URGENT MEMBERSHIP IS NOT WORKING AND LOSING POTENTIAL MEMBERS

People are trying to register.

they get to the register page

cannot make it to the payment gateway

now stuck in a loop because when they click on "complete payment" the page just reloads over and over again.

Losing money. Losing credibility. losing customers.

any help would be great- ASAP

• TheBeags
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

No it didnt work.

so this is what has happened, i think

1. people have signed up
    2. they register an account
    3. the payment process didn't work for them
    4. they try to gain access -- they get a message saying the content is protected
    5. this message offers a link to purchase access
    6. they get redirected to improvingpdhpe.com/memberships (screenshot)
    7. they see the message saying "complete payment" (screenshot)
    8. they click "complete payment" only for the page to reload and refresh

• TheBeags

I tried purchasing the membership Core 2 --- and it worked fine. For another person it has worked for too ?

not sure what is going on.

I can give you a login that i created that is having the same issues as my (potential) customers?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi improvingPDHPE,

Sandbox mode is PayPal test mode where I use test account credentials and test payments with test account instead of using real money.

I did some tests on your site and was the payment went through on PayPal but it didn't get to your site as my test user payment was showing as Pending for quite some time.

I see that you already have some paid members on there so can you tell me if you remember when did this started to happen, did you install any additional plugins, performed some updates or something like that?

Can you also try performing a basic troubleshooting by disabling your other plugins and switching to default WP theme to see if something there is preventing PP to communicate with your site?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• TheBeags

The payments worked from 7:23pm (AEST) onwards -- which was half an hour before you "flush[ed] permalinks"

I didn't install any plugins, I didn't perform any updates.... However, I did delete the SECOND pricing teir picture thing I had on the page... there was one up the top and I put another one at the bottom. So I deleted the bottom one so I could try to figure out which pricing tier picture was causing the problem.

I can disable plugins and disable upfront and luke and sara -- but I don't know how to test "to see if something there is preventing PP to communicate with your site?"

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

I did delete the SECOND pricing teir picture thing I had on the page... there was one up the top and I put another one at the bottom. So I deleted the bottom one so I could try to figure out which pricing tier picture was causing the problem.

Not sure if simple image could cause something like this but could you tell me how those images were added so I could check it out?

I can disable plugins and disable upfront and luke and sara -- but I don't know how to test "to see if something there is preventing PP to communicate with your site?"

Simply disable everything except for M2 and try subscribing to membership and see if the payment is processed or it still showing as Pending, best way to test it would be using PayPal Sandbox as I did before https://developer.paypal.com/developer/accounts/

If you're ok with me disabling your plugins I can try it with my Sandbox account.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• TheBeags

The second pricing thing was made exactly as the first (and current) one was made. 1 picture, a few text boxes then a button grouped together - with the button with a link to the register page.

Honestly, Predrag I am happy for you to disable, enable, sandbox, sandbag, sandwich anything in order to get this membership payment gateway functioning properly. Everything is great and ready to go except for this payment problem.

**Also, I tried signing up again with my own money like I did before successfully (I was one of the successful ones to purchase it) and it didnt work --- which was that video I linked above in a previous comment.

thanks so much for all your help so far. I really do appreciate everything you're trying to do to help with the situation.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi improvingPDHPE,

That last screenshot is the same thing that I was getting when you opened this thread, and that's what I thought this thread is about, and fixed it by flushing the permalinks, so I did that again and that part is working again.
    This probably means that something is messing up with your .htaccess file, do you have any plugins besides Hummingbird that makes changes to .htaccess file?

That too many redirects error is something I didn't encounter yesterday so I'm not sure what happened there, disabling your plugins doesn't make any difference to that issue.

It might be dues to HTTPS, did you add this sometime after my last comment yesterday?

Can you save your .htaccess file as .txt file and attach it here so we can check the rules there?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• TheBeags

Since your last comment, I tried enabling stripe and disabled paypal as the payment gateway.. It didnt fix the problem... so I have switched it back

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    attached is a file. is this it?
    I am an absolute beginner so I have minimal knowledge with this stuff..
    I got this file from Bluehost. I went to home>cpanel>file manager > searched htaccess and downloaded the .htaccess from the public_html folder

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi improvingPDHPE,

We can see all your plugins by using support access and I was performing tests with all of them deactivated but it had no improvements.

