Usernames Ultimate Facebook - BuddyPress

I seem to have many problems with the Ultimate Facebook plugin and BuddyPress registration but I'll divide them by topic.

Specifically, when a user creates an account with BuddyPress registration with Ultimate Facebook, the username becomes their firstname_lastname.

While this is OK, I'd like the user to be able to create a username. Since /members is open to the public, I want our users to have usernames that don't openly publish their actual full name with the underscore.

I feel this is best for both security and privacy. Is there anyway to accomplish this?

• Patrick

Hiya @Justin

Have you checked "Allow single-click registration"? If so, then I believe the default behavior of the plugin is to auto-create the username based on the first+last names in their FB profile.

However, if you simply select "Allow users to register with Facebook", then they should be able to choose their own username. The following is quoted from the settings page:

By default, Facebook registration form will allow your users to register with their Facebook account, or with their chosen usernames and emails.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• CypressInheritance

This does not seem to work. When the box is checked, the plugin works and the user is logged in with username firstname_lastname as take from facebook.

When the box is unchecked, nothing happens when the use tries to log in to the site. There is a little animation for activity, then it goes back to the front page of the site with no login having occurred.

How can we get the functionality to work so that a user can log into the site using their facebook username?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Henry,

Hope you're well today.

Thanks for posting in this thread, however it might be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

Posting on old threads can also lead to us missing your questions.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original thread starter

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for you.

If the current thread is relevant then please feel free to link back to this in your new one.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Thanks for your understanding.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.