User Sync is not pulling users to child site

Hi there,
I have taken over the websites Testhudle and Eurostar from ebow.ie and they have installed "WORDPRESS USER SYNC" unfortunately this plugin has stopped sending new users to the child site and it is giving a " time out" when i tyr to user the "Sync all sites now" button.

I contacted wp engine and they told me;
"It looks like it's taking longer than 60 seconds to execute and it's getting killed by a script we have that will kill anything that takes longer than 60 seconds to execute. That being said, if this is something that is taking longer than 60 seconds to complete, it will not function on the server. You will need to look into making this process take less than 60 seconds to complete. Typically this is due to the content being larger and what we've seen that helps is breaking down the large content into section to complete in under 60 seconds."

The version of the User Synchronization plugin is 1.1.5
Wordpress version 4.4.1
Hosted with Wpengine

If I was to use the “Uninstall Options” and then re connect the two sites do you think that would help, without adversely affecting the users already on both sites?

Many Thanks for your time and help in this matter

Kind Regards

Cathal

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Cathal,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the info provided, it sure helps understanding the issue better.

I did some testing on my end to see what could be done in this case and I believe that if you start the process and then navigate away from the page it should still continue to import the users in the back it it shouldn't be interrupted by execution time limit.

What you can also do try is asking for your host to just temporarily increase execution time for initial import to finish and then they can set it back as continued sync will not last that long since it will import less users at a time.

Let us know if any of this worked for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Cathal

HI Predrag,

Thanks so much for getting back so quickly. I have now tried the first option you suggested but sadly still does not import the latest users into our sister site.

I have just emailed WPEngine to ask them about increasing the execution time for initial import to finish. However I am concerned to whether this will fix the problem of new users synchronizing going forward? It seems to have happened when i updated the 2 sites to Wordpress 4.4.1. This plugin has been working fine up until a week or so ago. We are starting to grow with concern as we are having quite a few members sign up lately and we would really like to get them onto our second site.

I will see if WP Engine can help with your suggestion and I will get back to you on any outcome from their response.

Many Thanks for all your time and help in this matter

Kind Regards

Cathal

• Cathal

Hi there,
    I have been in contact with WP Engine and they removed the script so that i could sync all users again. THis has worked and i was able to pull across 600 user that were not connected.
    Wp Engine reapplied the script and i tried to add a new user to the Master site to see if it would add to the Child site but unfortunately it did not. so i am still having the same issue but at least for now the most recent users are synced on both sites.
    So going forward we would be grateful of your help in getting the automatic sync system up and running again .

Kind Regards

Cathal

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Cathal,

Thank you for the feeback.

I think the main problem here is the strict limitation that WP Engine puts on script execution time. Most hosting providers let you change that limit either by yourself or by contacting their tech staff. It seems however that WP Engine is not willing to do this on a permanent basis.

There's also another factor which is connection between two sites that you're trying to sync. Plugins on both ends must communicate and perform a number of tasks locally and then exchange data. This may be unfortunately quite a time consuming task.

Having said that all, I'm forwarding this to our 2nd-line support team and hopefully they'll be able to find a way to deal with this. Please note though that this is a host-specific issue and may take some time to be diagnosed and fixed, our 2nd-line team is also dealing with a lot of complex issues on daily basis so I'm not able to give you any ETA on this.

That said, please keep an eye on this thread.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Cathal

Hi Predrag,

Thank you for your reply. This is unfortunate but I do understand. I was wondering if you could give me a ball park time frame of when you think this would be done, as in 3 months / 6 months / one year?

I understand you wouldn't know for sure but I need to let my team know what our options will be and what we need to do going forward.

Many Thanks for all your help

Kind Regards

Cathal

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Cathal,

I hope you have a nice day!

As much as I'd love to, I'm not able to give you any estimations on this. The "time frame" - not only in this case but in case of all other new features and bug fixes for all our plugins - depends on too many different factors for us to be able to estimate. I think I wouldn't expect this with the next release (though I may be wrong, hopefully) however I can say that "fixes" are usually assigned higher priority than new features.

I apologize for inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.