After some further tests with default WP theme there was some improvement but still not completely working.

Your htaccess file looks fine as well.

I must say that I'm starting to get lost now, I have gathered all the information I got while testing and forwarded it to our second level support dev guys so they can investigate this further and hopefully figure out why is this happening on your installation.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Panos
    • SLS

Hello improvingPDHPE ,

Could you give another try by using "PayPal Single Gateway"? I tested it in Sandbox mode and seems to be working.

In case it's not working please provide ftp credentials in order to have a closer look to what may be causing this.

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question?" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:Subject: "Attn: Panos Lyrakis"
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/urgent-membership-is-not-working-and-losing-potential-members
    - any other relevant urls

Kind regards,
    Panos

• TheBeags

Hi Panos,

I have sent you all the info as requested.

I just need to make sure it is clear, just in case.

PROBLEM ONE: improvingpdhpe.com/memberships
    When the user is logged in - but has not paid... If they click to "complete payment" via improvingpdhpe.com/memberships -- the page refreshes. that's it. It refreshes to the same thing over and over again.

PROBLEM TWO: improvingpdhpe.com/register
    Sometimes, when someone tries to sign up via improvingpdhpe.com/register, if they click the type of membership they want, the page comes up with a 500 error. Predrag said he flushed the permalinks several times --- but it just happened to me now again (3 hours after you posted your message above)

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello improvingPDHPE

Hope you are well today and thanks for sending us requested credentials. :slight_smile:

I've informed panoskatws that your credentials are received. He is not online now, but he will attempt your thread as soon as he gets online. Meantime we appreciate your patience. :slight_smile:

Thanks for being with us. :slight_smile:
    Cheers,
    Milan

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Meaghan!

Thank you for sending correct access credentials. It seems Panos is not online at this moment but I notified him about your message and he'll check you site and respond to you as soon as possible.

Please keep an eye on this thread :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• TheBeags

Hey Panos,

Thanks for having a look

However, this problem is prevalent:
    improvingpdhpe.com/memberships
    When the user is logged in - but has not paid... If they click to "complete payment" via improvingpdhpe.com/memberships -- the page refreshes. that's it. It refreshes to the same thing over and over again.

I tested this by:
    - signing up for the course
    - when reaching the PayPal page - closing page (not paying anything)
    - going to ImprovingPDHPE.com and clicking "member login"
    - I get redirected to a page that offers me two choices
    - I click on one and a page comes up saying the page is protected.
    - I click on the link saying gain access here
    - a box comes up with different memberships. The one I chose but did not complete payment for offers me a choice to "complete payment"
    - I click "complete payment" expecting to go to PayPal -- and the page just refreshes -- showing me the same complete payment option..... This happens too when a customer clicks "sign up" on the same page for a different membership option.

This is an issue because
    1. even though the payment gateway is working now -- what if it stops working again when someone goes to sign up?-- then when they log back in days later to complete payment -- all the page does is refresh?

2. what if someone goes to register and does not go through payment process and plans to come back later to complete payment?(maybe something urgent comes up in that instance)

3. We will be offering more memberships in a few months -- if they want to sign up to a different membership too--- that can't

Both these issues are happening whilst on ImprovingPDHPE.com/memberships page

• TheBeags

Hi.

Sorry to be annoying , but I feel like the customer's inability to pay/manage their accounts once a user/member is really important.

I would buy another membership plugin - but I don't know what other one will work with upfront and your other plugins I am using.

Can the page links on ImprovingPDHPE.com/memberships be fixed? Is this a known issue that happens with Membership Pro 2 or is this a new thing?

Thank you

• Panos
    • SLS

Hello improvingPDHPE ,

Sincere apologies for the delay here, we are working to find a way to replicate this issue as it seems to be working as expected in our installations using the Luke & Sara theme. Predrag has mentioned that it was working with default 2016 theme so I suspect it has to do with modifications to theme layouts.

