User Sync - problem with synchronization

Hello All,

This topic for everyone who has problem with sync when activated sub sites.

I will try to help you.

What I did:
I added feature for writing all actions (step by step) in plugin's log file. It's help me understand on which step you had problem.

What are you must do:
1. Select checkbox "Use Debug Mode" on main plugin page before select "Master" or "Subsite".
2. You should activated Debug Mode for both sites - Master and Subsite.
3. Try connect Subsite to Master site.
5. Copy log files /plugins/user-sync/log/error.log from Master site and Sub site, then rename them to "sitedomain.log"
6. Send links for download these files from the contact form on page https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ - with mark in subject [for Andrey]
7. Wait my response.

ATTENTION: Please, don't attached these files or links on them in this topic, these files may contain PRIVATE information!!!

• Incept-Network
    • New Recruit

Hey,

I recently purchased this plugin. To Sync my users from one site, to another site I set up recently. Both sites are on two different hosts. I tried the User Sync, and it syncs most of the users, however it comes up with a ' There was a connection problem. Please check the URL and Key of the Master site. ' after a couple of minutes.

Do you know what's making this happen? I tried the advice above, but no luck.

Cheers
    Jake
    Incept Network

• @wealthcop
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you for making this plugin.

I have version 6.1 installed and can get about 50% of the user synced before the connection error message appears.

As per instructions above, details have been submitted with links to the log files.

Thanks!

• @wealthcop
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I am not sure.

All I know is if I sync from the subsite end, I get "There was a connection problem. Please check the URL and Key of the Master site." after around 50% of the users are synced.

If I try from the master site side, I get "Synchronization of all Subsites completed." but when I check the subsite, the same number of users were synced.

• olafdruemmer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I am trying ouyt Beta 8 now - not working :slight_frown:

Having tried various WordPress instances I am kind of out of luck again.

One aspect might complicate the situation:
    - I connected a site as a subsite, got "Connection failed"
    - master site now nevertheless claims the connection is established
    - on the subsite I cannot "Disconnect" as from the subsite the connection was not established (I can only try again to connect, but it will fail again, even when trying to connect to some other master site); this imlies that I cannot get back to the choice of established a master site or subsite on that site; the "Uninstall Options" button does not do anything...

- how to I tell the master site to disconnext that subsite?

Thx

Olaf

• olafdruemmer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Doing some more experiments I finally got my first workign sync (with two small Wordpress sites I use for experimentation).

Now I am nevertheless stuck with the 2 sites that actually need to share user info. Part of the problem I seem to have is that some stray half-connection breaks the connection that otherwise might be possible.

In order to make some progress in analyzing the issue I believe I have to get a proper uninstall done for the plug-in on the subsite end (that's where I can neither successsfully connect [though the mast site claims a connection was amde and still exists] nor disable in a way such that the master site removes the connection from the list of known connections [because the Disconnect button doesn't work on the subsite, and I can;t get to the inital state where I can choose between setting up a site as subsite or master site]).

Any help more than welcome...

Olaf

• olafdruemmer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

And here is the log file from the master site that I get when clicking on "Sync all sites now" on the master site, with my "half made" connection (actual URL replaced with xx.xx):

[2011-10-04 23:49:26][M] 02 - sending request - url=http://xxx.xx/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=user_sync_api&str=23ef270672;;***
    [2011-10-04 23:49:26][M] 04 - sending request: something went wrong***
    [2011-10-04 23:49:26][M] 06 - checking key false;;***

When I enter the details (URL, key) on the subsite and then click on connect to master and make full sync, no log file is created (despite having checked the Debug option, and making the log sub directory fully writable), and I get the message "There was a connection problem. Please check the URL and Key of the Master site."

Olaf

• Andrey
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Olaf,

Thank you for access to sites.

Hm, but I can login only on the beta site.

But any way on the beta site I see on every page of adminpanel errors of JavaScripts in several plugins:
    "WP Live CSS Editor"
    "Quick Post Widget"

and sometimes in
    "Dashboard Site Notes".

It's independently activated or not the "User Synchronization" plugin.

I think maybe problem only in "WP Live CSS Editor" and other plugins are broken after this.

First, please try deactivate only this plugin and look result.

