Use ProSites but keep certain subsites from using it

Can I add ProSites on the network but keep certain subsites from using it?

I have client sites who I have created without Pro Sites...they have not clue what Pro Sites is at all and I would not want them to see any Pro Sites verbiage or extra costs etc. I would like them or others like them to be just a regular subsite (i.e. have those totally excluded). Then, I am thinking of adding a NEW service especially for people for Pro Site subsites.
but on the same network as what I already have.

• Milan

Hello Greg

Hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

I am sorry but I am note getting this clearly. Let me first explain here what I am understanding.

You are saying, you want to add subsites which do not affected by Pro Sites and keeps separate from Pro Site managements. ( Subscriptions, Pro Upgrade etc. ) And on the other hand you want to offer Pro Site powered subsites to your clients too. is this right ? Please confirm this so that I can look for answer in this context only.

If there is something else on which you want direct my attention, please do include information about that too.

Looking forward to hearing back Greg :slight_smile:
    Cheers,
    Milan

• Greg

Milan

Close...smile.

#1. Current clients and my own projects that have normal subsites = I do not want them to be bogged down with seeing anything to do with Pro Sites to confuse them (nor do I need to see that stuff on my other project sites on the network). So, would like to know how to simply exclude those to have anything at all to do with ProSites offerings, limitations, or verbiage. Just want those to be normal ole' (run of the mill) subsites I can create on the fly without regard to anything to do with ProSites.

then

#2 When I use ProSites and network activate, any subsites not excluded would work as normal with ProSites with the normal offerings, verbiage, limitations etc.

Let me know of that helps clarify a bit more?

:slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Greg!

I hope you're well today!

#1. Current clients and my own projects that have normal subsites = I do not want them to be bogged down with seeing anything to do with Pro Sites to confuse them (nor do I need to see that stuff on my other project sites on the network). So, would like to know how to simply exclude those to have anything at all to do with ProSites offerings, limitations, or verbiage. Just want those to be normal ole' (run of the mill) subsites I can create on the fly without regard to anything to do with ProSites.

The "normal" sub-sites will function "outside" the ProSites meaning that there'll be no "time" limits - they won't be blocked at some point of time (after subscription ends). There'll be also no "quota" limits (if this module is enabled) other than the one by default set in WordPress settings.

However, none of the "premium" plugin will be available for these sites even those that are at the 'basic" level. By default the "normal" site equals the built-in ProSites free-level so there's no out of the box way to "exclude" such site at all from any Pro Sites limitations.

You can however turn any Pro Site a "regular" site by simply removing its ProSites status. Also, when you create a site (as a super-admin) via dashboard this site should automatically become a "regular" site.

#2 When I use ProSites and network activate, any subsites not excluded would work as normal with ProSites with the normal offerings, verbiage, limitations etc.

As I mentioned above, these sites will function "outside" Pro Sites but still receive some limitations as described. I asked one of our developers for consultation on this though to check if we could do something about it. Please keep an eye on this thread and I'll let you know.
    Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello again Greg!

I just got some help from the developer and it luckily turns out that we indeed can do something about it and furthermore I was wrong here. I'm sorry for causing confusion here.

Let's start with your first question again.

You can "separate" those "regular" sites so their users do not have to deal with Pro Sites at all. This can be achieved with a bit of custom code. The base would be this:

add_action( 'template_redirect', function() {
      global $post;
      $users = array( 10, 22, 35 );
      if( $post->ID == 5 ) {
        if( in_array( get_current_user_id(), $users ) ) {
          wp_redirect( TO ANY PAGE URL );
        }
      }
    }  );

where numbers in this line

$users = array( 10, 22, 35 );

are user accounts ID's; the "5" is an ID of the Pro Sites checkout page (you'll need to replace it with the one from your setup) and "TO ANY PAGE URL" is an URL of the page these users should be redirected to.

As for question number 2.

There's a way to allow even "premium" plugins to be used with these "regular" sites though it will need a "manual" intervention. To do this you will want to go to "Network Admin -> Sites -> [Edit] for the site you wish to let it use premium plugins" and there you can allow those plugins for this site.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Greg

Adam Czajczyk

Ok...so, the code would go in the theme functions.php file right?

Ok on the premium plugins too.

____

Let me ask you this, would it be easier to make those "nomal-type" intended subsites to just be lifetime unlimited everything members? If so, how can I just do that and also would there be any special considerations at all for being sure they are never limited in any way (on any at all like on disk space, uploading, etc or really anything at all)?

Which approach would be the easiest to not only do but maintain over time?

:slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Greg!

Ok...so, the code would go in the theme functions.php file right?

Yes, the code would go to functions.php file of the currently active theme of your main site. However it could be even better to add it as a MU ("Must Use") plugin so it would be independent of theme changes. To do this simply:

- add this tag as the very first line (above the code)

<?php

- create an empty text file with a .php extension (e.g. my-exclude-pro-sites.php)
    - put entire code inside that file
    - upload that file via FTP to the "/wp-content/mu-plugins" folder on your server; if there's no "mu-plugins" folder inside "wp-content" just create it.

Let me ask you this, would it be easier to make those "nomal-type" intended subsites to just be lifetime unlimited everything members? If so, how can I just do that and also would there be any special considerations at all for being sure they are never limited in any way (on any at all like on disk space, uploading, etc or really anything at all)?

This actually sounds like a good idea and I think it would be nice if you could start a new thread (in addition to this one) on our "Features & Feedback" forum suggesting implementation of such a solution. There's a good chance that if many members of our community would support that idea, our Growth Team would then put it under consideration and possibly add to the plugin in future.

As for now. I can think of alternate solution. You could create an additional Pro Sites level that would "include everything". You'd have to set prices for it but at the same time you may un-check the "is Visible" option.

- those sites that are assigned this level would then be able to make use of "everything" on the site
    - the level would not be publicly available and nobody could signup for it
    - as a super-admin however you would be able to assign this level to those "regular" sites

This would probably be the simplest solution here. The only down-side is that you would have to remember to extend "subscription" (though there wouldn't be any "real" subscription in terms of payment gateway, so users wouldn't be charged) each year manually. Would this work for you?

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.