Uptime monitoring on a site with a redirect

HI,

My site is redirected to http://www.sanlambewell.co.za/sanlam (this effectively acts as the home page for that domain). Now when I try activate uptime monitoring I get the following message:

“It appears that your home_url setting is trying to redirect to another domain. This often happens when you are forcing https but haven’t updated your site setting for that. Please verify that the home_url option of your WP install is correct, then click refresh updates in the Dashboard plugin.”

So what is the correct way to get the domain added? Should I be adding each individual multisite to the dashboard separately?

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello Gary ,

Hope you are doing well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

I am not sure how you are redirecting your site so would you please tell me how you are redirecting your main site ?

So what is the correct way to get the domain added? Should I be adding each individual multisite to the dashboard separately?

Yes to add domain into the list, its important that you add each individual multisite to the dashboard.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,

Milan

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Gary,

If I understand this correctly you’re not allowing access to your main site, it actually redirects to your sanlam subsite, is that correct?

I have forwarded this thread to our developers to check if this kind of setup could work with Uptime Monitor.

In the meantime can you tell me the reason for redirecting your main site to subsite and not instead set that subsite as your main site?

Best regards,

Predrag

• Gary
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi

Yes that is right, the main site is not accessible (or setup/configured for that matter). It was a client choice, they wanted each sub-site accessed in the same way. In another thread, I was advised to add each sub-site separately in order to back them up and monitor them?

The biggest reason we chose WPMUDEV was firstly for the backup function and secondly for the Uptime monitoring.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Gary!

For Uptime Monitoring to work the site monitored has to be directly accessible “from outside” and such a redirected setup is not currently handled. When our “robot” calls the site, it reads the HTTP response code and the redirect is a, sort of, way of telling it that the “original site that’s supposed to be here is no longer here”. This is pretty much equal to the “site not available”.

It’s very uncommon setup that you got there and I must say I never came across similar one before. I’m wondering though if we couldn’t override this issue with a little trick by changing the way the redirect happens on your site: so we could detect either our monitoring service IP or user-agent string (or both) and then do not perform redirect for these requests. I’m not sure if this is possible/if this would work yet so I asked Uptime developers about it and I’m awaiting their response.

I’ll let you know here once I only get it.

Best regards,

Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Gary!

I just got a replay and unfortunately my idea doesn’t seem to be of any use. This won’t work so it means that for now setups with such redirects are not monitored.

The good news however is that the there’s a plan to refactor the Uptime monitoring code so it would be able to take care of redirects and properly monitor “redirected sites”. I’m not able to give you any ETA on this but it’s confirmed.

Best regards,

Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Gary,

Actually subsites can’t be added to monitor since WP network is one installation and uptime monitor checks the status for that installation, if your network is down all subsites will be down as well.

I’m afraid that there’s no way of checking uptime with this kind of setup until Uptime Monitor update that Adam mentioned above. :slight_frown:

Best regards,

Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Gary!

As long as you are able to access the dashboard of each sub-site I think you should be able to setup backups with Snapshot using “regular snapshots” (Snapshot -> Snapshots page). I must say though that that’s never been tried with such kind of setup so in case it didn’t work let me know please. I’m also not sure about “Managed Backups” in this case. I’m sorry about that, it’s just that your config is very unusual and quite, so to say, unexpected.

I would however give Snapshot’s snapshots a go and see how that goes, I think they should work (unless you can’t even access dashboard of these subsites). You would need though to configure separate backup for each sub-site.

Best regards,

Adam

• Gary

Hi,

Well it turns out I can’t access the dashboard on each individual site. Even though I have installed the plugin and set it as “Netword Activated” there are no WPMUDEV options on the individual sites? So how would I add these sites now?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Gary!

By “dashboard” I meant WordPress back-end, not the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin. I’m sorry for not being precise enough and causing confusion. The “WPMU DEV Dashboard” is only available on “Network Admin” page and shouldn’t be present on sub-sites.

There’s no need to enable Snapshot separately on each site. On Multisite you will want to make sure that “Snapshot Pro” is network enabled and then:

1. go to “Network Admin -> Snapshot -> Snapshots” page

2. create new snapshot (“Add new”:wink:

3. Use “Blog to backup” option to select (sub)site that you wish to create backup for

4. Configure remaining backup options

5. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 for each of the sub-sites that you wish to backup

Give it a try please and I think it should work fine. In case you had any further questions about that or needed assistance please start a new thread as it’s not related to the initial question and this way we’d be able to provide you with better assistance :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Adam

• Gary

Hi,

I don’t have an option to network enable “Snapshot Pro”? I see just plain “Snapshot”? And thats network enabled. So as a result I don’t have “Network Admin -> Snapshot -> Snapshots” page

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Gary,

Snapshot only has a Pro version, so what you see is the Pro but it is shown as Snapshot only inside your plugins panel.

And the Snapshot panel should be visible further down the admin menu like this:

If you're still not seeing it could you please grant support access so we can check what's going on?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,

Predrag

• Gary

Ahhhhhhhh, dingdong… the light switched on. FINALLY found what I needed, it was this point that wasn’t immediately clear for me:

3.) Use “Blog to backup” option to select (sub)site that you wish to create backup for

It would be great if that was a dropdown selectable list or similar.

Anyway, I am running backups now. I will revert back here if needed.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.