User Sync not...syncing!

User Sync is not working! I've run through all the troubleshooting options listed on your site, and even looked at the debug logs - nothing. Says the sites are joined, "error_reporting( 0 );" is added in wp-config.php, phpinfo.php is added and allow_url_fopen is set to ON on both master and subsite.

• Nithin

Hey admin@finegreenherbs.com,

Hope you are doing good today.

Not sure whether you meant that you enabled the debug log in the wp-config.php or the plugin. Just to be sure did you enable Use Debug Mode option in the plugin, as shown in the screenshot.

You'll have to enable the option in both the sites, once done all the related errors will get saved inside /wp-content/plugins/user-sync/log/ folder.

If you have already tried it, and it doesn't help much. Could you please send us your credentials so that I could give a closer look. Since your are using a trial account, I don't have dashboard access to the other website where you are trying to sync.

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    Master Site 1:
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    Master Site 2:
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials for both sites (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello admin@finegreenherbs.com,

Error logs of the sub site are not showing anything - each entry shows that user was moved correctly.
    I'm afraid I'm not able to access the cPanel because of the session error, so I can't check how logs from User Sync are looking on that site.
    We performer test of user sync on our test sites (clean WordPress installs) and users were copied correctly with passwords, so we can't replicate the issue.

Would it be possible to run plugin conflict test and sync new user to see if password problem will be gone?

As for the status - anything stored in wp_users and wp_usermeta associated with a user will be transferred over to slave site from master. I'm not familiar with plugin you are using to setup active/not active status, but if that plugin is not keeping those statuses in wp_usermeta table then it won't be moved.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• admin@finegreenherbs.com

I'm terribly sorry, but after so many days, this is not an acceptable reply. I have given you all the permissions needed, and you are going to have to be more clear about what issue you had getting in. I tested all logins.

I have tested this 6 times. All fields that need to be moved are in wp_usermeta. None are being moved over. Passwords are not being moved over - this has been tested multiple times. Fields in wp_usermeta are not being moved.

I am resending credentials, as previously requested and sent, per the above instructions. Please, I beg you to not let this go so long this time.

Please understand that with the credentials I have provided, you can go to the Master Site (medicinalrights.com) and register, only to see PARTIAL information flow over. Information in wp_usermeta (as setup and clearly identifiable in the UPME plugin for registration) is NOT being moved over. In addition to custom registration information, PASSWORDS are not translating. This combination of lack of appropriate info (file attachments - nice to have), lack of user statuses (critical) and password (critical) are causing our use case to break.

I have turned off UPME, the registration plugin, on the subsite and this has not changed the sync issues. We MUST use a custom registration process and since we are using wp_usermeta, I can't imagine that another way of doing this (which would also use wp_usermeta) would create a different result. In addition, this only started working today after I upgraded, so it's not as if this has been without issue so far.

Thanks so very much for your thorough testing and attention to this matter. I look forward to your findings and recommendation on next steps to permanently resolve this issue, in the morning.

• Nithin

Hi admin@finegreenherbs.com,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, and thank you for sharing your observation. I checked both your website, and I could see that the debug mode is already enabled in your Master site, but no errors related to it. The plugins error log in Master sites doesn't point out any issues, the responses does seem to be working fine.

It isn't a common that only partial information gets synced, since the error logs doesn't point out what's the exact issue here, we couldn't rule out whether this is a plugin conflict, or not too.

However, I'm not sure whether you have shared the FTP, or cPanel of the sub site? Please advise if I had missed that out, or point out the exact folder name of your sub site.

I have tested this 6 times.

I suppose you have done it correctly. But, just to be sure, you tested this by clicking the Uninstall Options button in both your sites, and then trre-syncing it? Right?

Since it's a live site, is it okay, if I could disable all the plugins in your system, and then try re-syncing it? So that I could check this with the developer for his feedback regarding what could have gone wrong here. Since it's a live site, I didn't perform any such changes without checking it with you.

Please do let us know whether you are comfortable with us testing this extensively in your website, so that we could have a better idea regarding what could be going wrong here.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

Nithin;

I did NOT click the 'Uninstall Options' button! I just deactivated.

Here is what I would propose. You have full access to both sites. We are 'live' but it's only been a soft go-live. We really need to get this issue (and a couple others) resolved before our full go-live next Monday. I am giving you full authority to do whatever you need, in regard to this plugin and any users. Please do not delete any users you have not created, but you can test, tweak, make changes as desired. Just keep me in the loop, here, and I'll checkin regularly.

Thank you!!!!!!

