User registered with Membership is not active.

I noticed a number of similar topics on this subject, but they've all been marked as resolved.

After configuring Membership 3-RC2 I registered a new user on the main site via a Free account subscription prohibiting blog creation. But that user cannot not log in. The user appears in the wp-admin/network/users list, but log in attempts result in the WP error:

Sorry, this account is not active.

Only the following emails were received upon registration:
- Welcome email (Membership Communication), sent to new user
- Your username and password, sent to new user
- New User Registration, sent to Super Admin

No registration email was ever received by new user, so the confirmation link was never clicked.

I have the Free subscription and PayPal Express gateways activated.

Immediately upon registration, the new user was directed back to the /register page (showing his current subscription level) instead of the /welcome page I have configured for redirection of registered members.

What other information can I provide to help troubleshoot this issue? I'm providing no link since the site is in an unstable state while I continue configuration. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• jcnjr

Attempted to register new member with the same subscription and the actual redirection URL after completing Membership sign up screens is: /register/?action=registeruser&subscription=3

Still no registration email received. Is one sent when joining a site via Membership?

Also, with Anti Splog activated, when attempting to visit /wp-register.php screen says "Registration has been disabled" when it is enabled for both users and sites.

Hope this helps.

• Kimberly

jcnjr

Hi There! Sorry you are having such issues with your Membership

I would like to know if you are using PayPal and have IPN set up in your PayPal?

If you're not familiar with IPN you can find more info here https://www.paypal.com/ipn

To enable IPN you can visit you PayPal account and
    1. Click Profile on the My Account tab.
    2. Click Instant Payment Notification Preferences in the Selling Preferences column.
    3. Click Choose IPN Settings to specify URL and activate

Please let me know if this helps!

Best,

Kimberly

• jcnjr

are using PayPal and have IPN set up

Yes, I figured that was evident considering how I stated I have the PayPal Express gateway activated, in addition to the free subscription gateway which I understand is required for free subscriptions. Guess I should have been more clear.

I am also using Aaron's IPN forwarder and have triple-checked to confirm that all settings are correct in the array and wp-config file. The forwarder is working flawlessly for other sites where we run Pro Sites.

The network is still in a very preliminary state of development, but if anyone cares to see the issue in action, give it a try at http://veganize.us/register

I just tried again to register another new user with the free "Member" subscription level and again, I received no confirmation email even though the user was created. I did receive the email with username and password, but that user cannot log in, with the same error indicated above. Furthermore, when redirected to /register/?action=registeruser&subscription=3 instead of the /welcome page I created, the meta widget indicates the user is logged in, but that is clearly not the case.

FYI: These users do appear in "All Members" with the staus of Inactive.

The subscription plan is set to indefinite mode with period of 1 year, and price of $0.00

The only rule applied to the access level is Blog Creation: Negative

I do not see anywhere within subscription plan management to assign the gateway, and therefore assume that the Free Subscriptions Gateway will be used if the price is $0.00. However, after the two members being added, The "View transactions" screen for the free gateway reports "No transactions data for the Free gateway". This tells me there is clearly something going on beyond my control.

Has anyone successfully tested a free membership subscription? If so, please provide advice for what I may be doing wrong.

Finally, I have tried this with Anti-Splog both activated and uninstalled with no difference. I was also surprised that there are no admin screens for assigning PayPal API credentials like there is for Pro Sites, only the PayPal email address, unless I missed that somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help. Could this have anything to do with the site being a .us tld?

• jcnjr

Could someone please also confirm the proper procedure for successful Membership subscription? At what point should redirection to the Registration Completed Page occur? I'm getting immediately redirected to the register page with the current plan indicated. Does the user normally get the usual "check your email for confirmation link" screen? Just trying to figure out where this is breaking...

Thanks again!

