%username% shortcode in link going to wrong user name

Hi,
I have a link going to http://www.fithappensla.com/gauntlet/members/%username%/groups/my-groups

I have a user "Brooke" who, when she clicks on it, it goes to the wrong username. I'm not sure why. The user name the link is going to is using is her first & last name. I've checked under "Users" and under "Members" (in Membership) and, in both places, her user name is "brooke"

Not sure why or what's going on. You guys have access, by the way, for another issue... if you need it.

• Vubiquity
    • Premium Content Services

Well, that's the weird thing. She's one of the only people who's user names I DIDN'T change! (They had all signed up with spaces in their names which was causing problems. Brooke, however, did not. Also, she's listed as an admin & superuser, if that matters)

Since first posted this, I changed her user name to brookepurdy (what %username% was going to) and tried the link. It worked! Then I changed it back to just "brooke" but it's still going to brookepurdy.

Conversely, I originally signed up as "Jess" but changed it to jessfinn, and MY %username% is working just fine.

Oh, and (as far as I know) she's the only one this is happening to.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, ice!

Did you happen to check what Brooke has her display name set to in her profile? Are there any fields there that list her as brookepurdy?

Is there anything unique about brooke? (I mean, I'm sure she's very unique in person!) like the only user with that particular role on the site?

This is a new one on me, but I can always count on you to keep us on our toes. ; )

We'll get this fixed! And I hope you're having a great weekend so far!

• Vubiquity

SOMEone has to keep you guys honest, hee hee.

She's not unique in that we're both admins, keymasters, etc...

She's the first user I added after myself. I'm not seeing her as brookepurdy ANYwhere on the back end.

This one isn't the end of the world as I COULD just change her username to brookepurdy and be done with it, but I wondered if you had any other thoughts on why that might have happened.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Ha! I like you. : )

I'm completely stumped on this one, which isn't the first (or probably the last) time, but this is a riddle to me.

OOH. Just got an idea. Is there any chance you installed BuddyPress, uninstalled it (even from teh database) and then re-installed? I had a somewhat similar issue on one of my sites a few years ago that resulted from two different attempts to install BP. (This was before I knew what I was doing, so grain of salt.) If I recall correctly, resaving my permalinks was the answer. Have you tried that by chance?

Let me know!

• Vubiquity

Hi Michelle, I like you too!

I did not install and then uninstall BuddyPress :slight_frown:

In any case, it's kind of moot, now since I've done a workaround with first-name/last-name now. Everything's working.

No idea why Brooke's user name is "brookepurdy" in the system, but if it becomes a problem again, I'll just change her user name to brookepurdy rather than spend agonizing hours trying to fix it.

I'm lazy.

Thanks for the help, though!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.