnings in our plugin. My intention were about the other plugin you mentioned earlier.

We do appreciate the effort made by our valuable members for reporting such issue in our plugin and we constantly keep them updated.

I will notify the developer about theses changes and we will surely fix them in next version of this plugin.

Thanks again for bringing this into our attention and I am sending some points your way for appreciation :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• SooBahkDo

Hello Sajid,

Is there any fix for the following while we wait for an update?

WARNING: wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/custom-admin-bar-files/inc/UB_Admin_Bar.php:612 - in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given
    require_once('wp-admin/admin-header.php'), do_action('in_admin_header'), call_user_func_array, wp_admin_bar_render, do_action_ref_array, call_user_func_array, UB_Admin_Bar->remove_menus_from_admin_bar, in_array

WARNING: wp-includes/class-wp-http-encoding.php:58 - gzinflate(): data error
    WP_List_Table->display, WP_List_Table->display_rows_or_placeholder, WP_Plugins_List_Table->display_rows, WP_Plugins_List_Table->single_row, do_action('after_plugin_row_wpfront-user-role-editor-business-pro/wpfront-user-role-editor.php'), call_user_func_array, EDD_SL_Plugin_Updater->show_update_notification, set_site_transient, apply_filters('pre_set_site_transient_update_plugins'), call_user_func_array, Vc_Updating_Manager->check_update, Vc_Updating_Manager->getRemote_version, wp_remote_post, WP_Http->post, WP_Http->request, WP_Http->_dispatch_request, WP_Http_Curl->request, WP_Http_Encoding::decompress, gzinflate

NOTICE: wp-content/plugins/ultimate-branding/ultimate-branding-files/modules/custom-admin-bar-files/inc/UB_Admin_Bar.php:612 - Undefined index: wp_menu_roles
    require_once('wp-admin/admin-header.php'), do_action('in_admin_header'), call_user_func_array, wp_admin_bar_render, do_action_ref_array, call_user_func_array, UB_Admin_Bar->remove_menus_from_admin_bar

• Nastia

Hello @SooBahkDo, I hope you are well today!

I hope you don't mind me chiming in here :slight_smile:

The warning you posted above are not causing any issues. They are notifications to a developer to make some improvements. As I see my colleague Sajid, already has notified the developers about these notifications. Please note that, developer response might be slower than usual staff response, so we really appreciate your patience on this.

Thank you @SooBahkDo

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Nastia

Hello SooBahkDo ,

Please accept our apologies for the delay here.

Is the warning still there with the WordPress Multisite ver. 4.6.1? If they are, would you please send to use your credentials so we can have a closer look?

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form http://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: “Attn: Nastia”
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Login URL
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

Select “I have a different question” for your topic - this and the subject line to ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.