User generated gallery - where to start?

Hi There. First time here, so sorry for noobie questions. I want to start user generated gallery. It will be for showing users cars. Not classifieds, but more showoff. I would make classifieds as separate section.

For gallery - place where my user can upload images (and optional video), add description, chose some details for example categories (make, model, year, engine size, wheel etc) and upload that in gallery. Gallery should be searchable and homepage should look similar to WPMUDev Network theme - 3 or 4 thumbnail in the row. I prefer using Pronto theme (http://wpexplorer.me/demo.php?theme=pronto) due to it masonry dynamic layout - so can look nice on iPad, iPhone, etc,

Finally question :slight_smile: How do I start? Should I use WPMUDev's classifieds plugin and customize it? Or Network theme give me enough options (and later I have to come up with solution how to fix layout into masonry). I just started looking into your plugins and themes - there is a lot and looks good. What would you recommend me as the best shot to start this gallery?

p.s. I am not expert web designer, but have OK knowledge of wordpress, css, seo and similar stuff :slight_smile:

Thanks & regards

Dean

• aecnu

Greetings Dean,

Thank you for letting us know and the answers to your questions for the most part are certainly subjective.

Where to start? - With a MultiSite WordPress installation perhaps?

Should I use WPMUDev's classifieds plugin and customize it?

I have no idea on how you intend to use it or possibly customize it so therefore I cannot give a solid answer.

What would you recommend me as the best shot to start this gallery?

Being darn careful not to open yourself up to the c99 shell exploit which is specifically aimed at those sites that allow the uploading of graphics - Check on youtube c99 shell and you will see what I mean.

And Dean I will love to help with any issues you may have with your WordPress installation if indeed I can help, but the vision you have and the answer to it are indeed subjective.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT New Year!

Cheers, Joe

• deanl

Hi Joe,

Nice to hear from you. Thank you for your reply and comment. I agree my question is totally subjective - of course it is! :slight_smile:
    But as James said WPMUDev is like having your own Wordpress team - so I said let's chat with the team, and this is the first question I would ask :slight_smile: Sorry, maybe I posted this in the wrong section? Can you please advise me if there is more suitable section for this question?

But I consider it like question when I buy any product - I usually say what my needs are and people behind the company have great knowledge of their products and can recommend me suitable solution. Don't worry, I won't ask for fully developed gallery out of the box, but few ideas where should I start or look would be great. Specially as WPMUDev have few products that could be close - Classifieds, Directory, Network and similar related products. I am sure there was another person that try to use WPMU and your products and build something similar? Some kind of user generated gallery for photos and videos?

Re hacking, we'll I'll try to protect my website as much as I can. Safety first! I guess there would be plugins and tools that are not open to this c99 shell hack. Actually when I have you here - maybe you can help me by letting me know which plugin to avoid?

Re gallery, I built big websites (2M+ uniques/month) with galleries before. But in Drupal and I had 2 developers who mastered code. This is my try to build similar in WP myself. I am fan of WP, so don't want to give up idea that I can do something in Drupal, but not in WP. I'll make it work, just to find the right combination, hopefully with WPMUDev help :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Dean

• aecnu

Greetings Dean,

Thank you for your input as well.

My comment regarding the question being subjective directly involves/includes needing to know the vision which you have in mind to direct you in a manner that is consistent to that vision - and unfortunately to this moment I do not have one for what you are trying to express.

James said WPMUDev is like having your own Wordpress team

Even with this at hand one must give the "team" a vision of what one wants or it goes nowhere. I have lead many teams myself from being a Buck Sergeant to being CEO of two large corporations and I had to give my team detailed vision of an expected outcome or else the vision was never produced.

I usually say what my needs are and people behind the company have great knowledge of their products and can recommend me suitable solution

Agreed but that is in a world without infinite possibilities and in this case that is indeed what we have.

With that said, I will give my vision.

I would make a MultiSite and on the main site use the Networks theme to display snippets from each individual gallery which is created in the sub site the user created and adds content them self.

I would use Pro Sites plugin to control the sub sites to include available plugins and themes.

I would incorporate WP Smush.it plugin to crush the graphics on the fly.

I do not care for the social stuff so I would keep that out, and my servers are robust enough that I would not worry about using a caching plugin.

I would use the Wordfence Security plugin, the paid license to protect my network and block countries that do not play nice.

That is it in a nutshell.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.