Uptime Reports not accurate

Getting the following in the Reports, where the site is shown down after the time report is created.

Uptime doesn't seem to point any such downtimes:

Please advise what's causing this.

  • Adam Czajczyk

    Hello Kevin

    I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

    I checked the reports' logs for your site on our end and it actually seems to explain what happened if it comes to the "time glitch". It's a result of the way the report is created:

    - the report is marked for processing first (in this case at 4:00:44)
    - then the process of generating starts (this is the time in PDF header - 4:01:00)
    - report "generator" then goes through various modules collecting data; it went through Uptime data at 4:02:22
    - finally PDF is fully generated (4:02:22 as well)
    - and e-mailed to you (at 4:02:28)

    As you can see, there's a small "window" between the start time and actual Uptime status check so it can in fact "catch up" some downtime that happened after the report creation has been started.

    However, there is another issues that still need explanation:

    It seems that the date and time for "Last downtime" in the report doesn't show the last downtime but the actual time of data being fetched from our system instead. That might be a yet-unknown glitch/bug.

    That being said, I compared your report with most recent reports for my own personal site and it looks like I can confirm that so I have reported it to our developers and they'll take a closer look at the issue in order to solve that as soon as possible.

    Kind regards,
    Adam