Uploading a WP website to my web hosting.

A colleague has asked me to take over hosting his website and has given me a ‘backup’ of his site. It looks like he has all the normal WP installation files, plus a folder called _bd_backup with a copy of htaccess plus one sql file. Am I correct that the sequence is to:

1. create a fresh WP install.

2. Load his backup over the top of it (FTP)

3. Edit the wpconfig file with the database setting I put in above.

I’m not sure that is correct, and I’m lost on the next steps.

Do I need to ensure I am using the same version of WP?

Thanks.

Mark

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there Mark,

Thanks for your post.

For maximum compatibility you should use the same WordPress version.

Steps are as below :

1: Install WordPress on the new site

2: Upload the backup and replace the content from those in the backup

3: import the db backup in the new database that is created with the new WordPress installation and that should be it.

Did you try that ?

Cheers, PC

• Incoming
    • New Recruit

Thanks for being so quick PC.

I’m actually installing it on a localhost on my computer, while I test it all out, but the principles should all be the same.

1. I did a new install of wordpress (as per your step 1)

2. I then overwrote this with the install with the backup.

I assume i have to then edit the WPconfig file with the database name, username and password (as per the way I have set it up in step 1).

I’m not sure how I import the database. I think that is the problem. How do I do that please?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there,

Thanks for posting back

I assume i have to then edit the WPconfig file with the database name, username and password (as per the way I have set it up in step 1).

I’m not sure how I import the database. I think that is the problem. How do I do that please?

Yes you will need to import the database and then make sure that the db details in wp config are same as the actual new database.

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-move-wordpress-from-local-server-to-live-site/ is a step by step guide :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• Incoming
    • New Recruit

Hi PC. The link is awesome but is not where I am having a problem. I am loading the website onto a localhost fist and testing it prior to uploading it to the server. I have developed a number of website like this and it is good.

My problem is that I am not sure how to set up the friends website on my localhost. This is what I have done so far.

1. Installed a fresh copy of wordpress on my localhost

2. Created a database entry with PHPMyAdmin

I check and the website works (albeit it is not the friends website) in my browser and I can edit it with WPAdmin

3. I copy the files he sent me over the top of the ones in step (1)

4. I edit the WPconfig.php file back to the original settings

At this point I cannot get the website to show on my browser any more or log in using WPAdmin.

I also have no idea how to install the database.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mark

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there Mark,

Did your friend send you the database backup for his site ?

If yes, then you will need to import that database in the one you created on your local host for the new site. Then only the site would work. The site content is all saved in the database.

Did you read the link I gave above on the part where it tells you how to export and import a database ?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.