User registration using mobile phone number

Hi,

Many of our users, mainly in China, ask if they can use mobile phone to register and to use SMS for receiving confirmation / notification messages, for example, generating a pin that sent through SMS to validate users' phone number, receiving order confirmation, order status update and delivery information through SMS. Are there any suggestions?

• Aicee Taguilaso
    • WordPress Warrior

Hi Eric,

I think that will need a lot of custom development. But I'll flag the second level support dev guys here so they can provide some insights on how to achieve this. Please keep in mind that developer response might be slower than usual staff response, so we appreciate your patience on this.

Have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Aicee

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi Eric,

I hope you are well today.

Hmm, I think for doing this, I think here is the flow
    1. A SMS server, the idea is when an user registered on your site, we will send a notification to the SMS server, which some information, and a SMS will send to client.
    2. After clients receive the SMS message, and text back, your SMS server will need to config to understand the text, and then send a notification to WP server, which will need to have some code to active the user, etc.

Some of my thoughts :slight_smile:. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to let us know so we can assist.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• Eric Y Y Chan
    • New Recruit

Hi Hoang,

Thanks for your reply. Let me elaborate our use case.

When users check out. Users need to fill in their email to create user account. Their account will be created using the email address. However, users in China might not have email. They are used to using their mobile phone to receive notification and confirmation. Therefore, we are looking forward to using mobile phone number for user registration.

Please suggest if WPMU provides any plug-in to fit our usage.

• Aicee Taguilaso
    • WordPress Warrior

Hi Eric! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, we currently don't have any plugins for this. :slight_frown:

As what Hoang has discussed, this would presently require custom development to implement.
    You can post a job in our Jobs Board where you can hire a developer to assist you further:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Please note that, no WPMU official staff members are allowed to work in the jobs board.

Have a great day!

Cheers,
    Aicee

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.