Urgent – Membership media protection works incorrectly after upgrade

This is an urgent issue (clients can’t access their paid media).

After upgrading to the last version of Membership (from version 3.4.1.2) my protected mp3 downloads started working incorrectly in IE and Chrome.

In Chrome: the download is started but when whole file downloaded the browser says “server error” and file is not saved to the disk.

In IE8 – when trying to save target on the link it thinks for a long time (maybe a 30 sec or minute) then shows error message “Unable to download <filename>.mp3 from <sitename>. Unable to open the Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.”

Tried to disable Membership – everything starts working just fine. So it’s definitely plugin issue.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings eshopbusiness,

Sorry to see that you are having an issue with your WordPress installation, the Membership plugin, and downloads.

Though I can certainly alert the lead developer @Barry to this ticket to address this issue, it normally takes some time and therefore I have chosen to leading you to a rollback as an immediate solution in which you can access the previous versions form the Membership plugins home page under change logs and click on the last known working version, download it extract it and FTP it up to your installation overwriting all the current files within the membership plugins folder.

This is in a hope to get you out of a basically emergency situation.

Please advise if that does the job for you.

Cheers, Joe

• eshopbusiness
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

More details:

Firefox can download those files but never starts online playing if I click on a link to mp3 instead of right clicking on it and choosing “Save object as…”

IE and Chrome also can’t download protected PDFs (just checked). Firefox downloads them normally.

Again, this only happens with Membership activated. After disabling Membership protection everything works fine.

I’m using basic protection. Tried hybrid protection but it doesn’t work. It shows “no access” image when I click on a protected links.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Just so, I understand a bit better.

Firefox can download those files but never starts online playing if I click on a link to mp3 instead of right clicking on it and choosing “Save object as…”

What do you have installed to play the files? That would be a browser / linked app no?

IE and Chrome also can’t download protected PDFs (just checked).

You mean when they are unprotected? As in the user has permission to download the PDF?

I’m using basic protection. Tried hybrid protection but it doesn’t work. It shows “no access” image when I click on a protected links.

Do you have any caching enabled on your site – just asking so that we can discount any effect that would have.

• eshopbusiness
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

What do you have installed to play the files? That would be a browser / linked app no?

IE and FireFox use QuickTime plugin, Chrome uses its own functionality. Online playing is not working in any browser since Membership upgrade. I got this info from my clients (complaints about “my mp3s in a members area are not playing online anymore, please fix this”:wink: and then rechecked it.

IE and Chrome also can’t download protected PDFs (just checked).

You mean when they are unprotected? As in the user has permission to download the PDF?

I meant that when protection is enabled IE and Chrome can’t download PDF that are in a premium members area. If i disable Membership protection everything is downloaded in a second.

Do you have any caching enabled on your site

Nginx. However we didn’t change anything in nginx and server configuration for the last 2 months.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If you can pop us an email with the details, and maybe a couple of links where the downloads are having issues, then we can check those first.

The easiest method is to send through to contact at incsub dot com and mark it for my attention with the URL of this thread in the email body as well.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.