While using Luke & Sara have you made any changes at layouts? Latest Upfront offers ability to reset layouts from admin menu > Upfront. I would recommend to start restoring layouts and each time check if the situation has changed. By resetting Layouts it is possible to loose your information, so before you start resetting you should first keep a backup so you can restore after you are done.

Thanks!
    Panos

• TheBeags

Hey Panos,

Not sure if I mentioned this before - but I am a complete novice - so I wouldn't even attempt to change layouts?

Regardless, I will attempt to reset layouts =)
    I created a back up with snapshot - so I am hoping this is sufficient (because I spent my entire school holidays "building" this website)

When I am in my admin area in wordpress - when i select Upfront from the side, a message saying "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

.... I am the only admin for this site? so not sure what is going on there? pictures are attached.

ADDITIONALLY:
    I tried showing a colleague the website and that 500 page error came up again. is this got to do with you or is this bluehost's issue?

• Panos
    • SLS

Hi improvingPDHPE ,

Indeed in some sporadic occasions this 500 error appears. I recommend to first concentrate on this issue as it sounds more important.

Since there is no coherence my thoughts are round host, but I am not sure if this is not coming from a plugin conflict.

First enable bug reports to be stored in a log file which you can check each time this happens. It may provide further information. To enable it add the following to your wp-config.php file (if you haven't already):

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

It would be very helpful if you could have the opinion of your host's support, perhaps they can have a closer look at server config.

When I am in my admin area in wordpress - when i select Upfront from the side, a message saying "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

I confirm that happening on your site, can't replicate it on any of my installations though with same theme. That said, it is likely to be a conflict with a plugin. You could check that quite easy by bulk deactivating all plugins and check if you have access. If not try switching to other upfront theme and check again.

I could do this check for you, knowing that you have a backup.

Kind regards,
    Panos

• TheBeags

Hi Panos

I confirm that happening on your site, can't replicate it on any of my installations though with same theme. That said, it is likely to be a conflict with a plugin. You could check that quite easy by bulk deactivating all plugins and check if you have access. If not try switching to other upfront theme and check again.

I tried doing everything you said and nothing. It still says "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    just checking this is correct:

First enable bug reports to be stored in a log file which you can check each time this happens. It may provide further information. To enable it add the following to your wp-config.php file (if you haven't already):

in regards to your above instructions, I did this:
    1. logged into bluehost
    2. downloaded wp-config.php file
    3. edited it in dream weaver - copying and pasting (the code you wrote ) at the end of the file
    4. deleted the one I originally downloaded and uploaded the "new" version.

please tell me that what I did was correct.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello improvingPDHPE!

Yes, it seems you did everything right. Now the debugging for your site should be enabled so it would be good if you could try enabling Upfront (repeat the steps that are resulting in an issue) - preferably a few times - and then access your server via FTP again and download the "debug.log" file that should appear inside the "/wp-content" folder.

Please share this file here. To do this, please rename it to "debug.txt" and attach to your replay.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello improvingPDHPE

Hope you are well today and thanks for attaching debug log. :slight_smile:

I've notified panoskatws about steps you've taken and this debug logs. He is not online currently. But he will attempt your ticket as soon as he gets online. :slight_smile: Till that time, we appreciate your patience. :slight_smile:

Thanks for being with us. :slight_smile:
    Cheers,
    Milan

• Panos
    • SLS

Hi improvingPDHPE ,

Regarding the message

You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

it was related with Upfront's "User Restrictions" page (admin menu > Upfront > User Restrictions), it seems to have been fixed after saving restrictions options.

After that I had access to the "General" page. There I chose to reset the layout of the Membership page (by it's id) and after that it seems that the Membership page is working.

Could you please check and confirm if it's working on your side also?

Note:
    I have kept a backup of your db prior to resetting the layout, so you can restore if you need. You can find the backup at snapshot's backups list.

Thanks!
    Panos

• TheBeags

Panos! You are a wizard!

I think you might have fixed the membership problem!

