User's roles don't exist in some subsites

I have a multisite where some of the subsites cannot add users with any permissions. I can add a user but they always have "no role". The dropdown where I select which type of user permission profile to assign is empty.

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Christian,

I'm trying to check your site, but credentials that were given to us are incorrect. I'm trying to login and I'm getting error "ERROR: The password you entered for the username is incorrect.".
    Would you mind checking those credentials again and sending me them through our secure contact form?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question :

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Kasia Swiderska
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress network admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Please confirm here that you send those credentials

kind regards,
    Kasia