• locomo

This is what happens for me:
    - new user completes registration
    - user is redirected back to "register" URL but now with a message saying "You currently have a subscription for XYZ subscription. If you wish to sign up a different subscription then you can do below."
    - admin receives new user email
    - user receives Wordpress email with their username and password but NO confirmation link

• Kimberly

are using PayPal and have IPN set up

Yes, I figured that was evident considering how I stated I have the PayPal Express gateway activated, in addition to the free subscription gateway which I understand is required for free subscriptions

Even if your process TO paypal is working it doesn't mean that your process FROM paypal is working. This is why I asked. My apologies, I should have been clearer as well. So to pinpoint, have you set everything up within paypal?

I am not familiar with Aaron's IPN forwarder, but the issue would be same, sending folk to PayPal and registration doesn't seem to be your problem, it seems to be the connection that is not being made when they return.

I created a test account and received my email with a link and my info.
    The "confimation" email is the one I received. I chose to signup and provided my password on the site, therefore I don't need to confirm anything exept receiving my info.

Do you have "enable incomplete signups" checked in the options?
    This will allow users to register without having to confirm anything.

• jcnjr

Thanks for your help Kim!

Yes, I have the proper IPN URL configured in my payPal account and it is working for all our other sites.

The email you received is not the confirmation email, only the login info. This is the same thing I experience when trying to register with a free subscription. Try to log in and you will see the account is not registered,

See attached screenshot of members listed as "inactive" after registering via the free subscription. Likely because no account was ever registered via the confirmation link.

I did not have the enable incomplete signups options checked, but I do now and will test further. I do not, however, want to check this option as we do not want to provide access to certain content and functionality unless a subscription has been completed.

I will delete you account now if you care to try again.

Regardless, don't you find is confusing that you wee redirected to the register page? I have a Welcome message page configured in the Membership options that you should have seen upon registration.

• Kimberly

Yay! Yes! It should say the Subscription!

I'm excited to see that , as it points to a solution!

The Admin value is leading me to think that you do not have Wordpress Registration Disabled on the site. This could very well be why nothing is happening as the site is using the standard WP registration and not the Membership Registration!

Can you verify that this is the case?

• jcnjr

Yay?

No registration is not disabled. By your response, I'll assume it should be.

As comprehensive as the Membership Manual is, there is absolutely no mention of this requirement in the PDF, or on the plugin's installation and Use page. If this is the case, I highly recommend the info gets added in big bold letters somewhere on the first few pages of the manual and clearly added to the usage instructions.

Off to disable reg and continue testing... let's hope it's that simple. (Don't mark as resolved yet!)

• jcnjr

You're not hijacking at all locomo! We're clearly experiencing the same issue.Problems persist for me after enabling registration.

No activation email is sent and user gets redirected to /register/?action=registeruser&subscription=3

User can actually log-in. now

Member shows as Active on Edit Members admin page, but gateway still shows at Admin.

Network registration is disabled.

Enable incomplete signup accounts is now checked. (Will this provide access to protected content for those who have not paid?)

Active Gateways:
    Free subscriptions gateway
    PayPal Express Gateway

No transactions data for the Free gateway

Hope this info helps someone figure out what's going on...

• jcnjr

Further troubleshooting...

After unchecking "Enable incomplete signup accounts" I was able to register a new free level member and was immediately redirected to my welcome page. Yay!

Member shows as Active and Gateway indicates: freesubscriptions, admin (Yes, both)

network registration is still disabled.

However: This membership level includes blog creation as a positive rule and I was never presented with the screen for creating a blog! And there is no add site link in My Sites tab for this user.

We seem to be getting somewhere, but clearly still need some advice here.

@locomo Try disabling "incomplete signup accounts" from Membersip Options to see if that helps.

• locomo

Okay - now I'm getting somewhere too. I already had Wordpress registration disabled and "incomplete signup accounts" disabled. But in the "Use subscription" dropdown menu on the Membership General Options tab I had selected my "free" subscription. When I change this to "None" i can now register and signup for the free subscription and my user is redirected to the Welcome screen - yay!

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding this or if its broken:

If you have free user registration enabled on your site, select the subscription they will be assigned to initially.

