Use MarketPress for gift registry

Hello,

I just became a member of WPMUDEV and excited to start using your themes and plugins.

I'd like to create a website that will allow users to create a gift registry.

The process:

Person A becomes a user on my website and creates his own gift registry (store) and starts describing gifts people can give him (Products) (activities like scuba diving lessons) on the front end and defines the price for each product. He can create his own gift (product) or select from existing gift ideas (products) from the database of gifts (products created on the MAIN SITE).

In addition, Person A has a picture of him, a description of himself, and maybe one other field, the event for gifts or whatever.

When a loved one purchases a gift from Person A, the money will go straight to person A after a small % gets taken by my website using the Paypal Chain method.

A few questions:
- I'd like for the product creation to be done on the front end. Is using the following plugin enough? https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-add-on-front-end-product-entry-form

- I'll need to create a registration form asking for a picture, name, description, and a few other fields. The data in this registration form will be used to create the profile on top of the store. Should I use a membership plugin for this? Which one do you recommend that works well with MarketPress? I don't need all the bells and whistles from buddypress so I'm hoping there is a simpler solution.

- Person A can build his store by selecting existing gift ideas and also by creating his own. Can there be a display of existing products to add to his own store? It would have to be flexible so that the product qty, price, etc can be changed.

The idea is to handle only cash, no actual products. For example, I'm I put on my gift registry that I want to do Scuba Diving certificate and it costs $1000, I can ask for 10 gifts of $100 each for that One product. It would be equivalent of saying an inventory of 10 at $100 each.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if this does not make sense.

Giovanni

PS - Is this something that can be posted on the job market place?

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Giovanni, welcome to the WPMU Dev Community!! :slight_smile:

MarketPress is not aimed at being a gift registry but its certainly possible I suppose.

- I'd like for the product creation to be done on the front end. Is using the following plugin enough? https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/marketpress-add-on-front-end-product-entry-form

Its not currently possible by default but that plugin could well work. I've never tried it though so could not be sure.

- I'll need to create a registration form asking for a picture, name, description, and a few other fields. The data in this registration form will be used to create the profile on top of the store. Should I use a membership plugin for this? Which one do you recommend that works well with MarketPress? I don't need all the bells and whistles from buddypress so I'm hoping there is a simpler solution.

That is not currently possible by default there could be a few plugins out there, but it might require some custom development to achieve what you want.

A user could just create their own page though, this would be the simplest solution.

- Person A can build his store by selecting existing gift ideas and also by creating his own. Can there be a display of existing products to add to his own store? It would have to be flexible so that the product qty, price, etc can be changed.

Nope, thats not really possible by default, you could set up a default website though and then use our New Blog Template plugin which will replicate that set up.

But that wouldn't update those sites as you update the default one though.

premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

The idea is to handle only cash, no actual products. For example, I'm I put on my gift registry that I want to do Scuba Diving certificate and it costs $1000, I can ask for 10 gifts of $100 each for that One product. It would be equivalent of saying an inventory of 10 at $100 each.

Sure you could set up a quantity of 10 @ $100 each, that could work.

They would either need to send in a payment or use a gateway.

Really though, this won't do exactly what you want, so you would need to do some custom work or hire a developer. You could post in the jobs area:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Take care

• Giovanni

That is not currently possible by default there could be a few plugins out there, but it might require some custom development to achieve what you want.

Do you know which plugins from WPMUDEV could work for something like this? I am leaning towards Membership or outside of WPMUDEV could use s2member. Any knowledge of them?

A user could just create their own page though, this would be the simplest solution.

If this is a solution, you would still need a MultiSite for multiple stores (registries), yes?

Nope, thats not really possible by default, you could set up a default website though and then use our New Blog Template plugin which will replicate that set up.

But that wouldn't update those sites as you update the default one though.

Can this be done by using Pro SItes and as a new registration comes up, they automatically have a new site with a pre-defined theme that only has one page, they dont have the freedom to add new pages, posts, etc. They only freedom is to modified their profile and their gift registry (Store).

Really though, this won't do exactly what you want, so you would need to do some custom work or hire a developer. You could post in the jobs area:

I have posted the job on WPMU DEV already. How long does it usually take to get a developer?
    -----

Are there any plugins that can do a gift registry that you know of?

-----

Thanks!

Giovanni

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again. :slight_smile:

Do you know which plugins from WPMUDEV could work for something like this? I am leaning towards Membership or outside of WPMUDEV could use s2member. Any knowledge of them?

To create a gift registry? Neither...

Both plugins are for protecting content which members subscribe to see or download.

If you want to charge for access to use MarketPress then you might consider our Pro Sites plugin:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites

But that still won't give you a gift registry.

There are a few plugins under the search "Wishlist" over at WP.org:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=wishlist

If this is a solution, you would still need a MultiSite for multiple stores (registries), yes?

If you wanted to use MarketPress in that way and each member needed their own catalogue then yeah you would need multisite setup.

They only freedom is to modified their profile and their gift registry (Store).

Pro sites does have a feature to restrict the number of posts/pages.

I have posted the job on WPMU DEV already. How long does it usually take to get a developer?

Anyone can respond there, all of our developers are currently busy working on the projects here at WPMU Dev. As soon as a developer is interested then I'm sure they will post. :slight_smile:

Are there any plugins that can do a gift registry that you know of?

You could look at the wishlists, detailed above.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.