Users can not upgrade their subscriptions.

Hi,

I have a page that is shown to registered users. You can see it with a free account at

http://xtools.ws/subscriptions/

This page shows the following message to logged in users.

"Your current subscriptions are listed here. You can renew, cancel or updgrade your subscriptions by using the forms below."

It then shows a list of subscriptions, their descriptions, but there are no forms or buttons. No way to renew, cancel or upgrade the subscriptions.

Please advise.

• Mathew - ThinkingMedia
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Looking at the source code (after desperation).

In the /classes/renew.form.php after line 337

// do an upgrade button
    $pricing = $subscription->get_pricingarray();
    if($pricing) {
    	if($currentlevel->level_price < 1) {
    		// We are on a free level, so need to do an upgrade from free
    		if($gatewayissingle != 'admin' && method_exists($gateway, 'display_upgrade_from_free_button')) {
    			$gateway->display_upgrade_from_free_button( $subscription, $pricing, $member->ID, $rel->sub_id, $sub->id );
    		}

} else {
    		// We want a normal upgrade button
    		if($gatewayissingle != 'admin' && method_exists($gateway, 'display_upgrade_button')) {
    			$gateway->display_upgrade_button( $subscription, $pricing, $member->ID, $rel->sub_id );
    		}
    	}
    }

The variable $gatewayissingle is equal to "admin". So based upon the above logic it will not show an upgrade button.

Why? What does "admin" stand for in this context. The user account that I was using to test this is not a Wordpress admin.

Please advise.

• Mathew - ThinkingMedia

After further digging in the source code this is what I think is going on.

for some reason, after users sign up for the free subscription they are assigned the default gateway to their membership. Which in my case is "admin", and when the gateway is set as "admin" the plugin will not render the signup buttons.

If I take a test user and move them to the paypal gateway via the members report, then the buttons appear. This still doesn't seem correct, because there is a button to cancel the free membership.

How can you cancel a free membership?

If I click the cancel button, then it says my free membership expires in 30 days, but can't find any way to cancel the cancellation.

Honestly, at this point I'm getting very frustrated. I've had 55 members signup in the last 48 hours and none of them can upgrade to the paid subscription.

I've read over the membership PDF manual several times (which seems outdated) and I can't figure out what's wrong.

At this point I figure this is a bug.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Matthew,

This is one of my least favorite things about this plugin! because it make me crazy for the longest time. I will tell you what it took me Forever to figure out.

for some reason, after users sign up for the free subscription they are assigned the default gateway to their membership. Which in my case is "admin", and when the gateway is set as "admin" the plugin will not render the signup buttons.

If your users are assigned to the Admin gateway there is no actual gateway for them to pass through to upgrade. In order for them to have a gateway to upgrade through they must initially pass through a gateway on their FREE membership. this means that you will start each subscription with a Free level and a price of 0.

You do not need a Free Subscription Gateway, you need to use the paid with a price of 0.

Some folks have a Free Membership that allows access to content. Not all Free levels are for trials, some are just to gather info. And some folks may want to exclude themselves, even from a Free account.

Can you provide some details on your subscription setup and gateway setup? I can login and peek if you like. If you want that I can give you my login creds, or I will be in Live Chat tomorrow AM.

Also, do not assign a membership level upon registration. This setting ensures that your members will go straight to the Admin gateway, which will start the insane process again of no buttons.

I know it's infuriating, however when you step back it all makes sense with the way the plugin was designed. There are so many ways to use it and it can be setting sensitive that it does get confusing.

• Mathew - ThinkingMedia

Any news on this issue? I'm still not able to upgrade members to subscription.

Either this is fixed, or I'll ask for a refund of my money cause this plugin was the reason I signed up. It's not worked at all and is taking up to much of my time. There are other membership plugins that appear more reliable then this one.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Okay, think we got this one licked outside of the forums here...

For reference to any following this: assigning a level to new registrants on the First page of membership>Options will automatically send your users to the Admin gateway, thus keeping them from seeing any other subscription options.

You should uncheck this unless your site is Completely Free.

Also, you will have to wait a day to successfully test the upgrade process as there is a built in check to keep your users from abusing upgrades.

Mathew please let me know how it turns out!

Best,

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.