To me that seems like i should select my Free Subscription .. but in fact it seems that "none" is the way to make this work

@jcnjr - curious, are you using Buddypress? I'm having another issue where the buddypress xprofile fields appear in the membership registration form (cool) but don't actually get validated or saved (bummer). Wondering if you can confirm this behavior as well.

cheers

• jcnjr

Sorry for the late reply locomo, no we are not running Buddypress. But after hours of trial and error I'm still encountering the following issues and am hoping can someone help clarify if there is something wrong with how I've set up Memebrship...

In all cases, WP registration is disabled.

With "Use subscription" set to None and "Incomplete signup accounts" disabled:
    Registration of a Free subscription redirects member to /register/?action=registeruser&subscription=3
    Member is added to network and Membership site.
    Member is "Inactive" on All Members List with no gateway or level assigned.

With "Use subscription" set to Member (A Free Subscription Level) and "Incomplete signup accounts" disabled:
    Registration of a Free subscription redirects member to /register/?action=registeruser&subscription=3
    Member is "Inactive" on All Members List
    Member is assigned correct Subscription and Level
    Gateway assigned is Admin

With "Use subscription" set to Member (A Free Subscription Level) and "Incomplete signup accounts" enabled:
    Member is "Inactive" on All Members List
    Gateway assigned is Admin

With "Use subscription" set to None and "Incomplete signup accounts" enabled:
    Registration process included second screen showing button set in Free Subscription Settings
    Registration of a Free subscription redirects member to configured Welcome page!
    Member is "Active" on All Members List
    Gateway assigned is freesubscriptions

So, that last option appears to work properly but I am concerned about that "incomplete signup account option. Can anyone please confirm whether or not incomplete/unpaid account signups will expose protected content/functions to registered account levels with this option set? The feature description indicates that accounts will be enabled if it is checked, suggesting the user will have any access applied to that level.

Now that I finally got that working, I registered for a different free Membership level that allows blog creation (positive rule). Registration worked just like the last one I mentioned above, but the user was never presented with the screen for creating a blog and there is no Add A Site link on the users My Sites page in the dashboard. Sigh...

I changed network setting to allow site creation for logged in members, and that made no difference.

Thinking it might have had something to do with the member already being added to one blog as a user to the main site, I changed the Membership Access Level to allow creation of 2 blogs. Again, that made no difference.

How does a user registered via Membership create a site? If anyone has done this, please provide proper access level settings and rules.

Sorry for all this data, but I'm hoping it can help someone help me get this straightened out!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaching for straws: I have a negative rule disallowing blog creation for our free "Member" level. I have a positive rule set up to allow blog creation for our next free "Blogger" level. But I notice the member has been assigned "Member, Blogger" for both the subscription and access level. Shouldn't the latter override the first?

• Kimberly

Hey guys, I'm going to be setting up a test website to see what I can come up with as far as a concrete batch of settings

Can anyone please confirm whether or not incomplete/unpaid account signups will expose protected content/functions to registered account levels with this option set?

I believe that if the user cancels the PayPal process then they will have access to the level settings with this enabled. I am not 100% though, but I believe I saw this in a test environment not very long ago.

How does a user registered via Membership create a site?

Again, I'm going by memory, but I believe that it was asked during the Subscription process. You shouldn't have to post it as a negative rule if you have it as a positive for another level.

Which gateways do you have activated during this process?

You really should have a separate level for visitors created. A level that users see when they visit your site, totally separate from your membership levels. This sets the precedent for the following subscriptons.

• jcnjr

I'm going to be setting up a test website to see what I can come up with as far as a concrete batch of settings

That would be great, thanks!

if the user cancels the PayPal process then they will have access to the level settings with this enabled.

Then we'll definitely need to get this figured out. We don't want to provide access for those that don't complete payment for their subscription. I can't think of any scenario where anyone would want to do that.

I believe that it was asked during the Subscription process.

At no point during registraion/subscription of two different levels on our site was the user presented with an option to create a site. Feel free to give it a try at http://veganize.us/register

After removing the negative blog creation rule for our free entry level Member subscription and the Visitors access level, there is still no Add Site button anywhere on the My Sites page for these same registered members - neither the free Member level or Paid Shopkeeper level.

Which gateways do you have activated during this process?

We have freesubscriptions enabled (by default?) for the Free Member and Blogger levels and PayPal Express for the paid Shopkeeper level.

You really should have a separate level for visitors

We do have a Visitors level with no rules.

Thanks again for your help!

• PC

Just pitched in to say "Hello Everyone"

There is a similar thread going on here

I hope that you also keep an eye on that as It might contain something at some point which might help us with it.

Also as Joe posted there :-

We do need to get the PayPal IPN fired up so that it informs Membership plugin of the transaction.
    The items you entered into the plugin is one way - going to PayPal but now we need to set it up so that Paypal is sending the transaction back to you or rather your web site.
    When using PayPal Express Checkout you should manually turn on IPN notifications and enter your IPN url --> Log into PayPal and go to your profile --> My Selling Tools --> Getting paid and managing my risk --> Instant payment notifications --> click on update
    Turn IPN on and insert a URL something like: http://mydomain.org/paymentreturn/paypalexpress
    While you are in the profile it would be wise to also turn on autoreturn --> My selling tools --> Website preferences --> click on update
    Turn Autoreturn on and insert a URL.

Cheers,
    PC

• jcnjr

Thanks for chiming in PC, but:

Turn Autoreturn on and insert a URL.

Uhh... what URL would we include when using the PayPal Express and the IPN Forwarder to communicate with multiple domains running Membership, Pro Sites, etc.

Aside from the issues I've explained above and here, the user does get returned to the site after paying for registration at PayPal. So is AutoReturn really necessary to get this working properly? If so what does one do when communicating with multiple sites?

• jcnjr

@kimberly Thanks for looking into this. We've now registered at least 20 inactive test users. I'm not sure IPN is the issue though.

@PC Thanks, but I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about IPN and have Aaron's IPN forwarder script set up and functioning fine for various sites. Adding one autoreturn URL for PayPal when communicating with multiple domains, however, just doesn't make sense.

I'm happy to see some activity regarding this issue. But activating members is no longer our biggest issue. I have now successfully registered to users via the freesubsciptions and paypal express gateways using the following settings:
    - Enable incomplete signup accounts = checked
    - User Registration default subscription = none

One concern is that we do not want to offer account access for incomplete registration, since users should not be able to access content/functions they haven't paid for – I don't see why anyone would. But that setting is the only way we got this working.

My biggest concern now is that users have no option to create a site even though their access levels have a positive rule for blog creation. I've started a new topic about that.

Thanks again for any help!

• jcnjr

do you want me to test a subscription and cancel

Sure, thanks!

I would love to know if you're allowed to create a site, assuming I've got that working now! but if you can, we need to figure out how to get member activation working without the incomplete registration option enabled.

I've also temporarily changed the Shopkeeper price to $1.00 and will gladly refund your dollar if you care to go back and complete your registration for further testing... like if you can create a site, are you presented with the option during sign-up?

Thanks again for all your help!

• Kimberly

Ok I've done a test subscribing and get the link when I return from paypal. And the link works, bringing me to the screen to create my blog. I didn't actually complete this step as I didn't want to muck up your db with a fake blog.

I did another test where I cancelled the subscription within paypal and returned to the site. I was asked to select a subscription but when I looked to create a site the option was there. I think this is where the WP site registration settings come in. However, I duly note that you do not see this option on any subscription level unless the WP is activated to allow blog creation as per our other thread discussion. This is something that will need to be brought to the developers attention.

I did not actually create the blog, but I did click to see if the Add New Blog link would advance me to the Add Site screen and it did.

And don't worry about the dollar Just make sure you cancel the subscription lol

• jcnjr

This is something that will need to be brought to the developers attention.

Please do. I'll gladly offer the Veganize network as a testing grounds for any code revisions as I am eager to get this working.

As I just mentioned in the other thread, the final issue seems to be resolving that incomplete registration issue that is allowing unpaid members to access paid functions/content. To clarify, when I disable that option, members are not activated. And with it enabled, they can access blog creation before completing their payment.

