User Privacy Choices Overridden By MultiSite Privacy Default Setting

Hello Support Team!

I have a multisite installation running and I would like to implement the multisite privacy plugin to allow for some users to restrict access to their site for certain users only. I have been able to do this, but the problem now is on registration using the …/wp-signup.php page, there are options to select what level of privacy you want ranging from fully open -> administrators only. However, no matter what option I select during my test trials, the new site reverted to whatever the default setting was set as on the Network Admin side. How can I get this function to work so that users can safely select their privacy level without it changing the moment they log out.

Note: upon logging out, the site goes to whatever the default setting is, but when you log back in, you can change the privacy level under Settings->Privacy, and that change will stick. But the problem is that it should have been set on registration.

Thanks,

Daniel

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Daniel,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

I believe the phenomenon you are experiencing is because you have indeed network activated the plugin instead of site by site.

When activated site by site the individuals site settings should then remain as set.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• wcg@uci
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking a look at this with me. I thought the whole point of this plugin was to allow users to choose upon registration what privacy setting they would like for their site? I am indeed network activating this so that the options are there when the user goes through the wp-signup.php form. Perhaps I am implementing this incorrectly.

Would you please guide me through the correct way of using this plugin? I would like for users to be able to select when they register, what level of privacy they would like and when the site gets generated, that would be in place for them right off the bat. Is that possible? Or will I have to go in manually to change their privacy (or have them change it) each time for new sites?

(Edit) I have network deactivated it, and there is no option to turn it on per site. It looks like it is either on or off.

Best,

Daniel

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Daniel,

Thank you for your additional feedback which is not only appreciated but enlightening as well.

Upon review of the plugin itself it appears that it has gone through a lot of changes since I last visited it and therefore I am the one who has the intended use wrong.

Please accept my humble apology for this.

The first thing you may want to do right now is upgrade to the newest version 1.1.6.8 to see if it indeed resolves the issue you are/were having with it.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• wcg@uci

Hello Joe,

No worries! It is all a learning experience for me! I was reading through the forums and one older post seems to talk about how to “remove” the privacy options from the registration page, but that is just it. The setting in Network Admin to show or remove the options at the sign-up page are only for show and seems to not do anything. I will update it now (had 1.1.6.7) and see if it works!

Thanks,

Daniel

• wcg@uci

Hi Joe,

Let me outline what I did to help you understand what is going on.

1) I deleted the older 1.1.6.7 plugin

2) I uploaded the newer 1.1.6.8 plugin and then network activated it.

3) I then set the settings shown in my attached Screenshot1

4) I attempted to register a test site and made it "private" Screenshot2

5) When checking the privacy settings inside the dashboard of the test site, I see blanks in all of the options as shown in Screenshot3

6) I confirmed the site was not private at all by attempting to visit it in a different web browser

For your information, I am using Google Chrome on Red Hat Linux to sign up, Firefox to test the privacy level.

I hope this helps you figure out what is wrong and what I can do so that my users who sign up expecting privacy will not have their site accidentally open to the public without them knowing it.

Thank you so much for your help!

Daniel

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Daniel,

Thank you for the detailed information and the screen shots, they are extremely helpful in trying to get my head around what is going on there and I certainly appreciate the effort.

For your information, I am using Google Chrome on Red Hat Linux to sign up, Firefox to test the privacy level.

Red Hat is great and I use the opposite browsers for development and testing myself, but in this case there should be no consequence either way with the two browsers and you are certainly doing it right by using the two separate browsers.

Well it took a bit of configuring and testing as you are doing and I can indeed confirm that though the default privacy setting carried over the the newly created sub site, the choice I made when signing up made no difference whatsoever to the newly created sub site.

Therefore I indeed confirm the issue and I am now going to discuss it with the lead developer to get a fix sorted for you asap.

Cheers, Joe

• wcg@uci

Joe!

Thank you so much for following up with me on this! I am glad my screenshots were helpful for you to determine what was wrong. Now you understand the problem? Yes, upon registration, no matter what choice you choose, it is overridden by the default setting and that is confusing to me and users.

I hope you can get a fix for that soon so that I can implement it on my site for users who want to protect their site, limit to registered users, etc.

Best,

Daniel

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.