User's management of chat facility

In the site link to chat plug in installation, wpmudev says "In any post or page, use the chat icon to embed a shortcode for your own chat!"

Does it mean that you may start a fresh new chat Of YOUR OWN from anywhere in the site?

My question has to do with chat plug in capabilities, which are not clear to me when I open the bottom right hand side window and ask me to "place code in between tags"

May I as a regular site member create chats on my own, and If this is the case, how do I go about? If there is a need to embed a shortcode to start a chat how is this done?

With regard to chats I may initiate, Can I target it to chat with someone in particular, or is it open to all site members for participation or to specific people I may be able to choose?

If this is the case, how is it that I, as a regular site member may be able to manipulate or manage such alternatives?

DavidM

Hello webbasica and welcome to WPMU DEV!

In the site link to chat plug in installation, wpmudev says "In any post or page, use the chat icon to embed a shortcode for your own chat!"

Does it mean that you may start a fresh new chat Of YOUR OWN from anywhere in the site?

To clarify, WordPress shortcodes are used within pages or posts (using the WordPress editor) to extend functionality, in essence, by embedding things like galleries. And the Chat plugin provides such a shortcode that you can use to embed a chat room within a post or page as you specify.

So with that, you could create a new Post or Page and click on the Chat icon as shown below, in order to create a chat window (or chat room) within that post or page.

My question has to do with chat plug in capabilities, which are not clear to me when I open the bottom right hand side window and ask me to "place code in between tags"

That's actually a message to simply let you know that you can include code within your chat, something web designers and developers may find useful.

May I as a regular site member create chats on my own, and If this is the case, how do I go about? If there is a need to embed a shortcode to start a chat how is this done?

The Chat plugin currently doesn't provide a way for members to create a chat except for you as admin to provide them the ability to create new pages where they could insert a chats themselves. Alternately, perhaps you might consider the means described below and allow members to use password protected rooms.

With regard to chats I may initiate, Can I target it to chat with someone in particular, or is it open to all site members for participation or to specific people I may be able to choose?

If this is the case, how is it that I, as a regular site member may be able to manipulate or manage such alternatives?

The best way I could imagine for you, as a site owner, to target a chat with someone, would be to create a specific page or set of pages where you insert a Chat, and keep the page(s) reserved for that use, perhaps by simply not displaying a link to it on site.

You could also consider protecting that Chat by using our Password Protect Selected Content plugin:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/password-protect-selected-content/

The two work very nicely together.

Cheers,
    David