URGENT - BUG Caused by Changing Event Date!!!

This is URGENT, please.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/why-is-the-event-saying-reached-max-capacity?replies=8#post-683719

Vinod was looking at it. Not sure if he is available, but I wanted to draw this to someone's attention as we've been publicising our courses and just found out that with NO BOOKINGS - it is telling anyone who clicks on "I'm Attending" that it has reached "Max Capacity!!!" which is HAS NOT.

It appears to happen if you change the DATE of an event.

This is crazy - especially as there is no way to copy an existing event so you are forced to change the date to avoid having to recreate the whole frigging event.

PLEASE can someone check out the post and create a quick fix or do SOMETHING about it.

I will have to RECREATE ALL THE EVENTS - which is a HUGE WASTE OF TIME - if someone doesn't sort it today.

Thank you.
Karen

• Karen

I have recreated most of them by copying the information into a new event, but the Publish button is not working. Not sure why. I eventually got it to work on one event, but it now won't work on the next.

Is there also a way to check on the Max capacity message WITHOUT having to click on "I'm Attending" which then adds you as someone who is now coming (when you are clearly trying to test it).

Do you just remove yourself from the list - how do you do that as it only records numbers coming and you can export that list but there is no where to manage course attendees.

This is most frustrating.

• Tyler Postle

Hi Karen,

I'm happy to help you with this :slight_smile:

I tested this out on my own installation and you are not alone. Changing the dates does indeed force it to give a "Max Capacity" notice when the capacity add-on is activated.

De-activating the max capacity add-on will allow people to start attending again. Not ideal if you have capacity limited events I assume; however, another solution would be to copy and paste the content (make sure you are on the "text" editor tab) into a new event page to quickly re-create the event.

By copying and pasting the text content you won't have to worry about re-adding images or anything like that. Make sure you paste it into the "text" tab as well. All the content will paste over exactly how it was displayed on the original page. All you will have to do is just re-set the date and times :slight_smile:

I am reporting this as a bug so the developer will be notified and can take a look at it!

Very sorry about the inconvenience here Karen. I hope the copy and paste option above will give somewhat of a work-around until the bug gets looked at. Please let me know if there is anything further I can help with!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen

Tyler

Thanks for the quick response.

I had to do something - I couldn't just leave it as is.

I did indeed copy and paste in the TEXT area.

What I lose by doing this, though, are the following:
    1. The person who paid for the Writing 104 event via the system is now lost as a record (I had to Trash the event after copying - and her record went with it).
    2. The person who paid for this event via MarketPress (the only way I could figure yesterday to get her to pay online) is ALSO not attached.as she paid via MarketPress - not via the "I'm Attending" button.

There is no way to add them to the new event date. So you are losing records when the plug in is meant to assist with record keeping and tracking what is happening.

It is a MAJOR area of NEGLECT not to be able to manage course attendees ie see the list of course attendess, and move them with Events when the date of the course has to move for whatever reason - more time to increase numbers, Presenter not able to do original date, etc..

It seems to me whoever developed this plug in has never run courses and doesn't understand all the things that happen that the plug in needs to take account of.

Lack of any Event Track Record
    The issue with cutting and pasting is that you are left with no record of when the events have been listed - which is a mess.

Ideally it should record (down the side) the previous dates it has been listed and/or held (not necessarily the same) as you need to see which courses are popular and be able to print out past calendars of events for planning purposes.

The system should allow for better records and the ability to analyse what you are doing (what's working etc) so you can improve course offerings.

For the developers....

• Karen

Tyler

Changing the dates does indeed force it to give a "Max Capacity" notice when the capacity add-on is activated.

De-activating the max capacity add-on will allow people to start attending again.

Where does this happen? ie how do you do it?

Also never in my wildest dreams would you know this unintended effect. It has just rendered all my advertising and promotion over the past few weeks, null and void when I thought access to booking was available.

Very disappointed.

Thanks for your help.

• Karen

Another developer suggestion...

Above events - why isn't there the list of Expired Events instead of just All/Published/ Draft /Trash.

If they just went into the Expired Events, you could have a ready list of the ones you need to copy or cut and paste for events that you run again.
    *Where do they disappear to - or do they just stay in the Published List regardless of whether they are active or not?

While I am at it - can they make clear the definitions of :
    1. Recurring Event - which has "Click here to add another date" -
    You THINK this is Event X and Event X is going to be run on another date (which would get around having to copy the event) BUT in fact it refers to a SERIES (like Part #1, #2, #3, #4 etc) AND the cost covers ALL of them.
    (I found this out the hard way.)
    (This needs a different name.)

2. Regular Event - This FORCES you to pick eg each Monday or some regular day.
    (There either needs to be an Irregular Event - so you can pick a series of dates that YOU choose - eg Mondays can be public holidays and you can't pick the Tuesday or get rid of the public holiday.) - or somehow build this into the Regular Event capabilities. (NOTE: It is IN FACT what the recurring event does - which makes more sense.)

As noted, there is no way to COPY an event without all HELL breaking loose. This should be the first feature that was sorted. I know @be has been repeating this for a while as well.

Ideally there should be:

1.Create an Event
    2.Copy an Event
    3.Create a Multi-part Event (and have the explanation of what this means,
    4.Create a Repeating Event (where you can choose the event dates - either regular or you just add the date you pick)

I find that very clear and unambiguous. (others using Events+ may care to comment).

Actually calling it "Events" when the Events that happen on eg Mondays for 10 weeks is a COURSE not an Event - use of bad terminology is where a lot of the confusion starts.

FYI

• Tyler Postle

If I had changed Max Capacity (however you do that) I would not have had to ditch the events and the people could still be attached?

Sorry, I was referring to the "Limited Capacity Events" add-on. The one that allows you to set an attendance limit to your events.

If you turn that off it will allow people to attend again; however, it won't have any limit. So, you may end up with more people that you can fit into the event. May not be the best option unless you watched closely and made sure to close it before you went over the capacity.

Another developer suggestion...

I have notified the developer and they will see this post. Thanks for the suggestions Karen. All feedback is super appreciated!

Let me know if there are further issues you need resolved. I'm happy to help :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.