URGENT: Either ALL backed up... or nothing?

Valued Support-Team,

we setup a snapshot to run automatically on weekly. Yesterday it was time to do this job again...

We found out... all sub.domains are backed up but not the very most important one: Our MAIN DOMAIN.

Today we run the job manually, but it did not work either.

What's wrong?
Please view attached screenshot and fix the issue.

Server access granted.

Thank you in advance.
Prinz

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Prinz,

I have the access and I'm checking your snapshot - also debug logs, and in debugs I found errors for Snapshot. They are related to some tables in data base.
      Could you tell me if between the last snapshot and this one that didn't work were there any changes on the main site? New plugins installed or removed, new scripts added?
      I would like to do more troubleshooting, but for this I will have to deacivate plugins on your main site.
      Are there any hours when no one works on your site, I would want to interfere with your work (also what is your timezone)?

Kind regards,
      Kasia

• Klaus

Hello Kasia,

how kind of you to do for us an improvement of our multi-db's. Please take right now already our gratitude for that!

To answer your questions:
    1) Unfortunately the existing snapshot is not the newest one... we added quite a lot since 05/07/15 and it would cause much effort if we would have to redo all improvements we made since.
    2) YES we also deleted quite a few plugins and uploaded/replaced them with better one. All plugins actually on the server represent pretty much a sort of 'final status' means in future we won't add any new plugins... but we will certainly delete two or three plugins as they are redundant. However,

unfortunately I am unable to name all plugins we deleted since last week (there were quite a few in total approx 15 - 20) nor can I name the plugins we uploaded as replacement for the older once. Hope this causes not additional troubles.
    3) Deactivation of all plugins not a trouble at all... we are able and fit to activate them again.
    4) There were two or three scripts we had to add on our child theme but loosing them wouldn't be a huge hassle to redo them again as we have the steps how to do that well documented.
    5) Our timezone is CST - UTC- 6h San Jose, Costa Rica
    6) If you could schedule the task you would like to do for us on Thursday (CST) that would be absolutely fabulous as we all are on that entire day involved in meetings (means we leave the office on Wednesday late evening and return on Friday morning approx. 7am. Please if this is not convenient

for you... let us know. As we are aware that you are doing us a huge favor we are also willing to stop our work for a while.
    7) Please keep in mind Bluehost (the VPS provider) currently logs in as well as they try to fix the trouble getting our existing wp application running via cpanel.
    Sorrry, I am not really fit enough to explain what they are doing and how your task could interfere with them. If you need more back ground information on that, please would you mind to interview your colleague Jude as he was so kind and helpful to figure out, that this issue is a bluehost one.

Also, to get us access to our site (quasi as temporarily work around solution) Jude was so kind and helpful to deactivate Apache Handler on our new VPS server. What this would mean for your task... sorry, can't explain that either.

Dear Kasia, I hope that helps. Please let us know if you will have the opportunity to choose this week Thursday to do the troubleshooting; alternatively in which time span no one of us should touch the server and our web project.

Looking forward hearing from you soon.
    Kind regards
    Prinz

• Klaus

Hello Kasia,

just wondering could you give us an update on this matter? We recognized you setup a new snapshot and it seems to work (we only renamed it by now)

BUT

when login into our VPS server using File Manager to see if the backup really there we found out that we are unable to reach our wp-content area. Also the server is extremely slow and we believe this is either a temporary result of your current activity on this matter while not finish or probably Apache is deactivated and should be reactivated again. However, obviously something is wrong...

Might this be the reason why we did not hear from you by now? PLEASE be so kind and fix the direct server access (if possible with highest priority).

Kind regards
    Prinz

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Prinz,

I found why the snapshot was not working in this one case - this was not due to database and one particular plugin - but the amount of the plugins that were attached to snapshot.
    Your server is unable to process snapshot that is bigger than 102 MB. This means, that the resources on your sever are not enough to process snapshot.
    So was there any change in VPS parameters lately?

When I was working - I only did test one snapshot with excluded files - so I didn't deactivate anything on your server, nor plugins, themes or scripts.
    When you edit this one snapshot, you will see that there is lots of plugins excluded from snapshot in "List files here to exclude from this snapshot. "

I didn't deactivate Apache Handler or change anything on your VPS - only tested the snapshots using your wp-admin.
    Your site is working and access to your FTP also (I've check that now - I was able to see wp-contents).

Where do I need to log in to see what is not working and what steps have to replicate? To bluehost?

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• Klaus

Hello Kasia,

how awesome getting such quick reply. Indeed we do appreciate and value that very much. BIG thanks for that.

Also, good to know what's the cause is with snapshot. So we better take new one without backing up those plugins.

Now, regards to the direct server access. Just tried to reenter it again and... great it works for us too. Perhaps there was just an hickup or so why we weren't able to login. For right now, luckily this is solved too.

Regards vps configuration. Yes Jude did the following steps recently: I logged in and disabled the user defined Apache handler. This is something I did because you site was configured wrongly. Whenever you visit the site a download starts with a PHP file .. This means Apache was serving PHP instead of processing it and serving HTML.

Unfortunately Bluehost does not respond at all. Dear Kasia please is there a chance to fix this and activate Apache handler again? We believe this is why our server is soooooooooooooooo slow.

Thanks for your help and advice.
    Kind regards
    Prinz

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Prinz,

I'm not the system administrator and I can't provide you with best support regarding configuration of your VPS, so I've contacted my supervisor what can be done with this matter.
      Because WPMU DEV does not provide services like system administration we recommend that you should hire system administrator that would set up properly your VPS or change you account in Bluehost to managed one (I imagine that with this change they could not ignore your issues any more).

I understand that this is not the answers that you wanted but in this case my hands are tied :slight_frown:

Kind regards,
      Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.