Uptime service hitting site too many times

My hosting provider found that the uptime service was hitting brunnerlay.com thousands of times an hour and slowing down all of the sites on the server. Is there a way to throttle that service on a per site basis so it doesn't overload the server?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Blue Zoo,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Uptime generally sends 1 request per 2 minutes, to monitor the website, and it shouldn't be causing a load in general.

Could I know how many sites are hosted in the mentioned server? And do you notice the issue on every site, or only specific to brunnerlay.com?

In general, enabling cache in the server side should help in reducing any loads, and requests. Could you please check whether you have page cache enabled in the website? I checked the frontend of the website to see whether Hummingbird cache was enabled, but I don't see it being active.

Could you please check with your host whether enbaling cache brings any improvements? If the cache is already enabled, please do enable support access to your website so that we could give a closer look too.

You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please let us know once you enable access so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Blue Zoo
    • New Recruit

We've got about 65 sites on WP Engine that are connected to your service. However, they're reporting 2000 of requests from your service which seem to add up for all of your requests (65x30=1950).

We're hosting on WP Engine. They have their own caching engine and recommend not using any other caching programs.

I've given you access to the site, please let me know if you need any other information.

Thank you.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Blue Zoo ,

We've got about 65 sites on WP Engine that are connected to your service. However, they're reporting 2000 of requests from your service which seem to add up for all of your requests (65x30=1950).

So they are reporting that issue is for the whole account, not just one site? I'm afraid that at the moment there are no options to change how many times Uptimes pings server (but I think that our devs are working on adding this feature).
    At the moment our Uptime is not even that often - other services are offering 1 ping per 30 seconds.
    I've sent message to Uptime developers if there is anything else that can be done except disabling Uptime on part of the sites.
    We will keep you posted.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.