Users Can No Longer REGISTER - BUTTON is gone

Hi,

After I had a problem with my dropdown menus, using TwentyTwelve as my theme, and did not get an answer about the problem for SEVEN full days, and tried TONS of things to fix it . . . I finally went to a different theme that fixed it - Minimaze.

Used to be, when the user clicked REGISTER FREE, the Terms of Use page showed up (one of the Support people set this up for me when I was really new to WP and couldn't get the right page to show when someone wanted to register. They have to be registered to Add Content.) At the bottom of the Terms of Use page was a button to subscribe (Register). Our "subscriptions" are free. There is no longer a button at the bottom. Minimaze had moved it to the top left. So I went into the theme setup and moved it to widget footer 1 area. It doesn't show up at all now.

Between the AG Custom Admin and Minimaze we no longer can register users please, TRY to REGISTER FREE. I've had several people tell me, on FB, that they can't register. I am also opening up Support Access.

THANK YOU so very much for your help.

Mary

• Tyler Postle

Hey Mary,

Hope you're doing well today!

So it looks like there was a position style of absolute on the button and that moved it way to the top left of the screen and it blended in with the background so you couldn't see it.

I've added the following styles to fix this:

#post-415 .popover.button.blue {
      background-color: #1e73be !important;
      position: relative;
    }

These fixes will only apply to this post, just in-case you have buttons elsewhere that are currently working fine.

I added the styling to your custom css sheet via:

Appearance > Custom CSS.

Check out the page now just to double check it is all good again :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back Mary! Let us know if you need any further assistance.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Mary

Tyler,

Since you asked, . . . , how can I allow my users with 'Contributor' privilege to upload and post pictures in their comments? Do they need a different kind of membership or subscription? The ADD MEDIA button is not available to them. Is there some html code I can have posted to the page using Simple Custom CSS, in the guise of an ADD PICTURES button that will enable them to upload pictures that I can insert into the appropriate page(s) after review?

I've seen some non-WPMU DEV plugins that can do this, but you know how I feel about that.
    Mary :o)

• Mary

Ash,

There are some very bad results caused by this non-WPMU Dev plugin. I am not looking for a non-WPMU Dev plugin. I want something supported by WP Staff. Also, I can make all my users have 'Author' privileges and this would allow them to import pictures and other media into their new content, but from the looks of it, they can also delete content not made by themselves, add new categories and delete existing categories, . . . . WAY too much capability that could destroy a LOT of work.

I only want them be able to post new content INCLUDING MEDIA, NOT give them free rein to destroy so much if they wanted to.

There has GOT to be a simple solution to this that does NOT involve adding a non-WPMU Dev plugin. I am asking for WP Support for a WP process. PLEASE do not suggest non-WPMU Dev products.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need a WP fix. And BTW, this problem took 7 days to get answered, as did my previous Support question. WHAT is happening at WP that it takes so long to get support? We paid a LOT for premium, and the organization I work for will be paying a lot MORE when it comes time to renew. But the Support has turned into 1 full week for a reply?????

Mary :o(

• Ash

Hello @Mary

I hope you are well today.

If you don't want to use any plugin that you need to add some code. The following code should provide access of uploading media files to the contributor role:

if ( current_user_can('contributor') && !current_user_can('upload_files') )
    	add_action('admin_init', 'allow_contributor_uploads');

function allow_contributor_uploads() {
    	$contributor = get_role('contributor');
    	$contributor->add_cap('upload_files');
    }

You can add those codes in your functions.php in the theme, if you think your theme won’t be changed. Otherwise mu-plugins is the best solution. To use mu-plugins, go to /wp-content/ and find the folder with name 'mu-plugins'. If there is no folder in that name, then create a folder, name it 'mu-plugins', create a file inside that, give any name you like and paste the code in there. You don't need to activate that plugin. Mu-plugins means must use plugins, so it will be activated automatically always. If you use mu-plugins then add a php start tag at the beginning of the code.

About delay of replies, I apologize, that was not intentional. It's just we are getting lots of the threads and need to deal with some complex issues. But we are really working hard to overcome and the situation is improving and hopefully very soon everything will be on track :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Mary

Great to hear from you, Ash! And THANK YOU for the reply.

I looked at many of the 'remarks' from the ratings from User-Role-Editor. It seems to work well for most, but there were several remarks from users that reported their entire site crashing, apparently from using that plug-in.

When you said "You can add those codes in your functions.php in the theme, if you think your theme won’t be changed." it made me chuckle (laugh). The one thing we can all count on is change. So I never assume anything will remain the same.

Is there a WPMU developed plug-in that works like User-Role-Editor? OR, a WPMU developed plug-in that creates the mu-plugin folder or alters it, that can be used from the dashboard? I can not count on being the site developer forever, and when someone else takes over, it will just create more problems if I customize files not accessed by the dashboard. I know I can use the dashboard 'editor' to customize files, but not knowing which files 'may' be changed by future patches, updates, and releases does not guarantee that that custom code I added to files will be there after an update, patch, or revision.

There other way we can approach this may be to remove privileges from the 'Author', rather than add to the 'Contributors'. The WP documentation has the attached two charts about user roles. I created a new user with 'Author' privileges. Not only did they have everything the charts say, but they also could create Categories, delete Categories, delete existing Wiki entries, change the Appearance of the site, and so much more. We've had people registering and posting to out site that are not from the skydiving community. Their posts contained links that may have been harmless, or MAY have been a way to infect our site with malware or a virus. Their post also was content not relating to skydiving. Since I review every post before it is published onto the site, I promptly deleted their content and deactivated their membership. So I have a REAL concern about users coming in and possibly changing the site in ways that may be quite detrimental to our development.

Please let me know how you advise me to proceed - the safest way to not expose our site to malicious content/users but enabling our users to upload pics and other media.

THANK YOU again!!

• aristath

Hello again Mary, I hope you're well today!

Instead of editing files on themes etc, you can use this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/code-snippets/
    You can create code snippets from your dashboard, activate and deactivate them individually and manage everything from there.

It should make your workflow a lot easier...

It's best if you first write your code in your functions.php file to test it, and only paste working snippets on your dashboard.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Mary

Ari,

I checked out the code snippets plugin. Looks like it's just what I need, but it's NOT a WPMU Dev plugin. I am REALLY trying to NOT use plugins that are not supported by the WPMU Dev Support Team.

I was sent a message by 'Michael' when I sent you a message through the support email. He included a link to troubleshooting WP problems. One of the first things mentioned was to turn off all plugins. I understand why - especially when there are thousands of plugins out there that were not developed by WP staff and can/could cause problems.

It seems that IF every plugin and theme I use is created by WP staff, most, if not all of the conflict and compatibility problems will not occur. And if I have problems with your products, you will help me resolve them (and you have EXCELLENT overall support). :o)

For example: At the suggestion of WPMU Dev Support, I installed, activated, and used Duplicator plugin. It works, but I am NOT able to download the file to use on my localhost site. I keep getting a Network error. There's nothing wrong with my network. So it looks like I will have to save the file to the 'Cloud' then try to download it from there. I think the 1.7 Gig file size is the real problem. But I can't ask WPMU Dev about it because it's not your product.

Could you please suggest a WPMU Dev plugin that will do the same thing as code snippets plugin?

Thanks so VERY much for your help.

• calvinrogercanas

Hey there @Mary,

Hope you're well! :slight_smile:

Glad you trust and like us when it comes to support and products :slight_smile: Unfortunately we don't have a plugin similar to Code Snippet but don't worry since we suggest it to you meaning we know it works and the plugin's code is written well :slight_smile: Also, we are consistently trying to suggest same plugins depends on the situation.

Cheers!
    Calvin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.