Use admin area through a single domain.

Just had an interesting idea and I thought I'll see what everyone else thinks about it:

Wouldn't it be nice if in multi-domain environment you could mark one of the domains as "admin domain" so that all users accessing their admin area used that domain? Kind of similar to "domain used for the administration area" functionality of the Domain Mapping plugin.

The reason for this is that it is quite common for shared hosting to only support one SSL certificate per account. So, if you use Multi-domain on such shared hosting then you can't restrict access to your admin area to https only.

What do the rest of you think?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

It's a lovely idea but I don't think WordPress is gonna let you do that unless you're on a sub-directory set up.

It'll always take the sub-site admin to subsite.example.com/wp-admin regardless and I'm not sure there's any real way to bypass that.

Thanks,
    Phil

• UmkaDK
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Phil,

I appreciate what you are saying, but how is this different to what "Domain Mapping" plugin already does?

Domain Mapping plugin already allows users to set a "domain used for the administration area" where you can chose what domain your admin interface is accessed through... Or is this feature only available for those on sub-directory set up?

If so, may be we could do "admin domain" feature as sub-directory set up too??

Yours,

Dmytro

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Domain Mapping plugin already allows users to set a "domain used for the administration area" where you can chose what domain your admin interface is accessed through

Yes but that will be different for every site owner. My interpretation of your first post was that you wanted a single URL where every site owner's dashboard would be.

Thanks

• UmkaDK
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Yep, that's right. I was after a single URL where every site owner's dashboard would be. The reason I mentioned Domain Mapping is because I thought that since there is already functionality which allows users to set admin domain on the individual basis, it wouldn't be hard to allow super-admin to lock that down and force everyone to use the same admin domain. Or am I missing something?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.