User accounts can see admin menus

Hi

I have created my multisite, and have created one test user. When logged in as this user, I can see the admin menu links for the site admin and the super admin. When I click on these links I get told ‘You do not have sufficient permission to access this page’. While I am glad my users will not be able to access admin menus, I’d much rather they don’t see those links! How can I get rid of them please?

Thanks

Esther

• esther_nagle
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

You are right that this is a new install, still at the set up and testing stage. The user is a colleague who set up an account with no blog associated with it, and is not an admin. We spent some time this after noon going through different user role settings in the user settings tab in the site admin, but all gave the same result

• esther_nagle

Hi

I have realised that, as all our user accounts are going to be approved before users can start to post, that this is fine, I can just add to the moderator procedure guide to check that box in the user settings.

Thanks

Esther

ps….I am very new to all this, so I am sure this won’t be the last you hear from me over the next few weeks!! :slight_smile:

• esther_nagle

might have been a bit premature there. seems the menu has disappeared while looking at the site, but when accessing the site admin, which users who set up blogs will have to do, users can see their own blog admin as well as the main site admin!

HELP PLEASE!!!

• esther_nagle

It’s all starting to make sense to me now, I assign users the role of author, then when they are logged in they can make changes to their own blog sites, and can see items on the dashboard of the main site, such as comments and posts, but can’t make changes.

Makes sense to me, but I fear this might be a bit complex for my target audience, some/many of whom are likely to be new to blogging at even it’s simplest level, as well as having a forum to deal with in the buddypress side of things!

What I would really like is for users to have a tool bar just for their own site dashboard, and not be able to see the dashboard of the main site at all, after all, there is no need for them to be able to do so.

Is there something stupidly obvious I am missing here? If not, is there a way around this?

• Paul Barthmaier
    • Code Wrangler

Hi there Esther! Happy Monday!

Well, let’s start with leaving new members at the Subscriber level and see how that looks. This way, they will be dealing with the least complex dashboard. As they become more familiar you can bump them up levels, thereby adding additional menus in the backend.

Does that sound like a reasonable way to go? You may even be able to automate the process of switching levels. I know that the Buddypress community developed the Achievements plugin where you can set certain actions to trigger after a milestone has been reached. Things like, become an Editor after commenting of five posts or something like that. You may not be using Buddypress, so this may not work for you, but there might be other similar plugins that could accomplish this for you.

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it’s been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I’d check in to see how you’re going?

If you’re still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Cheers!

Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.