User behaviors vs System peculiarities, Upfront site building

Hello,
Some very patient people are getting used to seeing lots of questions from me these days.
The big question I have is, "Is it me?"
So far this has not been commented on.
Kindness? wpmudev policy?

An answer or insight does not have to be about me specifically, but I know that I need to understand if the problems I am having are because I am using the system incorrectly or because the system is a little bit unpredictable or buggy.

The things I am doing and asking about are basic operations- starting a new page, resizing a picture.

I have not found a predictable pattern to my behavior or Upfront's behavior in building a page.
Saving things is a good example. When and How.
Often, but not always, when I add a new page- the new page appears but it is all faded out.
There is no "customize" sidebar, the usually annoying "publish" drop down is missing and there is no home button. I hit the back arrow in the browser window and start looping back through upfront- homepage, customize,pages, edit page......

Then as I build the page there are many, many ways to save things- with the "Publish" drop down frequently... interfering(?).
The various saves include: Save, Save Element, Publish Draft, Done, Schedule.

I find it very frustrating and I still cannot perceive if I am constantly doing things "incorrectly" or if that is just how Upfront is.

If I am doing things incorrectly I need to be told- directly- you are doing this the wrong way.
In Upfront you have to xxxxxxx

If I am doing things reasonably I need to be told that to- directly.
What you are doing makes sense but sometimes Upfront does xxxxx

So, again, it does not have to be me specifically, but what is going on with Upfront?
Are user behaviors making things difficult?
Is Upfront especially quirky or buggy?
Or what?

Many thanks for your thoughts and insights,
Peter

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Peter,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Upfront does have a bit of a learning curve so it does take some time to getting used on how things work in there, especially since it's one of a kind system.

Let me try breaking your above questions one by one and hopefully I will not miss anything :slight_smile:

Saving things is a good example. When and How.

If you're making CSS changes you first need to save that CSS code you added by clicking on Save button in right corner and then save the changes in Upfront sidebar.
    If you're changing element settings you first need to save those settings before saving entire upfront changes, as above.
    Moving elements around and resizing them requires only one save from Upfront sidebar.
    This allows you to see changes in editor mode before actually saving it and showing changes to everyone.

Often, but not always, when I add a new page- the new page appears but it is all faded out.

I'm not sure what's exactly happening on your installation and we could have a quick look into it, but it would be best to have separate thread for that because this one will probably be long on its own :slight_smile:

Basically what should happen when you create new page is content being editable while other parts of the page are greyed out, and Upfront sidebar is not shown as well, it's something of a distraction free mode.
    You can now double click on title or content to change it and enter your own.
    After you're done and click on Publish button, your Upfront sidebar will show up and rest of the page will be editable as well.

There is no "customize" sidebar

As mentioned above, customization (Upfront) sidebar is shown after the page is published.

the usually annoying "publish" drop down is missing

It's possible something is preventing Upfront to load properly on your end, this could be looked in together with the issue of new page being faded out.

there is no home button

You are right, this might be useful to have somewhere for quick use.
    For now, if you have Home linked in your menu, click on the three dots below that menu item and it will show you Go to this page where you can click to go quickly to home page.

Then as I build the page there are many, many ways to save things- with the "Publish" drop down frequently... interfering(?).

Publish popup will show up when you click on title or actual page content, this is because this area is using default WP values and can't use Upfront elements in them.

The various saves include: Save, Save Element, Publish Draft, Done, Schedule.

This is related to the first question but if you need more clarification let me know :slight_smile:

Also, we appreciate any user thoughts on Upfront as we love to see user feedbacks that help us improve our products and make them more user friendly.

Hopefully my above answers are making a things bit clearer but if you have any followup questions let us know.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.