User Activity and Membership 2

I have several things going on here that I need some help with. I'm using Membership 2 and I'm using User Activity.

1. I have 3 levels of users,
a. Admin (only me),
b. editor (or contributor) (just one person at our client's location)
c. subscriber (all users)

the level B user has some features they can access in the admin back end but these deal entirely with users and the support tool. My initial need for help resides with what this level of user is seeing.

1. I need to figure out how to prevent any user from seeing the
Test Memberships button in the admin section.
- The reason i'm not in "live mode" i.e. having test memberships always deployed, is that i have everything working right without it running, then i turn it on and everything including admin features all shut down and i have to uninstall membership 2 to get access to stuff again. it's a real mess.
- Perhaps the answer is teaching me how to make the memberships tool do for me in live mode what its doing when not set in live mode? Not sure.

2. I need to figure out how to give level B users access to read the User Activity reports. Right now, the link is there but when i'm logged in as that level of user, all it says is, "nice try" lol. That user needs the reports. I figure it's a setting somewhere but i can't find it.

=====

OK on another note ... The registration page ... I need to be able to customize it. I've read the support tickets on it, it requires hard programming? When will you have this fixed where like other membership tools, I can build my form or ... maybe use the form that my profile builder tool provides instead. That one i like.

Note, I am using profile builder to add the additional user fields I need (ibo#, company name, sponsor name, cell # and main #) and there's a tool that enables me to customize the columns i see in the users page. All of this is needed.

=====

FYI ... I have installed a system that is not yours called WPFront User Roles Editor which is what's managing what admin page menu items the user gets to see/access. Your tool didn't provide this at all, only menu items on the front end.

In the end, what i need to do is lock the site so
1. the pages and menus are viewed only with login
2. the menu links are visible to only logged in users
3. the link to the admin back end is viewable only by level b users
4. the back end has all user features (including user activity report) and the support features available to the level b user but nothing else.

what am i doing wrong or that could be done better to accomplish this?

thank you for your help. I need to sort these couple things so we can launch live and get the money rolling in lol.

Tracy.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @Tracy Renee

I hope you're having a great day!

1. By default, only admins should see the Test Memberships button. Are you saying that, when viewing your site as a user with the Editor or Contributor role, you can see that button?

I have installed a system that is not yours called WPFront User Roles Editor which is what's managing what admin page menu items the user gets to see/access. Your tool didn't provide this at all, only menu items on the front end.

Go to Membership2 > Addons and click the Details link for the Member Capabilities addon. Toggle the switches for both the addon itself, and the Advanced Capability Protection (screenshot). You'll then see, under Membership2 > Protection Rules > Capabilities that you can indeed protect certain areas of the admin by restricting the corresponding capabilities.

Then again, perhaps the WPFront User Roles Editor plugin you are using is doing a fine job and, if you're happy with it, then don't use the built-in features of M2. :slight_smile:

OK on another note ... The registration page ... I need to be able to customize it. I've read the support tickets on it, it requires hard programming? When will you have this fixed?

It's not broken. :slight_smile: But if you are using a different plugin for registration, you need to let the M2 plugin know about it by adding the required constant to your wp-config.php file. See the notes in the Step Three: M2 Pages section of the usage page for more on that:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#product-usage

i have everything working right without it running, then i turn it on and everything including admin features all shut down

That may actually be interference or misconfiguration of that User role plugin you are using.

Would you mind if we logged into your site to try to help troubleshoot these issues?

• Tracy Renee
    • The Incredible Code Injector

1. Yes, I'm saying that my account logged in as either contributor or now editor, is seeing the Test Membership button in the admin bar when they're in the backend of the site. Here's a screen cap: http://gyazo.com/f97a52861b9d8cfa7b649d9fb4144658

Regarding restricting by capabilities ... I have played with this, the capabilities ... and i cannot get them to do what i wanted to do which is why i added the role tool. perhaps this has something to do with the test vs. live modes?

i did enable you to have access to the site already, it's http://www.kodtv.info. Please take a peek. I just need it done. I if i can do it without user roles plugin thats fine, i have no urgent need to use more plugins, i just did so because i couldn't get the membership 2 plugin to do what i wanted.

thanks!

• Tracy Renee

omg lol ok i fixed the registration :slight_smile:

2 things left are:

1. the test memberships button for editor or contributor logins on the admin backend as seen in screenshot above ... and ...

2. the editor or contributor login needs to be able to see the user usage statistics for the user activity module on the back end when they login (currenlty says "nice try") and i think we're functional woot woot :slight_smile:

you rock

• Tracy Renee

about the potential conflict with user role plugin and capabilities ... i think the first time i hit test memberships, the user role plugin wasn't yet installed but at this point i've done so much i might be forgetting that part. i did play with capabilities, and set them up several different ways. what i found with them was the item was left in the menu, just didn't do anything when clicked (best case scenario) so i figured either a. i was doing something wrong or b. it didn't do things the way i wanted. My answer was to use the roles tool that i'd used for another project before and knew would do what i was trying to do. please feel free to show me where i went wrong with m2 :slight_smile:

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @Tracy Renee

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I can see Aicee is helping you on two different thread regarding your problems.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-2-hide-test-memberships-button-from-lesser-logins
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/make-user-activity-stats-available-to-lesser-logins

Its a good practice to crete separate ticket for separate issue (that's what you are doing :slight_smile: ) .

Feel free to post a reply here or create a new thread for your remaining points.

Take care and have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.