I will double check tomorrow night and get my colleagues to go through the process and see if it works for them.

the 500 error is still happening - but i havent checked with bluehost why this is occuring. ill do that tomorrow too.

ill confirm then and resolve this if so

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello improvingPDHPE

Yes he is real genius we got. :slight_smile:

Please confirm with Bluehost and your colleagues about these issues. Then update us here your end results so that we can move forward if necessary. Till that time you do not need to reply us back here, Just post back your results once you are done with tests. :slight_smile:

Thanks for being with us and Looking forward to hearing back improvingPDHPE :slight_smile:
    Cheers,
    Milan

• TheBeags

spoke to bluehost... had to have core files reset

no 500 error as of yet

still have issues with membership apparently. This person is trying to get their class/students to sign up (with using a code) and its not working:

Ok so I am back at school and currently sitting with my year 12 class. 1 has successfully signed on. The others are still having problems logging on as am I.

I have asked for a password reset but that still has not come through.

Is there anything I need to do from my end to get this moving?

• Milan
    • WordPress Wizard

Hello improvingPDHPE

Hope you are well today :slight_smile:

Actually in your second last reply, you include your member's reply who is not able to sign up. In his this reply,

Ok so I am back at school and currently sitting with my year 12 class. 1 has successfully signed on. The others are still having problems logging on as am I.
    I have asked for a password reset but that still has not come through.
    Is there anything I need to do from my end to get this moving?

he stated that he is not getting password reset link in his email. So my colleague Nastia suggested you to confirm its working fine by resetting password on your own and to suggest your that member how to reset password. :slight_smile:

Does this make sense now improvingPDHPE ? :slight_smile:
    Cheers,
    Milan

• TheBeags

ah got you.
    well, yeah it worked for me so I don't know what's going on on their end? Is there a way to find out or not really?

I feel like this next issue is related to all of the issues I have experienced above:

I get this issue now with my site:
    approx midday today when logged in as admin and tried viewing my Membership Pro users/members

tonight:

with the last two pages - it seems that after refreshing the page a few times it goes back to normal

as I mentioned earlier - Bluehost reset my core files and Predrag reset my upfront so shouldn't this not happen now?

.....that said I backed up from a snapshot from before the Upfront reset the other day (see here) so maybe that has caused it?

Does anyone else get these problems often with either wpmudev or bluehost? do i need to switch hosting service or ask bluehost to do a full reset on my domain account?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi improvingPDHPE,

well, yeah it worked for me so I don't know what's going on on their end? Is there a way to find out or not really?

If this is happening only to one user it could be caching in his browser, browser he is using and if he has any specific extensions installed in browser etc.
    I would suggest checking out different browsers to see if it works for you in all cases.

I get this issue now with my site:
    approx midday today when logged in as admin and tried viewing my Membership Pro users/members

Can you check your debug log file again and see if there were any errors logged at the time this was happening?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• TheBeags

1. Can I attach it here?
    I tried reading it - but I don't get it? It doesn't seem to have any errors? I chose the first file as shown on the screenshot

2. I just spoke to a bluehost rep. They said I need to either optimise my site or upgrade my hosting plan with them (I'm on the cheapest hosting plan).
    ?? think that would work?

3. Do you think Upfront needs to be reset again? (though I can access the upfront settings, unlike before the 1st reset)

4. Do you think I should maybe just buy another domain, host with someone else and then try and restore my upfront from a downloaded backup to see if the issue still persists?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi improvingPDHPE,

1. Can I attach it here?
    I tried reading it - but I don't get it? It doesn't seem to have any errors? I chose the first file as shown on the screenshot

I checked your attached debug, there are just couple of notices in debug, nothing that could cause this.

2. I just spoke to a bluehost rep. They said I need to either optimise my site or upgrade my hosting plan with them (I'm on the cheapest hosting plan).
    ?? think that would work?

Quite possible, depending on what's the difference between your current plan and the upgraded one, it's possible that their cheapest plan has some limitations that could be causing this.

3. Do you think Upfront needs to be reset again? (though I can access the upfront settings, unlike before the 1st reset)

If there weren't any extreme changes since the last reset, like some code elements or something like that, I don't think reset will do much here.

4. Do you think I should maybe just buy another domain, host with someone else and then try and restore my upfront from a downloaded backup to see if the issue still persists?

I don't want to be the one telling you to spend extra cash on new hosting and domain but testing it this way will tell you if it's server related :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.