URGENT my website is down- Error 500 internal server error

My website crashed Monday and I basically remade it. The cause of the crash was installing this plugin so I had to delete it from Ipower to be able to log into wordpress to edit it. It was working perfectly fine yesterday, I have made no edits to the site since then. This morning I went to visit our site and I get this message ” Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.”

I’ve looked at my files in ipower and don’t see anything different or out of the ordinary. I tried deleted my plugins but nothings helping. I cant log into WordPress either.

Whats happening??

http://www.gosolaire.com

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

Firstly I would FTP on to your server & locate your .htaccess file which should be in the root directory of your site. Rename it to something like .htaccessold then try reloading your site. If this works then login to your admin go to settings > permalinks & click save. This will generate a new .htaccess file. Try that one first.

• Jarrod Fisk
    • Flash Drive

at the very top of the previous screenshot you see a red banner that says “Invalid Rename” I tried clicking the “Show Me How” button but it just takes me to a FAQ page. I think the pic of the bomb is not a good sign. I googled it and saw a lot of the word “Malware”..

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

Okay so that isn’t your problem. Next you need to check whether it is a plugin issue. A quick way to resolve this is to rename your plugins directory. Rename plugins to pluginsoff or pluginsdeactivated. This will effectively disable all your plugins in one go. Try to refresh your site then & see if that works.

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

Well here is the thing. You need to rename your plugins folder back to plugins then go to your plugins page in your admin. All your plugins will be deactivated. Reactivate them one by one & make sure your site is still up after reactivating each one. If your site goes down again you will know which plugin causes the problem.

• Jarrod Fisk
    • Flash Drive

Ok got it, you are correct. So as soon as I turn the plugins file back on I get kicked out of wordpress. But if I leave the plugins folder off all my plugins are gone so I can't test which one is causing the issue in wordpress. Do I need to individually add all my plugins all over again?

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

Not necessarily. Another way is to rename all your plugins in your plugin directory to something else. For example if you have a plugin called seo you could rename it to seoold. Membership to Membershipold, etc. Do this for all your plugins then rename them back one by one. Only rename the actual plugin folder, don’t rename anything inside them.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @jarrod Fisk, @coremedia,

Well, you two have certainly been busy, nice work on helping out here, coremedia! :smiley:

(just sent some points your way for the effort)

Just a comment on the disabling of plugins quick: as mentioned in our Getting Support article, down towards the bottom of the page:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/getting-support/

When it comes to disabling plugins via FTP, the plugin won’t be noted as disabled inside of your site’s database _until_ you visit the Plugins page inside the Dashboard. As long as you don’t go there when you’re disabling plugins via FTP, you’ll be able to keep them active.

Not doing that is the reason why you had this happen earlier:

URGENT my website is down- Error 500 internal server error

Anywho, glad to hear that you’ve got this sorted out here. :slight_smile: Should you run into any further trouble with this, please feel free to update on the thread!

Kind Regards,

Michael

Edit: Just saw that you posted an update here. :slight_smile:

This is driving me absolutely mad. I can’t figure out which one it is. I thought it was gravity forms so I turned it off and turned everything else on, then got the error again. Perhaps 2 of my plugins are causing the issue?

Generally, when it comes to cases like these, you’ll want to go and enable each plugin one at a time. It can be tedious, but the alternative tends to be even more frustrating. :disappointed:

It’s possible that there’s two plugins interfering, but once again, we’d need to go and disable them all, and then re-enable them one by one.

On that Getting Support page I mentioned, we also mention switching to a default theme (e.g. 2015), as an additional check, just in case something inside the theme is causing problems as well (it can happen).

• Jarrod Fisk
    • Flash Drive

Ahh I don't know, Ill turn things on and it will be fine then turn the next this on and the site will go down then I turn it back off and the site will still be down so Ill turn something else off the I turned off 5 turns ago then it'll be back on then I'll leave that off and turn back on the other things and it'll go down. Why is this so complicated *cries hysterically*.

Anyways, should I be concerned about the script at the very top of the page on this screenshot? It says I should remove something..

• Jarrod Fisk
    • Flash Drive

Website working. the plugins that are not activated: Gravity forms(4 different plugins for it), Pop Up, W3 cache. Activate Pop up plugin->site goes down. Turn off Pop up plugin in my ipower file. Website back in action. Activate all 4 gravity form plugins, website goes down (pop up plugin still off). Turn off Gravity Form Plugins one by one, gravity-forms-post-updatesoff is the culprit. As soon as I turn it off the website is back up. Didnt even activite gravityforms plugin, simply reinstalled it via changing the file name in ipower back to the original, website goes down (gravity-forms-post-updatesoff and Popup plugins are still off as well). Immediately turn gravityforms back off, website is back up.

Does this mean that there are 3 plugins causing the issue?? I can’t seem to nail it down to just one. Im so stumped

• Jarrod Fisk
    • Flash Drive

Activated W3 total Cache plugin, (assumed it had to be one of the other 3, no way it’s FOUR plugins that are causing an issue) website goes does. The other 3 are all still off. There’s no way all 4 of these plugins are breaking my website. Can’t nail it down to one. Am I allowed to give someone my account info and they can try to fix it for me? I truly can not do it on my own I have been trying for the past 2 hours

• Jarrod Fisk
    • Flash Drive

Plugins not activated: Gravity Forms, Gravity Forms: Post Updates, W3 Total Cache, WordPress PopUp.

Website is working.

I need gravity forms and I just paid I think $19 to use that plugin. I have many gravity forms on my site. It was working perfectly fine yesterday.

What is my next step? How do I test these last 4 to figure out which is the culprit?

Refer to my previous posts to see what order of activation and deactivation I’ve already tried with these last 4.

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

I would leave the cache plugin until last to activate. You already know you have a problem between the other 3. I would try to activate all 3 with each other until you find the common plugin that is always active whenever you have a conflict.

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

You could send a private message to Michael above & ask him if he would mind taking a look. Apologies to Michael in advance if this is not the right way to do things. Blame me if it isn’t. I’m not sure myself to be honest. Michael did say to update the thread if you had any more problems but I guess that requires you waiting for a staff member to respond.

• Jarrod Fisk
    • Flash Drive

Hi Michael, I don’t know how to send a private message, can you please log into my account and help me figure out which of the plugins is causing the website to crash? I currently have 4 deactivated, if I activate any one of them the website goes down. I just paid yesterday for the gravity forms plugin so Im not sure how that could be the culprit but I definitely need it working. Not sure where to go from here to get my website back to normal, I have several gravity forms on my site.

Please message me so I can share my login info with you

Thanks! Jennifer

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

You’re not far from resolving this yourself to be honest. It sounds like your issue is a conflict between Gravity Forms & WP Popup as the third plugin is part of Gravity Forms anyway I would say. If you need both of those then I would maybe try to find an alternative to one or both plugins & try those instead. Maybe try the two Gravity Forms without the Popup one & try replacing that one if you need the Gravity Forms one.

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

I just did a search for WP Popup to see if it compatible with the current version of WP (which I am assuming you are running right?). It seems that it is & it has been updated within the last 8 hours. Have you tried to update the WP Popup plugin at all then trying again? It might be that the latest update fixes a problem that you have had.

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

Likewise if you are using WordPress Popup by WPMUDEV then that update was only 3 hours ago so again that might fix a problem you have. On the subject of Gravity Forms: Post Update I noticed that the WP Plugins Directory advises that the plugin hasn’t been tested with the latest version of WP so it might not be compatible. Just thought I’d mention that too.

• Jarrod Fisk
    • Flash Drive

Im really not too sure.. I don’t have a plugin for it. So it must be part of the theme. I just recently became our website manager and previously we had an outside source managing it. When we no longer were using them, they handed over the ipower files and I basically just took over with no knowledge of what they had incorporated. They haven’t responded to any contact I’ve have with them asking for help. I’ve just been figuring out what they’ve built as I go.

As far as the other plugins go, if I activate any 4 of them the website goes down. Which makes me think it’s a DIFFERENT plugin thats already activated but doesnt make the website go down unless one of the 4 that I thought was the problem gets activated. I don’t think Im close at all to resolving this. I looked for the update for popup plugin but it doesnt seem to be showing, maybe I already updated it but I sure didn’t notice in the last 3 hours..

I just don’t get why all the plugins were working perfectly fine last night then this morning after making no changes it suddenly isnt working.

• Atkotech
    • Recruit

Now you have it down to those 4 plugins are you enabling & disabling them in the plugins page rather than renaming the plugins folder in your Ipower file manager? As Michael pointed out earlier, the only true way now you are back up & running is by activating & disabling plugins in the plugin page then try refreshing your site after each one. Once you discover the plugin that takes your site down you can always rename it to plugin-nameoff in Ipower to get your site back up again.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @jarrod Fisk! :slight_smile:

You & @coremedia sure know how to keep a thread active, just catching up on things here. :slight_smile:

In this case, I'd say that we'll want to have a deeper look at the site, could you please send in the following via our secure contact form:

– Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett

– Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.

– Link back to this thread

– Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)

– Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)

– Mention the names of the 4 plugins you've narrowed this down to

– Include any relevant URLs/details for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Contact Us

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Michael

P.S. Just to touch on this:

I'm in the Support main page. Where do I go from here to request someone log into my account?

We've actually got a guide on that over here, you can go through that when it comes to enabling Support Access:

Grant WPMU DEV Support Access

In this case though, please be sure to send in the WordPress admin details, as requested earlier. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.