URL groups set up unclear

Hello

There is a part of the URL groups instructions which is unclear. The part where in the screenshot you can see /.* after the URL. But there is not explanation of what that is and does.

I was having problems getting the URL groups to work. I thought I got it to work using .* but now it isn’t working again. I logout, but when I click on a link to a page which I thought I protected with URL groups, I still get access and somehow get logged in even though I already logged out. I cleared my cookies, but it still happened/

Dustin

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

I may have figured this out. In the “Subscription Plans” section of the membership plugin set up, the membership levels starting point is where I wanted free members.

However, I assumed that I should then enter the next subscription up underneath. But when I did that then members of this subscription plan got access to the paid content, even though I thought they were still free users set indefinitely.

Did I do something wrong? Am I not understanding how to properly use the Subscription Plans section?

Dustin

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya Dustin,

If you’re still wondering about the URL Groups .* addition to the urls, that’s actually a regular expression, detailed well at wikipedia as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression

For free members, generally you’d create a Free subscription plan and have nothing there except the Free membership level you create for that.

I don’t think it would work properly at this point if you add any paid levels to the Free subscription plan.

Is that perhaps what you’re looking to do?

Cheers,

David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Thanks for mentioning that Dustin, I’ll have a look at how to improve the instructions to avoid that one. I notice there’s nothing specific in there on this one so I’ll see what can be done to clarify that.

Thanks for your feedback on this.

Cheers,

David

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

So what should I do about the URL groups which are not working for me? Also, when I try to restrict access to a page in the membership using the pages main rules I can still access the page even though I am not a member of that level. Or at least, I try to logout. It says I logged out. But I can still access the restricted page.

Dustin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.