user role editor and marketpress

User role editor is a recommended plugin for restricting user abilities. I want to restrict user abilities so they just have access to marketpress in WP Admin..But does user role editor work with marketpress. Straight of the bat i dont think it does. Can someone confirm this.

• dfstorm
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Can i hear from someone who actually know's user role editor. I know there is several support staff who recommend it for use...but Ive tried it and it doesnt seem to work with MarketPress..... It feels like your just F^^K**G with me.

• dfstorm

Sorry Phil, I regret that cowardly post. Here's a screenshot of my issue. As you can see User role editor provides no options for marketPress products. Members is the same. So I've been asking and asking if anyone can confirm that MarketPress works with User Role Editor. The WPMU support staff recommend "user role editor" all the time, As a way to restrict users in wp admin to have access to only the marketpress products area. So id stop recommending the use of these plugins, because now you know, it doesn't work with MarketPress.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Okay, so MarketPress doesn't create any capabilities of it's own. I.e. there's no "create products", "edit products" kind of capabilities.

Instead, because products use a custom post type they are classed as normal posts when it comes to capabilities. Therefore, to restrict access to add/edit products, you need to adjust the 'post' capabilities such as 'edit_posts'.

I will however, pass this onto the developer for consideration as a new feature so that access to products can be set independently of posts.

Phil

• dfstorm

Right. Now i understand. Use the Page capabilities to restrict the access of other areas. One thing that bugs me a bit is the fact that you can assign a default role for new users in "User Role Editor" but by default Wordpress adds them as an administrator. Is there anyway to over-ride that wordpress behaviour so new users will be the default role that you specify?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I have a feeling that's down to the difference between single and Multisite.

For example, when registering for a new user account only any role can be applied but when registering a new site an admin has to be created otherwise that site won't have an admin.

I've had this issue so what I'm doing is changing the capabilities of an admin. That avoids the issues with plugins checking for user role but allows me to restrict what an admin can do.

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.