URL NOT showing the web address I want

I built a Wordpress multisite for a school using my own personal domain to work it out since their address was in use and I had to communicate while out of town. Now I'm trying to switch so the school's domain name is visible instead of my domain in the url. I pointed the domain to my host's name servers, added the school's site as an Addon domain and redirected the school domain to go to my personal domain and so - it just redirects to my personal domain and you can't tell it's the school's web address. I just signed up for web forwarding and use masking (still waiting for that to kick in to see if that does the trick). However, after I purchased it the person says it will also depend on whether my system is set up to "allow URL to display frames"... (I didn't understand this).

Do I need to just clone my multisite and move it under the Addon domain (the schools domain)? I talked to my hosting company and they said they don't help migrate multisites. Do I need to do this myself? If so do you have any directions on how to do this? I could dissable multisite and clone it if need be if that's easier I just need to do it soon. If you have any advice I could use a little guidance here. Thank YOU!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Beau,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I understand that the site that you built for the school is that entire Multisite - not just one of multisite sub-sites - and that the school's domain is an add-on domain on the same server where the Multisite is installed. Is that correct?

If yes, then fortunately there's a simple solution to this and you won't have to clone/migrate the site at all. Here are the steps:

1) While keeping the school's domain as an add-on domain on your server, remove all the redirects, forwards, maskings etc that you setup for it.

At this point the school's domain should be loading some default hosting site (so no connection to the Multisite at all) and the Multisite would be available at your domain.

2) Edit the "wp-config.php" file of the Multisite and make sure that:

- there's no lines like these two inside

define( 'WP_HOME', 'http://example.com' );
    define( 'WP_SITEURL', 'http://example.com' );

- this line

define( 'DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'domain.com' );

is set to the school's domain; if necessary edit it by replacing your domain with school's domain.

3. Use this script to replace all the occurrences of "yourdomain.com" in the database with "schooldomain.com":

https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

Please note: this is not a plugin; it's a standalone PHP script but it's easy to use - there's a clear instruction on the site on how to install it and use; you can also first use "dry run" option to make sure that the changes are made to the database and after that use "Live run".

4. Finally, go to the cPanel and edit the school's domain: find the "root folder" setting and point it to the path where the multisite is installed.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Beau
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Adam this sounds great! Just a couple questions:

After reading the script description I got a little nervous :slight_smile: Would this work just as well? https://wordpress.org/plugins/search-and-replace/

Also, I didn't quite understand how to do step #4 when you said:

Finally, go to the cPanel and edit the school's domain: find the "root folder" setting and point it to the path where the multisite is installed.

Any clarification would help. THANK YOU!!!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Beau!

After reading the script description I got a little nervous Would this work just as well? https://wordpress.org/plugins/search-and-replace/

It actually should. I, myself, find it easier to use the script and according to my experiences so far there are cases when it can handle changes that other tools cant. However, the plugin that you found should also work fine, I know that lots of people are using it so it should be good.

Also, I didn't quite understand how to do step #4 when you said:

When you go to "Add-on domains" in your cPanel and find your school's domain on the list, there should be option to edit it. When editing, you should see the "root folder" option that says something like

/public_html/schooldomain.com

or similar.

The goal is to change that path above the way that it would point to the location of your Multisite Wordpress. There's a video that should help you understand that setting and how to change it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7OYIOwyWvU

Best regards,
    Adam

• Beau

I have this image now. I tried to backup from WPMUDEV I have set up but this page just shows up.

There was an error when doing the search and replace and it must have messed up my files. Do I just need to replace the .sql file? I can only get on cPanel and FTP now so do you have advice on how to do that? I have a manual backup here on my computer too. I think I need to manually
    I'm a bit frazzled now. Any advice appreciated.

• Beau

Ok I went into the database in the blogs section and found the mistake. It's back up and I'm far less frazzled. I think I still need to do this but might not use the plugin again. I'll get back in touch after the weekend. Thank you!

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Beau

I admit I'm not sure what has happened here. That's a process that should go relatively smoothly for you. I don't think however that you need to restore anything from backups. However, it's a bit difficult to diagnose it that way and it would be best if you could just jump on the live support chat just saying what happened. Provide us (me or one of my colleagues, depending on who picks up the chat at the moment) with cPanel access and I think should be able to help you solve that. I'm suggesting live support chat because that'd probably be the fastest way to check it.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.