And to confirm, just so developers know, the only way to show the blog creation link is to enable WP settings to allow blog creation for registered users.

Please advise if any other info is needed to help resolve these topics.

• Barry

Sorry, catching up on these as i've been unavailable for a while.

Now that I finally got that working, I registered for a different free Membership level that allows blog creation (positive rule). Registration worked just like the last one I mentioned above, but the user was never presented with the screen for creating a blog and there is no Add A Site link on the users My Sites page in the dashboard. Sigh...

No, they won't be - membership isn't designed to do that, it's primarily designed to protect content on a site.

• jcnjr

@kimberly I've deleted the memberships/users in case you wanted to test further now that I deactivated the free subscriptions gateway. But before I did, I noticed the members were active with no gateways or subscriptions assigned, just like the account I registered for "slimjim" in the attached screenshot.

@barry Thanks for checking in!

they won't be - membership isn't designed to do that, it's primarily designed to protect content on a site.

But the plugin is promoted as a way to... "run your own WordPress hosting business if you have a Multisite installation, yup thats right you could sell blogs on a subscription basis. Cool eh!"

We plan to operate one network on the Freemium model, offering free blogs with paid upgrades for premium sites. On another network we will be using Membership to offer paid registration for various levels of WP hosting.

We're almost there. just need to resolve that issue of unpaid subscriptions being able to create a site!

• Barry

"run your own WordPress hosting business if you have a Multisite installation, yup thats right you could sell blogs on a subscription basis. Cool eh!"

Nope - that's Pro-Sites - Membership is for "So if you'd like to create a site like GigaOm, Izzy Video, PSD Tuts or our very own WPMU DEV... now you can do that with ease!"

We plan to operate one network on the Freemium model, offering free blogs with paid upgrades for premium sites. On another network we will be using Membership to offer paid registration for various levels of WP hosting.

Yep, that sounds like the perfect model for the Pro-Sites plugin to me.

• jcnjr

Nope - that's Pro-Sites

My quote was pulled directly from page 47 of the Membership PDF manual, if this is not the case someone might consider clarifying that!

that sounds like the perfect model for the Pro-Sites

Not really, when we also want to protect content and have a private level for full-blown site creation, and we don't want t nickle and dime members with Pro Sites upgrades on top of Membership subscription.

I certainly appreciate all the feedback. Just looking for clarification about whether we will be able to get Membership working to accomplish what we're trying to do like I was led to believe by reading the manual.

Looking forward to the pending release.

• Kimberly

Well I had a chat with Mason yesterday as well as a quick exchange with Barry about the gateway/paypal cancellation problem.

My theory: I was allowed to see the content because you had incomplete signups enabled. When I canceled and returned I was assigned to the subscription because of that setting, without having to pay to confirm my subscription via paypal.

My suggestion: Turn off Free Gateway, make sure the Free Subscription Price is set to 0. Just use the one paypal gateway and we try again. It should work.

Whatcha think?

• jcnjr

Tried that, but after turning off the free gateway, we're back to square one with members being redirected to/register/?action=registeruser&subscription=x instead of the Welcome page.

Once the pending plugin update is available, I'll give it a shot and forward Member Admin credentials for you and Mason to investigate if problems persist. Thanks again!

Any ETA? I'm happy to help test code revisions...

• Barry

I honestly think that you are going to struggle a lot to get membership to do what you want it to without a lot of hacks. You can hook pro-sites and membership together, and use one for the payment and blog creation (I.e. The one that's designed to do that part) and then activate a membership with a custom add-on to protect content on the main site (which is what membership is designed to do).

• jcnjr

I honestly think that you are going to struggle a lot to get membership to do what you want

But Membership includes the feature to allow blog creation and/or access specific plugins only for certain levels. You're saying now it can't do that? If not, fine, but the feature is there so I thought it would work.

Based on Kimberly's last comment I guess I'm just looking for clarification about any pending update coming soon and whether or not it will address the issues we've discussed above.