[Uptimw] uptime measurement

Can you please tell me how you check uptime / downtime? I brought this up with my hosting provider and they claim this site was never down on their end.

I just need a better answer to give them :slight_smile:

Regards

Beau M

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Beau,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

We're fetching site headers (from the homepage - main URL) by performing a cURL query for headers ('curl -h domain'). If this responds with some headers other than "200 OK" or a proper redirect to follow or if the connection times out - that is considered as site being down.

If the host claims the site was never down and the Uptime still says it was temporarily down at some points in time, that might mean that the site was actually working but was responding too slow. I think we're waiting for response for 20 or 30 seconds and if we don't get it within that time, Uptime reports an issue.

If that's the case, that would mean that the site was responding really slow and while not being really down, it was essentially "unusable" for some time because users wouldn't usually wait that long for the site to load. It would also mean that site is/was temporarily "eating up" server resources, because that's what is usually causing such a slow down.

The other reason for this might also be some maintenance plugin/mode enabled on site that was causing it to return HTTP headers suggesting that site's down or that the server for some reason was rejecting our requests. To prevent the latter, you might want to make sure that nor any security plugin on site neither any firewall on server are blocking following IPs:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.