Urgent - 500 Internal Error on WP site, now site not loading / inaccessable

Hi,

I have been having some intermittent issues with accessing my site for some time, and then last night I got an 500 Internal Error message. Today my site is not loading at all. The URL I'm having trouble with is drgeraldlewis.com

Does anyone know what's wrong / how to fix this? I found some WP tutorials online which include a variety of possible fixes (including to the htacess file a php memory etc), but nothing I've tried has fixed it. It's fairly urgent as I have people trying to use the site that can't right now.

Any help much appreciated :slight_smile:

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Pam,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

500 error on it's own doesn't give much info and could be number of things but most commonly it's fatal error happening on your site for some reason.

You can enable debug log in your wp-config.php by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

After trying to access your site again it will create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Pam

Hi Predrag,

Thanks so much for your really quick reply. I replaced the code as you suggested in the wp-config.php file, and after 2 days of it not working it's now magically up again. I can't see where it's created a debug.log file, but is that maybe because there wasn't an error? In any case, that issue seems to be solved. Do I switch back the code I changed, or is it ok to leave it as is?

TAlso, the access to the main site it now up again, but I'm still having issues with the access to wp-admin and as a member/affiliate. Are you able to help me with that here? Or do I need to start a new thread?

Thanks so much!
      Pam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Pam,

Perhaps there was an error with some of your plugins that got updated in background and that solved the issue you were having.

Debug should usually be disabled on live sites and used on development setup, so I would suggest leaving debug on False and only turn it on when experiencing issues on your site.

I can't see where it's created a debug.log file

If there's no error then the file is not created but when first one pops up it will create debug.log file inside your /wp-content/ folder.

TAlso, the access to the main site it now up again, but I'm still having issues with the access to wp-admin and as a member/affiliate. Are you able to help me with that here? Or do I need to start a new thread?

Perhaps this would be best having in separate thread just to keep better track of everything.
    You could include some more info about this when opening new thread, what exactly happens when you try to login and perhaps attach some screenshots.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.