Use case for membership & custompress plugins

I am about to start work on a new project for a small organisation that has a few hundred members. Some of the members pay a small amount for a short listing and full members pay more for an enhanced listing. These listings make up a directory of members that can be publicly searched based on location (they all provide basically the same service). They also get access to premium content etc. The membership plugin seems an obvious part of the solution.
For the listings I am thinking that creating a custom content type with Custompress would be the best way to create a paid for listing per user. However, is it possible to only allow each member to only be able to create one piece of content and also to restrict edit access to only their own content (ie like a profile)?

• aecnu

Greetings ChrisMc,

However, is it possible to only allow each member to only be able to create one piece of content and also to restrict edit access to only their own content (ie like a profile)?

Not that I am aware of using the configuration you have proposed.

It is my opinion that the Directory plugin would be better suited for this task which it includes Custom Press - therefore if you are going to setup the Directory plugin, it would be wise to remove Custom Press BEFORE installation of the Directory plugin to avoid problems.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• ChrisMc

Ok. So With the directory plugin is it possible to limit things so users can only buy one listing?

Basically I want to build a private membership site. There will be visitors, basic members who pay for a simple listing and 'full'private members who have a more complete listing and who also have access to private content and a forum.

I'm getting frustrated trying to work out how to achieve this with Wordpress. It seems like I need a hybrid of the membership and directory plugins - do they play ok together?

Thanks

• aecnu

Greetings ChrisMc,

Ok. So With the directory plugin is it possible to limit things so users can only buy one listing?

Our Directory plugin offers a free and a paid option, but both cannot be activated at the same time.

Basically I want to build a private membership site. There will be visitors, basic members who pay for a simple listing and 'full'private members who have a more complete listing and who also have access to private content and a forum.

Maybe Membership plugin will do the trick for you, though configuring can be a hard road to travel, it is flexible in its capabilities though strict in its rules.

It seems like I need a hybrid of the membership and directory plugins - do they play ok together?

To the best of my knowledge they do though I have not personally tried to work with them together.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe