user synchronisation - central user database

Hello,

using user synchronisation as the basis and assuming custom development:

i want to collect users from various sites in a central user database.

can one site have multiple master sites with this plugin?
could this be done by customizing it? where to start? how would you do this?

could the synchronization process compare user data and update sub-site's profile only when needed?

how does it determine a user exists already? by email?

does a new user that is created by user synchronisation trigger the same actions as if the user signed up via registration form? e.g. would a newsletter plugin trigger and add user as if the user manually signed up?

two way synchronisation has been asked for in the forum for at least two years. i'd hope you can give us a heads up for where to start customizing... even if it's just creating a copy of the plugin and enabling multiple parent sites. that would come close to a solution by itself

thank you!
Tobias

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Tobias,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

can one site have multiple master sites with this plugin?

Technically no, as it's single site, this doesn't work with multisite, so you only have one master site and then the sub sites linked up to that if that makes sense?

could this be done by customizing it? where to start? how would you do this?

You can have multiple master single sites, but they wouldn't all connect up to each other, each one would be independent or did you mean a multisite?

how does it determine a user exists already? by email?

If the email and username already exists that user wouldn't be synced

does a new user that is created by user synchronisation trigger the same actions as if the user signed up via registration form? e.g. would a newsletter plugin trigger and add user as if the user manually signed up?

From testing it doesn't seem it does, but I have flagged the lead developer of the plugin for his valuable input on that.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack

• Tobias

Hi Jack,

thank you for your response:

when i said multiple master sites i meant multiple single install site's that are deemed to be masters by this plugin. all are masters to a single sub-site which is another single install.

You can have multiple master single sites, but they wouldn't all connect up to each other, each one would be independent or did you mean a multisite?

i tried. when i log in the sub-site the plugin only provides one field for one master site. to add more than one master site would be a huge step forward for everyone hoping for two way synchronisation! so if the lead developer could comment on how to change the plugin so we can add several master sites that would be fantastic!

If the email and username already exists that user wouldn't be synced

i checked the option: "don't override..." what happens then is that the plugin adds a new user called user_sync. i need the plugin to skip the user when it already exists (i.e. not override AND not create new user).

From testing it doesn't seem it does, but I have flagged the lead developer of the plugin for his valuable input on that.

yes, that would be great. have the system treat a new, synchronized user as a new user

looking forward to hearing from you and the developer.

thank you
    Tobias

• Maniu

Hey @Tobias

This plugin should be syncing changes made on user profile.
    When new user is being created, it is done by "wp_insert_user" function and it is triggering "user_register" action.
    Users are checked by login not by email.

Better capabilities are something to consider but overall the goal of multisite is to have sites that are sharing common user database so no matter how good the plugin will be, i think its still advisable to go with multisite config

Thanks,
    Maniu

• Tobias

Hi Maniu,

good to hear from you.

Unfortunately multisite is not an option. Each site is a single install and will remain that way. To make my case think of it as individual franchises. The mother company needs to aggregate the customer database without franchise 1 getting the customer database of franchise 2. Each franchise has their own individual install, with own plugins, themes, different databases, etc.

There is no way to share the same user database across all sites / franchises because they are legally different entities.

But the mother company needs to aggregate customer profiles, e.g. for a common newsletter.

So i really hope you can answer my previous question: how to make one sub-site have many master-sites and receive user profiles from all those masters?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you
    Tobias

P.s. it's not real franchises / mother company - that is a comparison to make my case. However my problem works just like described only on a smaller level.

• Tobias

Hi Maniu,

thank you for the input. I may try it out over the weekend.

Would it be possible to achieve what i need in a custom development project or is the plugin simply not laid out for it?

and i hope you can at least clarify the question why Jack brought you into this thread:

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thank you
    Tobias

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Tobias,

Hope you're well today,

Would it be possible to achieve what i need in a custom development project or is the plugin simply not laid out for it?

From what I can see here after checking this, I believe the plugin wouldn't be suitable for doing that even with custom development.

But hopefully @Maniu will be along asap with his valuable feedback on that and the other question about the sign up actions

Thanks for your patience and hope your having a great weekend!

Kind Regards
    Jack.