URGENT - EVENTS+ Pages GONE ODD!

HI

My two EVENT pages that I spent MONTHS working on to get working and have been fine for the past 6 months or so are NOW VERY ODD (was it a recent update???)

1. https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/training-calendar/

This is now a blank page - it was a calendar WITH SIDEBAR.

2. https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/events/

Instead of a LIST of EVENTS, this is now showing as the CALENDAR WITHOUT a SIDEBAR.

WHAT IS GOING ON PLEASE?

I NEED TO FIX ASAP SO PEOPLE CAN BOOK INTO OUR COURSES RUNNING NEXT WEEK!

Thank you.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hi Karen,

Let's see what we can do here :slight_smile:

1. This page seems to be fine now, it is showing a calender with a sidebar. I have attached a screenshot to show you what I see.

2. It sounds like your Settings > Appearance Settings > Archive Template may have been switched to "calender" please change that to default and let me know if that fixes it. I have attached a screenshot for this option as well.

Hope that helps Karen! Let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Tyler

Thanks for that. I posted above before I saw your answer.

I just went in to settings and found both were on Default: Calendar and changed the bottom one - nothing changed on the Events page.

Will try the top one now.

Thanks for the quick response.

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Tyler

Both are now on Plugin: Default.

The Events page (which should be the list) is now back to having an issue that was happening previously (not sure how it was fixed)...where the list is at the top but the RIGHT HAND WIDGET bar is UNDERNEATH the list instead of to the RIGHT.

FYI.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Karen,

where the list is at the top but the RIGHT HAND WIDGET bar is UNDERNEATH the list instead of to the RIGHT.

Do you want it to be full width with no sidebar or do you want the right sidebar back up at the top?

If you want full width then change the "Archive Template" to "plugin: full width" if you want the sidebar back up then try just unchecking the "over-ride appearances" box and saving.

Nope - Training Calendar is blank (just tried it again) https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/training-calendar/

I have checked this several times and haven't got a blank screen yet. It could be an intermittent issue on your web hosts side. It doesn't appear to be related to the website setup.

Let me know if the above solutions help :slight_smile: If not, we'll continue troubleshooting.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Tyler

I needed the sidebar AND the event, so unchecked Override Appearances...and it has lost all the icons and layout that is used to have (with the sidebar there - when all was working).

How do I get the layout back with the icons?

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Tyler

FYI I don't mind the layout with the photos (looks more interesting than just the block of text...but the icons (calendar, map etc) need to be there.

The "takes place" etc text to the right of the photos needs to be better organised.

Ideally it needs to display as one icon with one row of info beside it.
    (icon) takes place: xxxx
    (icon) address
    (icon) date
    (icon) cost
    etc

Currently it looks like it takes after the Products plugin - is that correct?

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Also - in this format the text under the event title is confusing eg

Brainstorming Your Career Options
    17th April 2014 by Karen under edit

The event is on TODAY - but someone reading would think it is on on 17 April which was the original listing date (or is that only showing as I am the Administrator?).

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Re Text running together

This is what it ends up on screen as:

View eventTook place on June 13, 2014 from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm34 Geelong Street, Fyshwick ACT 2609, AustraliaAUD 330.00

(Surely this is basic formatting that should have been ironed out long before now - ie in development???)

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Ignore comment about missing Media 103 event - found it.

FYI I had to change the event names when I had to re-create the event instead of just changing the date (which results in any potential people booking seeing a "max capacity' message instead of being able to book).

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Gosh - there seems to be even more bugs with this particular set up.

At the bottom of the page it shows four other pages and arrows.

If you click to go to the next page you get:

Sorry, we can't find the archive you're looking for at this URL. Please try selecting a menu item from above or to the side of this message to get where you'd like to go.

Why is it even listing other pages if there are (a) no other events and (b) you get this message?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Karen,

I needed the sidebar AND the event, so unchecked Override Appearances...and it has lost all the icons and layout that is used to have (with the sidebar there - when all was working).

How do I get the layout back with the icons?

Please try going back to the Appearance setting and checking the box then choosing "Theme: Blog and News" - You can try a few of those until you find the one that best suits your needs :slight_smile:

At the bottom of the page it shows four other pages and arrows.

If you click to go to the next page you get:

This could be a permalink issue. Can you try re-saving your permalinks?

Keep us updated on the situation :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Tyler

Sorry a bit confused about:

Please try going back to the Appearance setting and checking the box then choosing "Theme: Blog and News" - You can try a few of those until you find the one that best suits your needs :slight_smile:

I don't want to change themes for my site...I just want a layout for the events that show up on my site.

I actually prefer the Product-type look Photo and large title (with sidebar) but the text BESIDE the photo needs some serious tidying up.

I would do a screenshot but they are always too big for your system.

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

Tyler

I seem to have been able to add the pdf.

The first screenshot is the one I used to have. The right is what I now have.

I prefer the second one...BUT see the running-into-itself text on the right.

Can that be tidied up?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Karen,

These are the appearance options I was referring too, they won't change your theme, they will only change the look of the event listing page. (screenshot attached).

I prefer the second one...BUT see the running-into-itself text on the right.

Can that be tidied up?

To tidy that up I believe we would have to edit template files. Not exactly ideal. If none of the templates above work for you then we can cross that bridge :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen
    • WordPress Warrior

For https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/events/:

Plugin: Default also gives me a calendar (not good)
    Plugin: Calendar also gives me a calendar (not good)
    Plugin: Full Widthalso gives me a calendar (not good)

Theme: Homepage also gives me a calendar (not good)
    Theme: Blog and Newsalso gives me a calendar (not good)
    Theme: Full Widthalso gives me a calendar (not good)

To tidy that up I believe we would have to edit template files. Not exactly ideal. If none of the templates above work for you then we can cross that bridge :slight_smile:

I think we reached the bridge.

However I believe it should be a developer tidy-up - No one would be happy (or accept) such a mess of text in any professional product. It should be brought to their attention to fix. It shouldn't be a workaround as it is basic to a plugin to format things properly (and all WMPU plugins are touted as working with each other and all the themes).

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Karen,

Plugin: Default also gives me a calendar (not good)
    Plugin: Calendar also gives me a calendar (not good)
    Plugin: Full Widthalso gives me a calendar (not good)

Theme: Homepage also gives me a calendar (not good)
    Theme: Blog and Newsalso gives me a calendar (not good)
    Theme: Full Widthalso gives me a calendar (not good)

That is odd, the only one that should give calender is the "Plugin Calender" one. The rest should give a list. It is somewhat theme dependent though. You can also play with the shortcodes in Events > Shortscodes > Archive Shortcodes - Any variation of these should give you a list format. Then you can customize it with the parameters. You can place it on a page then make that your main events page. This could also solve your archive issue.

It sounds like you are wanting a custom template that isn't built into the theme, and that is a bit above my level of expertise to be honest. So, I will call in second level support(the coding experts) to see what kind of feedback they can provide here :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.