uploaded Membership plugin, and now WP Dashboard is blank

Hi,

I'm using WP version 3.2.1., and I just uploaded the "membership" plugin according to the instructions.
I refresh my WP Dashboard, and now the whole screen is blank. When I remove it, the Dashboard reverts back to it's original state.

What am I doing wrong? Please advise. Thanks!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Hmm, that suggests that either;
    - some of the files are missing from the upload
    - some of the files have been corrupted during upload
    - some files don't have the correct permissions or owner/group settings.

So, can you check that;
    - all the files have uploaded (you could just upload them all again)
    - all the files appear to be the right size (you don't need to check everyone, just glance)
    - check that the permissions are 755 or the same as the other plugins you have installed
    - have a look at the owner/group settings (there should be a column for that) and check they match the other WordPress files.

If you need help with that, post a screenshot of your FTP program showing the plugins directory and the main membership plugin files.

Cheers,
    Phil

• cmg2011
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I followed your directions, and I'm still having the same issue.
    Screen shot: vhttp://screencast.com/t/4WJdWtE1

I tried moving all of the files from the "membership" folder to plugins folder and the blank screen disappeared; however, it automatically rendered the plugin inactive.

I download and upload WP plugins all day long on this website and others and have never seen this issue before.

By the way, I'm using Filezilla for FTP and I'm on a Mac.

Please advise. Thanks!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I tried moving all of the files from the "membership" folder to plugins folder

If you moved the files to the plugins folder, where were they before?

The screenshot you posted shows the Membership plugin files exactly where they should be.

You should now be able to activate and use the plugin.

Phil

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Thanks for that. It's really crucial that I understand the answer to this question;

If you moved the files to the plugins folder, where were they before?

That suggests that when you activated Membership it wasn't already in the plugins directory.

If a plugin is active and then you move it's files, it will become inactive as WordPress no longer knows what files to load for that plugin.

Can you clarify exactly where the plugin files were before you moved them please?

Thanks,
    Phil

• cmg2011
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Phil,

How are you?

Originally, I followed all of the directions according to WPMU Dev; however, it produced a blank page.

When I discovered the blank admin page, I moved all of the files from the "membership" folder to the plugins directory. The blank page went away, but the membership plugin was automatically deactivated.

Currently, all of the files are back in the membership folder.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Fine thanks :slight_smile:

I suspect that because you moved the files the data may have gotten confused. It sounds like you may need to flush all the data out and start again (this means you will lose any levels etc).

To do that, delete any table beginning with wp_m_ (where wp_ is your database prefix as set in wp-config.php) from your database.

Make sure to back up the database first.

Then re-activate membership and it should be fine.

Phil

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Cheers,
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.