[Uptime Monitor] Uptime Monitor's user agent

Hello WPMU Dev team,

We've been using Uptime Robot for a long time (free version) and wanted to try Uptime Monitor to see what kind of features and integrations it has to offer.

We believe that our server is blocking the feature from our robots.txt file or the WordPress' setting "Discourage search engines".

What would be the user agent being used when checking a server availability through Uptime Monitor?

Also, is there a page that explains what the feature can do? (does it check the SSL? does it check subsites individually? etc)

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Magik Web

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

The Uptime monitor checks whether the site that you registered with The Hub (your WPMU DEV account) is available. It does that by periodically by sending a request (just like a browser would do) for HTTP headers to the registered domains and it follows the protocol that site is registered with.

If the site is registered in The Hub with “http://” prefix, it will try to contact it over HTTP connection and if it’s registered with “https://” prefix, it will go over HTTPS but it doesn’t check certificate itself and it doesn’t “scan” the site and/or certificate against possible issue. It’s fetching the specific URL registered in The Hub so in 99 cases that would be the homepage of the site.

If it doesn’t get a timely response or the response includes HTTP headers that explicitly state that site’s not online (e.g. 404 not found) it considers it down and lets you know about it.

As for user-agent. It should follow this scheme:

WPMUDEV Uptime Monitor 4.0 (https://premium.wpmudev.org)

I’m not quite sure about the versin (if it still is 4.0 currently) but the “pattern” would be the same so you should be able to white-list it anyway.

You might also want to white-list these two IPs:

If you have any additional questions, let me know please.

Best regards,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Magik Web

There's actually not many options there :slight_smile: This is how it looks in site's back-end after activation (please note: it's on site where it wasn't used so far, hence no data and 0% availability):

And this is in The Hub (it's from a different site so it contains some data):

As you can see, it's quite easy to use as there's not many things to be set :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Adam

• Vince
    • Flash Drive

Thank you once more Adam, this is exactly what we wanted to know.

In our setup, it’s possible for a subsite to be down for various reasons while the root site is up, so each subsite has its own uptime monitoring. I don’t think it’s possible for now in Uptime Monitor, but the potential is huge. Once again, I like how it’s integrated with the website through the hub.

Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.