Nithin;

I've shared all the contact information for both sites, including WP login, and directory access. If it has not gotten to you, can you please do me the courtesy of calling directly so we can straighten this out? I cannot post it here, publicly, and have followed the procedures to submit privately twice. I really don't want to spin on this much longer and would greatly appreciate your understanding in the breakdown of communication and willingness to be more direct, at least to get things going!

Thanks!

Still nothing?!?! I have tried everything you asked. I have provided all the info you need to access every part of both sites that are syncing - and I have provided it twice. It has been over a week. The issues persist after installing/reinstalling.

Here is what I know:
    1) I install/reinstall and do an initial sync - everything works.
    2) I register/add a new user OR make updates to an existing user - wp_users data comes over, but wp_meta data does NOT come over. This is causing significant problems, including allowing users who are not approved to have access to a site they should not have access to.

Please advise.

Update: Passwords have stopped syncing again. This means that now on INITIAL SYNC, only the username and email seem to be accurately coming over. No password, no wpmeta, nothing else.

Each time I reset everything and test, it goes from perfect on first sync to progressively worse and worse. After a few tests, the only thing that works is the INITIAL sync - no other syncs on edit - and only the username / email seems to come over! If it works once, then stops working - that should help narrow things down.

Again - I have given you full access and permission to test, I only ask for updates and a window when you will be in there!!!!!!!

• Nithin

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Please do note, we have a queue to follow when it comes replying to thread, sending in multiple replies will bring the thread down the queue, hence delaying the reply. With that said, I'll be testing this issue fully in your system today, ie from now on, and will be prioritizing this thread, so that we could help get you sorted asap.

However, I tested the FTP credentials of subsite that you have sent, and it isn't working:

Status: Connection attempt failed with "ETIMEDOUT - Connection attempt timed out", trying next address.
    Status: Connection attempt failed with "ETIMEDOUT - Connection attempt timed out".

I thought the sub site folders access was also included in the cPanel login, but it isn't I guess. The FTP access what you had sent, unfortunately doesn't work.

Please do advise if I'm missing out anything, regarding FTP.

I checked the cPanel access, and now I get the following page, as mentioned by Kasia in her initial reply:

This seems to be a security feature in cPanel, which I'm not able to get past. Please correct it, so that I could start working on it asap.

Sorry for any inconvenience due to this, hoping to get this fixed asap. Have a nice day.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Thanks for sending in the credentials, I checked your website, and re-ran a new sync, and I could see the issue. The passwords doesn't seem to get synced, on checking the subsite error_log file, I could see the following error is causing this issue:

[2017-04-19 09:30:49][S] 04 - sending request: something went wrong=cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10000 milliseconds with 0 bytes received;;***

Could you please get in touch with your host, and see whether you can increase the cURLs operation time limit, and see whether it helps in this case:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21501159/curl-error-operation-timed-out

To rule out any max time out, I have increased the memory_limit, and max_execution_time for the master site to a minimum of 256M, and 300. That's created a php.ini file in the root director, and added the following rules in it.:

upload_max_filesize = 64M
    post_max_size = 128M
    memory_limit = 256M
    file_uploads = On
    max_execution_time = 300

Once the host updates the timeout, could you please try re-syncing by clicking the Uninstall Options, and please do let us know how the sync goes. I have also pinged the developer to regarding this issue, would like to know what your host has to say about this. Have a nice day ahead.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

I have requested the increase in cURL time on the master site. If this is incorrect, please let me know. I only hesitate to ask for the subsite as that team and I have a good working relationship and they will have questions about the plugin performance, resisting changing any settings until that is addressed. That said, if this is the ONLY solution, I will go to them. Please let me know.

I'm replying the above query raised by you in the email, through our support thread, would appreciate if we can have all the troubleshooting conversation in the thread. I was able to notice this issue in the subsites error log. If possible, could you please increase the time out in your destination site, so that we could rule out this issue. Once done, please make sure to click the Uninstall options button, and try re-syncing it again to see whether it helps.

I did check this error with the developer, and it seems like the server cannot connect with each other for some reason, we'll have to rule out all the possibilities that can cause this, so increasing the time out in your sub site would be one of it.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hope you are doing good today.

Thanks for the update via email, since you did mention that increasing the timeout isn't an option in your server. I'm bringing this issue into the Second Level Supports(SLS) attention, and I'm reporting all the issues encountered within the plugin to the developer in detail, so that we could get this sorted asap.

Please do note that developers work round the clock with many critical issues, and hence have a slow response time. However, I'm prioritizing this issues, so that we could get a faster response regarding this from the SLS team. Either myself, or the developer will keep you posted asap.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin