User Levels = ? Blogs & more

Hello;

I am wondering if there is a plugin that can control a users membership level to how many blogs they are allowed to have? For instance - a Basic Level = 3 Blogs, a Medium Level memebership = 20 blogs and so forth. Allowing that user to only be able to create the amount of blogs admin has setup for them to create within the plan they chose.?

Also one other question - can someone tell me how I can setup a front end so a user can setup their blogs through my main website? so then the MU will then go ahead and set it all up.... Or is this something that has to be done manually for each blog that needs to be created for each user?

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Welcome aboard Shanni.

Can someone tell me how I can setup a front end so a user can setup their blogs through my main website? so then the MU will then go ahead and set it all up.... Or is this something that has to be done manually for each blog that needs to be created for each user?

That exactly is the whole idea behind the multi site and most of the plugins available here at WPMUDEV. To have sites easily created ("auto" created) at sign-up. NOT manually. :slight_smile:

But first you can start by reading on How to Create A Network. It is very well documented and a great help to all.

Have fun.

• Shanni
    • Flash Drive

Hello;

Thanks for your reply.

I have actually done all that.. its working really great. I guess I should have explained myself more about what I need.

I can go into my NW Admin and create the blogs no worries. I would like from my website interface have the member create their blog with a few clicks and input whatever information to have it setup for them.

What I dont want to be doing:

Is when a user signs up, that I have to go in manually into the NW admin and 'Add Site'.

I hope this clears it a little more.

Ta

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya Ta and first off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

As long as you've got the option to allow the creation of new blogs on your network setup in Network Admin > Settings, users will be able to create new blogs automatically.

To control how many blogs they can create though, I only know of one way currently, using the Membership plugin:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

Membership has a Blog Creation rule that you can use to limit the number of blogs users can create. Just to give you a bit of background on the setup procedure too, with Membership, users would first create an account, then they could option select a subscription plan (depending on if you'd like to provide subscription plans or not).

Once that's done, or once their account's created (if you're allowing free signups), they'll then be able to create new blogs from their dashboard area.

Perhaps that'll work for you?

@marikamitsos, thanks for your helpful assistance there, gave ya a few rep points for that! :slight_smile:

-David

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@marikamitsos,

I see davidm's rep points he gave you haven't gone through. Strange they usually are instant - the fact that the system didn't add them, must have been a glitch (server time out). Anyways, I just added a few points (he gave you 10 last time) so I added 10 for the ones that didn't appear from davidm this time :wink:

@Shanni,

As DavidM says membership plugin has a built in rule for handling blog creation.
    But if you're set on using digital access pass you are going to need to...
    hire a developer
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/developers/
    or post a job on the jobs board
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/new-project/
    or if you are so inclined do it yourself?

What you will need from DAP is a way to check if user is a member - active or inactive etc and then you can see how membership plugin handles it
    membership/membershipincludes/includes/default.rules.php: lines 1234 to 1354
    Hope that steers you in the right direction.

Sidenote: Wasn't aware that DAP worked on multisite? I admit I first played around with it when it was first released. So I am not sure of latest specs :wink:

• Shanni
    • Flash Drive

Q Jonathan

I think you are right. I have been having some trouble with the DAP since setting up the network.

I do have some questions regarding the membership plugin...

Becuase I have pages setup for the members (this was because of DAP) can WPMUDEV membership protect pages? or does it have to be Posts?

Does WPMUDEV membership or another have a drip feed option?

Can I protect some of the Forums from the forum plugin?

Thanks

• Jonathan

@Shanni,

You're in for a treat :wink:

WPMUDEV membership plugin is by far the best membership plugin I have come across PERIOD!
    And I have played with most of them.
    Firstly, you can protect posts, pages, menu items, categories, urls, etc etc.
    It also has add-ons for a whole bunch of plugins here - and even has buddypress rules.
    Drip feed: Absolutely, in fact here is some reading material to get you licking your chops :wink:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/drip-feed-your-content-with-the-wpmu-dev-membership-plugin/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/create-a-simple-tutorial-site-with-the-wpmu-dev-membership-plugin/

Forums? Not sure, haven't tried the forum plugin, but protecting bbpress forum plugin isn't too hard because it uses custom post types.

Anyways, read those tutorials I linked to, and browse the forums, and have a look at the membership plugin install instructions to get a better feel for how she works :wink:

• Shanni
    • Flash Drive

Hi again

I have another question, as I have already got many pages already setup along with the menus for the members area and ALL needs to be protected.

How do I go about this, as I see that catgories are the best way, but that would mean awhole new reconstruction?

Thanks I will look forward to your advice

• Shanni
    • Flash Drive

Hello;

Question relating to my first post. How do I give certain subcribed members a number of blogs to create? I still am not sure where to set these settings.. I have been searching for a solution but have been unsuccessful.

If anyone can still help on my post before this too I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advanced :wink:

• Jonathan

I personally prefer pages over posts and use a custom page template that restricts access based on subscription level.

For example:

if ( current_user_on_level($levelid) ) {
    		// show content
    	} else {
    // show something else;
    }

If you only have one subscription level, then making changes to the page template should sort out all the private content. And then create a special template for free content. I assume you have less free content pages and then you only have to change a handful :wink:

But, and this is the issue with migrating to another membership plugin. It is a lot of admin :slight_frown:

How many pages we talking about? If you are talking 100's to 1000's then maybe using phpmyadmin functionality will suit better to replace data throughout the database.

Question 2: Haven't used it myself, but I believe it is called "Blog Creation rule" and I believe you can change those settings on the level edit screen. Look somewhere there ???
    Perhaps a support staff could better answer this as I don't have experience with that option. But it is built in :wink:

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

@Shanni

How do I give certain subcribed members a number of blogs to create? I still am not sure where to set these settings.. I have been searching for a solution but have been unsuccessful.

I don't think there is a way to limit the creation of blogs to only certain members.

For the time being try this plugin Limit Blogs Per User.
    you will find its settings towards the end of the Network Settings screen. It works like a charm. :slight_smile:

• marikamitsos
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello warpedmind and welcome to WPMUDEV,

I'm confused.... don't most people want just one blog?

People way well want more than one site/blog. Why? One may want to have a business site as well as another/different site as a personal all time blog. At the same time he/she may go to a two months trip and want to have his/her traveling blog. That is 3 different sites already. You get the idea. :slight_smile:
    Keep in mind that on a multisite there is NO limit on how many sites/blogs one can create once (under Network Settings) you have "Both sites and user accounts can be registered." checked. That means you have registrations open.
    If not, no new sites can be created by visitors/users to your multisite. You can only manually create them in the back-end yourself.
    This are the kind of issues discussed in this post.

As you understand we don't talk about:

Or are you talking about allowing your visitors/customers to offer multi-site capabilities to others?

I hope these clarify things for you,
    Please let us know if you need further assistance. We are here to help. :slight_smile:
    Thank you for your time,
    marikamitsos.

• warpedmind

For the time being try this plugin Limit Blogs Per User.
    you will find its settings towards the end of the Network Settings screen. It works like a charm. :slight_smile:

Just an FYI, this Limit Blogs Per User plugin is not verified compatible with the latest WP. Not saying it doesn't work... it's just that you see the yellow "Not enough data" message there.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.