User Upgrading/Altering Subscription

Hi there,

I have a question on how users can modify their subscription settings once registered.

(Note: I wrote some background on my project here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/troubles-with-membership-plugin-and-registration but starting a different thread for this separate issue. Sorry for all the posts, I just want to document these issues separately while they are fresh in my mind.)

Question: how does a user change their subscription once they are registered? It seems the only place to select subscription settings are during initial registration but not after. It makes sense that they could do this on the “Account” page but there are no options there.

I found someone else asked this question a few months ago, but the functionality was planned to be included in a past release: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-does-user-alter-subscription-level#post-81786.

Also just a note that all of our “subscriptions” are free, so payment is not an issue.

As a related follow-up to this, I would also like to know whether you can control the subscriptions that someone has access to.

The reason I ask is that we are trying to use Membership as a registration platform for online courses. These online courses are meant to be pre-requisite for each other.

So an in ideal scenario, we would have a subscription for online course #1 which would contain 7 levels equating to the 7 weeks of the course. The subscription would “drip” out the weeks one by one, until once someone has reached the end, they would then be eligible to “upgrade” their subscription and register for online course #2, and the cycle would then continue.

I believe if I make online course #2 subscription private than no one will see it — I just want to control who can access it, for example, by having someone complete the “subscription to online course #1.

Does this make sense? Any way to do it? It is pretty critical functionality for our project so thanks in advance for the help.

Justin

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Question: how does a user change their subscription once they are registered? It seems the only place to select subscription settings are during initial registration but not after. It makes sense that they could do this on the “Account” page but there are no options there.

You need to create an account page and place the two shortcodes on that page (they are shown on the options page, just above the part where you select what page you want).

Then you need to set the renewal and upgrades periods in the options as well, and you should then have upgrades and renewal capabilities (depending on the gateway you are using).

As a related follow-up to this, I would also like to know whether you can control the subscriptions that someone has access to.

It would require development of a custom add-on for that – though once someone reaches the end of a subscription, it is remove from their account – so you wouldn’t know they had been on the previous one in order to enable the next (i think :slight_smile: )

• Justin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Barry,

Thanks a lot for your help — I had missed that second shortcode for the My Account page which is why I couldn’t figure it out!

Now, I’ve added both shortcodes and the renewal area does appear on the my account page, like the screen shot below.

However as you can see, it doesn’t appear to let the user do anything.

I have tested the subscription a few different ways — with an indefinite level, with multiple finite levels and with just one level that is only one day long.

No matter what though, it still says that the subscription is going to automatically renew, which doesn’t seem accurate, and it doesn’t give any option for the user to change their subscription.

If you have any ideas of what I’m doing wrong, I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Justin

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Hi Justin,

As we haven’t heard back from you we’re going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this thread as resolved.

If it wasn’t resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and, as always, for being a member of WPMU DEV, it’s a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Cheers, James

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.