Used WP Smush to the fullest extend but still a low score

Hey there,

I am a bit confused as to why, after using WP Smush Pro and bulk smushing everything, that I am still getting a low score on both the hummingbird report and on GT Metrix (link to my report).

It says that I need to serve scaled images on GT Metrix. Is this what Hummingbird is reporting also?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated since it seems that these images are a main issue for the site speed in my particular case.

Thanks!

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Matt,

There are two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing – This one’s is telling that image can be optimized and that’s what smushing does.

2. Compressing and resizing – This shows that the images are resized via HTML and CSS

The second one is what’s shown in your results and that’s because your theme is loading images larger than it’s HTML holder, for example 110x95px thumbnails on home page but the actual HTML holder of that image is 90×61 so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn’t like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

In Humminbird you can check which images need resizing or here https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=www.newgradoptometry.com&tab=desktop

kind regards,

Kasia

• Matt
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Super helpful. It was an instagram plugin I had running that caused a lot of that. I removed it for now until I figure something else out.

Thanks so much. Site is already running faster. Will keep working on this. Thanks!

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Matt,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I checked your website in Google Page Speed, and I could see that some images are still not optimized, which is quite odd. 2X Smush is another compressing method, and compression should have worked even without enabling 2X Smush.

To have a better idea about this, could you please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look. You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Matt,

There are still some images that are showing: Compressing and resizing (this what I described in my initial post). You would need to check those images in Hummingbird report and try maybe upload different, small sizes.

There are also images that are showing there is also compression needed. And there are two cases for those:

http://yoursite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/e_150.jpg – it doesn’t look that image is in your media library. I tried to search for it but media library is not returning any results for it. In this case Smush has no access to that image. You would need to check if there are more images missing in media library – and maybe then reupload those so Smush will process them.

– another image is this one http://yoursite.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/jumpstart-300.jpg – that image is in your media library, but it shows that image is already optimized. It means that image was optimized by anther algorithm before Smush and Smush recognize that and it will not touch that image. In this case there is nothing that can be done except reuploading original, not optimized image.

You have to check all the images on the Hummingbird list and then proceed depending on the result.

kind regards,

Kasia

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Matt,

Not sure if you have found the information you are looking for but I have had the same issue in the past. I personally use Shrink-o-matic which is used with Adobe air. Not sure if you are using Adobe on your computer but I have found by using Shrink-o-matic to resize images before uploading and letting the bulk smashing do it’s thing, seems to work for me.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.