To search for JavaScripts errors I recomend use an extention for FireFox as "FireBug"

• Andrey

Olaf,

After you remove JS errors, please do the next:
    1. Click "Uninstall options" on both sites.
    2. Turn on "Use debug mode" on both sites.
    3. Try to connect subsite to master site.
    4. if you will get any errors of sync - give me the log files as it is written in instruction.

• olafdruemmer
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

As I was completely tired of the dead end situation with WPMUdev support not getting me anywhere (and as I was not yet ready to give up on the User Sync functionality), I asked one of my developers to look into the issues, and he told me the following:

- the main problem area is user_sync_send_request(…) {…}
    - the parameters for HTTP request timeout are inadequate
    - user account info is transferred through GET requests which usually errors out once the amount of data gets larger (and isn't the main reason for the plug-in to be able to deal with lots of users...? The plug-in won't really be needed for sites with just a handful of users)

My developer has adjusted timeouts, and he has also changed the code so it uses POST instead of GET.

So far it works, and works well, here (with roughly 150 users - though we are expecting many hundreds over time...).

And: the recommendations to look into other plug-ins and their JavaScript issues were not actually leading anywhere. We do have less than trivial plug-in setups, but everything else just behaves and works (minus minor issues that can't be avoided in such a scenario).

I have sent the changed code to Andrey - let's see whether he considers it a useful improvement and uses it to improve the User Sync plug-in.

• Andrey

Hi Olaf,

thank you.

Yes, you are right I should use the POST method.

But about the time-outs - I do not agree with you, I used value = '0 ' (unlimit time), it is needed if you have a lot of users - different value may close the request before the end synchronization.

I changed method on POST in the new version.

Again thank you and your developer for the help.

• hexagon
    • New Recruit

I manage a community web site with almost 500 users and I need to sync them to a sub site installed in a subdomain of said site.

When I do a first full sync, only the first 150 or so users get transferred to the subdomain. I get this error message:

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

When I retry, a few more users are synced. In the log files nothing strange shows up, the syncing process is halted, that's all. Clearing preferences or even reinstalling plugins on both ends doesn't solve the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya hexagon,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

A couple things to note: this thread is several months old and not marked as an open ticket (which means it's very easily overlooked). You're best bet would normally be to open a new thread specific to your issue.

That being said, I'm wondering if there's a server timeout issue that's happening and causing the process to be interrupted. Do you have anything in your sever error logs?

I'm gonna ask the developer to respond here with some ideas as well. Let us know. Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya hexagon,

Hmm, did some digging and found references to this as a mod_fcgid bug:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/apache-graceful-restarts-fastcgi-mod_fcgid-cant-lock-process-table-pid-151373-p2.html

Possible solutions posted there as well as here:
    http://rickchristie.com/blog/2011/note/apache-mod_fcgid-read-data-timeout-error/

Not sure what level of access you have to your hosting environment, but if you can't make the changes above yourself you will probably want to ask your host provider.

Let us know. Thanks!

• Bizolly
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi LesTP,

I'm not sure if my plugin is working. Am I suppose to see all of the same users at each sub-domain: all users? The only user that comes up on the sub domains is myself. Is this correct? I tried the option of unsync both main site and sub domains, then re-sync again but still the same. Any advice for me?

Thanks, Carol

• Craig
    • New Recruit

I am rebuilding my network and User Sync was the first plugin that I installed. I set the main site as the Master site, and then made another a sub site, and received the following error: "There was a connection problem. Please check the URL and Key of the Master site."

Below is the copy from the error log:
    [2014-05-18 01:07:54][S] 01 - new subsite conection - central_url=http://site.com;; replace_user=1;; overwrite_user=1;;***
    [2014-05-18 01:07:54][S] 02 - sending request - url=http://site.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=user_sync_api;;***
    [2014-05-18 01:07:54][S] 03 - sending request - response=0;;***

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi @srinione,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thanks for posting on the forum.

Ideally its not a good process to post on a thread 3 years old. The plugin has changed since then and so has WordPress :slight_smile:

To help keep support tickets separate, could you please open a new thread for your new question https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

This helps to prevent any confusion (for us) as I'm sure you understand.

This might also help other members looking for a similar answer. :slight_smile:

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great day!

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.