URL Groups don't work as they should

I'm struggling with this plugin in so many ways.

The latest problem I have is with URL groups.

I have created several groups of URLs and then created positive rules for an access level to see URLs contained in those URL Groups. Sounds straight forward, right?

Let's say I want Access Level Premium to have access to multiple URL Groups. I simply check the boxes next to the URL Groups in the positive rules panel for that access level, right? Wrong.

Unless the URL is contained in ALL the URL groups that my access level has checked, it will not be available to that user.

Or, to put it another way; if Premium User has access to URL groups 1-13, unless that URL is in ALL 13 groups, he wont get access to that URL. This is nuts! It defeats the purpose of grouping URLs.

Am I missing something or is this bug?

• brandicoot
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I'm not sure you understand the nature of the problem we're having.

For positive rules, a user should have access to all URLs that apear in any URL group that has been checked in that user's access level settings.

However, if a URL doesn't appear in EVERY URL group they have checked, they don't get access.

That tells me that the conditional logic somewhere in the PHP is incorrect and that there's an and statement instead of an or statement.

For example, in the attached screenshot, Test access has access to all URLs in the URL group "Connect URLs". And this works fine. However, if I check the box next to the "Advanced URLs", the user gets NO access to any URLs in either group. The user will only get access to URLs that appear in BOTH groups.

I really think the developer needs to be involved in this conversation.

Thanks

Chris

• brandicoot

@Kimberly @aecnu

Basically, the problem is you can't assign positive access to multiple URL groups for any given access level.

I have duplicated the site we're working on in a test environment if you'd like admin access to have a look at what I'm talking about.

Cheers
    Chris

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Sorry for the delay here, I have been on vacation.

As Kimberly mentioned the negative rules are indeed working but has also confirmed that the positive rules as you have described are not.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

I will try to get him in here asap.

Once again sorry for the holdup here.

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Once again my sincere apology for the delay here and I believe we will be waiting some more as to the best of my knowledge this developer is now on vacation.

Anyway I wanted to touch base with you here to make sure that this ticket does not fall off into the ticket system abyss and then never being addressed.

Thanks again for your patience.

Sincerely, Joe

• brandicoot

Hi @aecnu

Thanks for the heads up.

Will be great to get a fix on this as I have 3 clients breathing down my neck now. We've got temporary work arounds in place for two of them but those work arounds are going to get pretty ugly very quickly as they get more users signed up.

Cheers

Chris

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chris,

Thank you for your additional input.

I do not know what else I can contribute to help here except another possible work around as we wait for Barry to get these issues under control.

I am just afraid to see what happens once it is fixed to all those sites that are currently working with temp fixes.

Fortunately they will know when they update that they will need to deal with it and there will certainly be some that have working work arounds but will not update to avoid the disruption.

The less time for a fix the less amount of people who will have instituted work arounds.

May the fix come swiftly and with minimum casualties.

Sincerely, Joe

• brandicoot

Hi @aecnu

The work arounds we have in place will continue to work after an update as we're the core functionality of the plugin and haven't modified any code to get the work around in place. We just had to do a lot of configuration to get things in place.

When a fix arrives it will just mean some data entry for some unlucky staff member.

We're quite patient and would rather see a solid fix than a rushed one. Besides, everyone needs a vacation. Even Barry :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your input and keeping us in the loop. Great support as always!

Cheers

Chris

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya Chris,

Thanks a lot for your patience on this one. I am doing a regular followup on this thread and have sent another note to our lead developer to provide his valuable feedback on this one :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hey Mason, thanks for that I tried out the beta.

The beta fixed a few of my issues with URL Groups.. All of my subscribed free/paid/premium members needs to work on positive rules only. My Visitors Access level works fine with negative rules. I'm doing most of it via URL groups & post categories only.

The main bug it did not fix is the protected content page... I can get everything else working using positive rules only except for the protected content page.

For some reason the protected content page throws a redirect loop..

Everything else is fine via URL Groups & Positive Rules.. Any ideas?

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Got a screenshot of your url groups? Then we can have a look at them and maybe highlight any issues we see.

The main bug it did not fix is the protected content page... I can get everything else working using positive rules only except for the protected content page.

The protected content page is a special case and the plugin tries to ensure that a user will always have access to it, but if you have it in a urlgroup then strange things will happen - the details above that i asked for should help us spot anything.

• Ollie

Hi Barry

Prompt response was appreciated. I have attached a bunch of screenshots to explain my settings. If you visit the front end as a user you wont see these problems as I've hidden them members are the only ones that experience this problem.

After more testing there are 3 pages in total that don't work and cause the redirect loop when in positive levels only (negative works fine).

1. Protected Page
    2. Accounts
    3. Signup / Subscriptions pages

Load Times:

normal page - negative levels - 5 seconds
    protected - negative levels 5 seconds

protected - positive level - 67 seconds
    Normal Page - positive levels - 44 seconds

I've also tried removing it from URL groups and just use pages for positive levels, that made no difference.

If there is any other testing/info you need let me know as we are keen to get this fixed asap as it's holding us up from release.

Thanks,

Billy

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hey Billy,

I've not looked at the screenshots yet, will download in a min, but reading this:

After more testing there are 3 pages in total that don't work and cause the redirect loop when in positive levels only (negative works fine).

1. Protected Page
    2. Accounts
    3. Signup / Subscriptions pages

you shouldn't have any of those in a rule.

• Ollie

Hi Kim,

Thanks for that, tried out your recommendations by removing those pages from URL groups with both stable and beta release with no success.

I've also tried to do it with the pages positive level, that also has no effect.

Thanks,
    Billy

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Billy,

You have some rather.... Enthusiastic use of URL groups there :slight_smile:

In fact in your effort to be so organized you may have created a mix up for Memberhsip :slight_smile:

Could I ask you to try something?

could you try swapping the positive rules to negative rules, with the inverse options of course.

I would also ask you to remove your homepage, your accounts page (only logged in users can see this anyway, so no need to have it in url group), and any other Membership related pages, included protected content page, removed from all url groups as well.

Would you be willing?

• Ollie

I'm willing to try anything that fits within the requirements from the client... This leaves a lot of options open however due to the complexity of how their business plan is structured we cannot use negative levels for members. I've tried to do it this way, yes I can get that working but it all falls apart when users need extra addon subscriptions which is essential and according to the documentation is very possible.

Weeks worth of thought, planning & testing went into that decision, it wasn't an easy one to make but that's just how it has to be.

I tried your recommendation (which I have tried before but now with the beta version of membership).

Removing the home page completely stopped access for members into the home page. It sends it to protected which ends in a redirect loop.

Removing Accounts page had no change.

I also tried removing the url group and using pages to do that (not ideal at all but maybe it would work)... the result was it had no effect also.

Thanks,
    Billy

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Finally managed to get your screenshots download (it would have been a lot quicker to post them as images though :slight_smile: )

Not sure why you have the Public / Visitors url group. The plugin is going to always try to make sure that the protected / account / registration pages are always visible to all users, so that one is going to conflict.

• Ollie

Yer I know, I tried taking them out today... But Homepage I duno the plugin is forcing me to use the home page otherwise it sends users into a redirect loop.

Account/Protected/Signup I just can get them to display with positive rules at the moment.. I spent about 5 hours today tweaking things trying to get it working...

[Sorry about the compressed file I didnt want to do that either but I tried to upload them here directly but the Max File Size upload for images to WPMU forums was too small to put my images in. 150-200kb per image max... my images where 300kb..}

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings,

Knock, Knock - Housekeeping --> Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.